Sample Workouts

Lap Swim (Cardio) for 1 hour - M,W,F (Mornings)
P90X Ab Ribber X - M,W,F
P90X Yoga and Upper body free weight exercises on Tuesday and Thursday
Saturday and Sunday - Rest days

Been looking at trying CrossFit, any opinions?

Been looking at trying CrossFit, any opinions?

I am a fan. I don't always follow it to a T as certain movements I wont or cant do. (I dont have rings for instance or a rope and I can't do over head squats because of a bad back) However, overall I find it to be an incredible work out. I feel like I did back when I was younger when training for ice hockey. When I stopped playing I moved to the normal work outs. I gained "strength" in certain muscles but my overall fitness declined greatly.

There are far more experienced cross fitters on here who can give you a better overview, but if your goal is overall fitness and you want a varied workout that is quick to the point and will kick your butt, you should give it a try.

Out of curiosity, with regard to something like CF, is it possible to cover major muscle groups (chest, shoulders, lats, etc) in a short timeframe? The nice thing about my gym routine is its brevity. Completing a weight-lifting session in approx. 20 minutes is generally my goal; I don't desire to spend more time in the gym than necessary.

My favorite workout is a three-hour surf session in waist/chest high sets, though.

Definitely possible. CF is extremely time-efficient. Some of the weight workouts seem abnormally short, but if you hit them with maximum intensity, you get the job done. It concentrates on the major muscles.

Starting very light and building up to working sets, anyone recognize this? ;)

Workout A
Sets x Reps
Squat warmup 2x5
warmup 1x5
warmup 1x3
warmup 1x2
working sets 3x5

Bench Press warmup 2x5
warmup 1x5
warmup 1x3
warmup 1x2
working sets 3x5