Sample Workouts

fender_jag

Anyone feel like posting workout routines?
I'll go first:

Weight Training
Warmup (jumping jacks or the like)
Bench press: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, progressively heavier
Incline Press: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, same
Lat pulldown: 3 x 10
Fixed pulldown: 3 x 10
Shoulder front raise: 3 x 12, 3 x 10, 3 x 8, progressively heavier
Abs/crunches: 50 - 100 on ab/dip stand

Hot tub. :)

BTW, any swimmers out there?

I have been a swimmer all of my life. I do laps at home almost daily. I usually swim for an hour (sometimes longer) at 30 minutes intervals. When at hotels, I hit the pool as well and I swim in the ocean when I can. I also do water aerobics and have some equipment for that. (water dumbbells, barbell, webbed gloves, aqua belt, wrist and ankle weights and water shoes) I do some stretches before and after. I love working out in the pool. It's really so much kinder to my old joints. I surf too, but not as often I wish I could. And yeah, the after jacuzzi is a must.

swimming_smiley_emoticon2.gif

I've always done the opposite when it comes to lifting. After I lift real heavy on the first few sets i'm pooped and have to lower the weight. I'm gonna try to break into swimming here soon. Haven't been in a pool in years. Heard that's some intense cardio

I have been a swimmer all of my life. I do laps at home almost daily. I usually swim for an hour (sometimes longer) at 30 minutes intervals. When at hotels, I hit the pool as well and I swim in the ocean when I can. I also do water aerobics and have some equipment for that. (water dumbbells, barbell, webbed gloves, aqua belt, wrist and ankle weights and water shoes) I do some stretches before and after. I love working out in the pool. It's really so much kinder to my old joints. I surf too, but not as often I wish I could. And yeah, the after jacuzzi is a must.

swimming_smiley_emoticon2.gif

Right on! I swim three days a week and feel so much better afterwards. If you want a really good lower-body workout when you're swimming, I recommend picking up a pair of Zoomers.

It would be nice to have a surf "Meet & Greet" somewhere. Maybe Tamarindo or J-Bay? ;)

Whatever the WOD is on crossfit.com!

I am not a full on believer in in cross fit , its a great exercise, but I think there is something lost by going balls out for only 5-10 minutes some days. For a good aerobic exercise you should at least get 30 mins of elevated heart rate in at least 3-4 days a week.

However, all it is cross training in a nice package which is beneficial to everyone. I feel certain elements can be skipped by certain people, say the 1-1-1-1-1 front squat day. If you don't have strong squat mechanics, you can severely injure yourself.

It's good to have a goal, not size, strength, stamina but a truly measurable goal. Gain 15 pounds of lean muscle, bench/squat/deadlift a specific weight or run a certain distance. Then develop a work out with those goals in mind. Find your deficiencies, work on those and then your overall performance will increase.

Doing your standard workouts where you set then rest is fine. You're at the gym which is better than most. But focusing on specific muscles over and over again will give you a "look" but it wont necessarily give you functioning strength. So you can do a lat pull down with 180lbs, can you do more than 5 dead hang pull ups?

Right on! I swim three days a week and feel so much better afterwards. If you want a really good lower-body workout when you're swimming, I recommend picking up a pair of Zoomers.

It would be nice to have a surf "Meet & Greet" somewhere. Maybe Tamarindo or J-Bay? ;)

Too many damn sharks in S. Africa!!! lmao But man, the waves there are long board nirvana. Costa Rica sounds better to me.

The Zoomers look interesting. I have never tried them. I have a pair of positive drive fins but I use them about half the time. I will use them for like half of my swim when I feel the need (have the energy and knees are happy) to power it up a bit. They do keep you balanced well and really make a difference in endurance and speed though. How do you think the Zoomers gold differ from the positive drives?

Have you even used or tried the TYR cross blade fins? Those are the one that I had considered looking at for a change up.

I am not a full on believer in in cross fit , its a great exercise, but I think there is something lost by going balls out for only 5-10 minutes some days. For a good aerobic exercise you should at least get 30 mins of elevated heart rate in at least 3-4 days a week.

However, all it is cross training in a nice package which is beneficial to everyone. I feel certain elements can be skipped by certain people, say the 1-1-1-1-1 front squat day. If you don't have strong squat mechanics, you can severely injure yourself.

It's good to have a goal, not size, strength, stamina but a truly measurable goal. Gain 15 pounds of lean muscle, bench/squat/deadlift a specific weight or run a certain distance. Then develop a work out with those goals in mind. Find your deficiencies, work on those and then your overall performance will increase.

Doing your standard workouts where you set then rest is fine. You're at the gym which is better than most. But focusing on specific muscles over and over again will give you a "look" but it wont necessarily give you functioning strength. So you can do a lat pull down with 180lbs, can you do more than 5 dead hang pull ups?

