Salt Lake City freight gigs

A guy at my company was doing that commuting from Hawaii I think. Seemed like a decent deal but that's a long commute for sure.

Not really, jumpseat on FedEx or Alaska Airlines from HNL or KOA in about 4hrs with 1 leg. That's what I would have done if I was single and had it to do all over again.

I didn't pay the bill because I felt like godaddy was a bit of a ripoff. Haven't moved it, or really done anything much with it yet - been too busy, there was a bit of documentation on the 1900 I had stuck up on there, if you need any of it, PM me your email, and I'll send you the info.
Someone should make a collection of manuals and SOP type paperwork for all the various airplanes we've flown. I know I keep the book for every airplane I've flown. Never know when you might need it. I also have most of them in pdf to.

Heh. Seriously? Care to elaborate? Let me guess... can't hack it?

AMF has done a lot for a lot of peoples' careers.

OP: don't risk you career by getting dumbass advice off the Internet.
No hate here. It has done a lot for people. It has also screwed a lot of people over. The originator of the thread was asking for advice, and I thought all sides should be shown. And as far as not hacking it... I did over 3 years there. But to stay any longer would have been staying at a $40K job when lots of airlines (who pay more) were hiring.
Again, no hate. Just trying to illuminate some of the hard facts about freight gigs.

Fellas,

Due to well...America wide funding cuts...it's looking like I might lose my full time F-16 gig in Utah. I'm at about 1250 total time, with about 700 hrs in light singles, plus my military time (~250 in each of the T-6, T-38, and F-16). Are there any freight gigs out here in SLC?

Thanks!

You don't need much more time to reach FredEx numbers in which I will weigh in and say go with some freight carrier to continue with the PIC turbine time. You already have PIC tubojet time whereas FredEx drools over military jet time. Hang in there, good luck!

I imagine if you were willing to commute you could come up to Alaska and fly 2-weeks-on-2-weeks-off in a 207, the money is better than freight, and it's fun. That schedule is better than the feeder schedule too, honestly.

Can you elaborate on this Alaska flying 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off? That sounds pretty good to me. I am at 1200TT and 55ME right now, sticking it out instructing for the next few months to reach ATP mins. I am going to apply to some regionals but I am not to excited about the $ or QOL.

I am giving all options a serious look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you elaborate on this Alaska flying 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off? That sounds pretty good to me. I am at 1200TT and 55ME right now, sticking it out instructing for the next few months to reach ATP mins. I am going to apply to some regionals but I am not to excited about the $ or QOL.

I am giving all options a serious look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The big commutable ops up there are either ERA or Grant. You'd be right in there sweet spot as far as hours but unless they're hurting for pilots just emailing resumes up to the great white north probably won't do you a whole lot of good.

On the other hand if you were instructing in ANC you'd have a much better opportunity to find yourself in a bush position.

Also keep on mind that you won't get any multi time out there, so if you only have 55 multi you'll have to find another way to build up to whatever mins your regional of choice requires.

All that said, if you want a little adventure and fun (and yes, there is lots of fun flying to be had in AK) by all means go for it. Spend a year or two, but unless you want to be an AK lifer don't spend too much more than that.

If you want to get to a regional (which at the right regional aren't all that bad QOL wise) get your butt over to AmFlight, do your time in a Navajo, get some turbine PIC in the 99, then hope SkyWest is hiring then.

Check out the interviews section of oddballpilot.com for some good intel on ERA.

The big commutable ops up there are either ERA or Grant. You'd be right in there sweet spot as far as hours but unless they're hurting for pilots just emailing resumes up to the great white north probably won't do you a whole lot of good.

On the other hand if you were instructing in ANC you'd have a much better opportunity to find yourself in a bush position

Also keep on mind that you won't get any multi time out there, so if you only have 55 multi you'll have to find another way to build up to whatever mins your regional of choice requires.

All that said, if you want a little adventure and fun (and yes, there is lots of fun flying to be had in AK) by all means go for it. Spend a year or two, but unless you want to be an AK lifer don't spend too much more than that.