Some days you should only go ball-out for a few minutes. Other days you need to go longer. That's what CF is about--doing different things each day to keep one's body guessing and one's mind engaged.

It should go without saying that if you don't know how to do a lift, you shouldn't do it. Today, though, that might be too much of an assumption.

What a goal needs to be depends on the person. Some people need a tangible, easily quantifiable goal to work out the hardest. Others don't. Are you working out for general health, an athletic event, or to look good at the beach? Each of those is different and requires different intermediate goals.

I usually supplement CF with some extra cardio (running) and calisthenics, especially on the days when it's only doing low rep weight workouts. That isn't in keeping with pure CF philosophy, but it goes with my personal fitness goals. I like CF, but I'm not a kool-aide drinker for it.

Here's my bis/tris workout

Warm up light weight dumbbell curls 3 x 5
Warm up tricep "skull crushers" 3 x 5
Preacher curls 5 x 5
Weighted dips 4 x 8
Forearm curls 4 x 12
Chin ups (as many as I can do)
Pull ups (as many as I can do)
Dumbbell curls 5 sets (1 inside, 1 middle, 1 outside per arm = 1 set)
Unweighted dips

If I'm feeling up to it:
Tricep and bicep burnout where I pick a weight do 10, and then decrease weight down 10lbs do another 10, and repeat until I am at 20lbs

Cardio:
14% incline 4.0 mph for 30 minutes or until I finish my chapter in my book

I haven't done a conventional, "3 sets of 10," "5 sets of 5," etc, etc, weight workout in three years and I'm so much happier and interested in working out, plus I'm in much better shape. I can no longer go for the "back and bis/chest and tris/leg" workout splits or any of the rest.

Whether you do Crossfit or one of the other functional fitness plans that have been springing up lately, I think you'll find a lot more bang for your buck, plus workout variety in there.

I used to suffer from back problems UNTIL I started doing functional workouts. Since then, with a much stronger core, I haven't had a problem since.

I'm doing my own (probably screwed up, but i lack a squat rack) version of 5/3/1. Been using the weights off and on for a few months now but this is the first time I've had a program where the progression is clear. You don't grow very much without a progressive method of improving that is easy to keep track of =/

I haven't done a conventional, "3 sets of 10," "5 sets of 5," etc, etc, weight workout in three years and I'm so much happier and interested in working out, plus I'm in much better shape. I can no longer go for the "back and bis/chest and tris/leg" workout splits or any of the rest.

Whether you do Crossfit or one of the other functional fitness plans that have been springing up lately, I think you'll find a lot more bang for your buck, plus workout variety in there.

I used to suffer from back problems UNTIL I started doing functional workouts. Since then, with a much stronger core, I haven't had a problem since.

So true. Another aspect of the crossfit style is the competition with yourself. It's not just, can I add 5lbs to my max bench, which tells you nothing of your overall fitness. Its the constant pushing can I get more reps/rounds in the allotted time? How does it compare to the last time I did it?

Not to say there aren't elements of competition in conventional weight lifting. I just find croissfit style work outs to be more of a full on sport. The entire work out you are pushing yourself to be better, stronger and to not quit.

Anyone feel like posting workout routines?
I'll go first:

Weight Training
Warmup (jumping jacks or the like)
Bench press: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, progressively heavier
Incline Press: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, same
Lat pulldown: 3 x 10
Fixed pulldown: 3 x 10
Shoulder front raise: 3 x 12, 3 x 10, 3 x 8, progressively heavier
Abs/crunches: 50 - 100 on ab/dip stand

Hot tub. :)

BTW, any swimmers out there?

That's old school work out!!

I'd recommend breaking the mold and trying a high-intensity, functional, or powerlifting program. One, just to mix it up and keep things interesting. Two, you just might like one of those better! I don't want to be the "unsolicited gym advice guy" (God I hate those people), but those programs are becoming popular because they ate more effective for most people than the traditional programs I grew up with.

I'd recommend breaking the mold and trying a high-intensity, functional, or powerlifting program. One, just to mix it up and keep things interesting. Two, you just might like one of those better! I don't want to be the "unsolicited gym advice guy" (God I hate those people), but those programs are becoming popular because they ate more effective for most people than the traditional programs I grew up with.

Out of curiosity, with regard to something like CF, is it possible to cover major muscle groups (chest, shoulders, lats, etc) in a short timeframe? The nice thing about my gym routine is its brevity. Completing a weight-lifting session in approx. 20 minutes is generally my goal; I don't desire to spend more time in the gym than necessary.

My favorite workout is a three-hour surf session in waist/chest high sets, though.

Back