If you want to get to a regional (which at the right regional aren't all that bad QOL wise) get your butt over to AmFlight, do your time in a Navajo, get some turbine PIC in the 99, then hope SkyWest is hiring then.

Check out the interviews section of oddballpilot.com for some good intel on ERA.
It sounds like Era is fat on pilots right now. Or that's what I hear. It is possible to get multi time at era. But it takes time to get there. You can either be sic then transfer to the 1900.

I would avoid grant. They are having problems right now. They got rid of the 207s, and paychecks have been bouncing. They were having maintenance troubles.

I would avoid grant. They are having problems right now. They got rid of the 207s, and paychecks have been bouncing. They were having maintenance troubles.
Interesting. I did notice that they're transitioning to GA-8s. I'd be really curious to know how their AKN, CDB, and DUT ops are doing.

Hard to imagine a BET 135 op NOT operating 207s. What's the world coming to?

Interesting. I did notice that they're transitioning to GA-8s. I'd be really curious to know how their AKN, CDB, and DUT ops are doing.

Hard to imagine a BET 135 op NOT operating 207s. What's the world coming to?
I havent heard how their other operations are doing. All caravans in BET now, which is crazy. Hopefully they get things squared away.

I

On the other hand if you were instructing in ANC you'd have a much better opportunity to find yourself in a bush position.

Thanks for the advice! I am currently instructing in the Seminole and I will have over 100 hrs. by August. I am building good time right now so I will stick it out to get that 1500 even if I have to eat cereal for every meal!

Interesting that you mentioned AmFlight I have a few friends who went there and went to the 1900 relatively quickly. I am considering attempting the same but it requires a 18 month contract. What are the odds I sign that contract and the next week month (September-ish) Skywest starts hiring again....? Then again what are the odds 1500TT and 100 multi is competitive for Skywest?

Thanks for the advice! I am currently instructing in the Seminole and I will have over 100 hrs. by August. I am building good time right now so I will stick it out to get that 1500 even if I have to eat cereal for every meal!

Interesting that you mentioned AmFlight I have a few friends who went there and went to the 1900 relatively quickly. I am considering attempting the same but it requires a 18 month contract. What are the odds I sign that contract and the next week month (September-ish) Skywest starts hiring again....? Then again what are the odds 1500TT and 100 multi is competitive for Skywest?
It's a 12 month contract not 18.
I'd imagine the regionals will be/are taking anyone that has ATP mins. I wouldn't worry about being able to go to the regionals.

I thought you weren't too thrilled about the regionals? ;)

I mentioned AmFlight because if you had no way to build multi time that would be a good way to do it. Since you're an MEI it looks like you've got that part covered.

Honestly if corporate or medevac sounds like a good idea to you, you should look at AmFlight. Lots of guys on here can help you with that. If you're in Wyoming I could also mention Key Lime but I'll only do so with a lot of caveats that you can ask me about later.

If you're like me and your ultimate goals are 121 you should go to the regionals. Expressjet just announced a DEN base opening in August. Expect that to go senior but its another option if you're trying to stay west. Talk to jtrain609 about life at XJT and life at the regionals in general.

No 18 month contract that I've heard. We are hiring straight into the 99 now.

Rumor is FAA waiver for hire at 800hrs sit right seat for 100 more and at 900 your "golden"

But than again I'm known to start rumors.

Really Alpine and Key Lime are merging "Keypine"

No 18 month contract that I've heard. We are hiring straight into the 99 now.

Rumor is FAA waiver for hire at 800hrs sit right seat for 100 more and at 900 your "golden"

But than again I'm known to start rumors.

Really Alpine and Key Lime are merging "Keypine"

Keypine?

That sucks, I was hoping to get on with Grant when I graduate (cause they have a PADL base). Are they getting rid of their Navajos too?

I am considering attempting the same but it requires a 18 month contract.

12 month. but if you sign one for the navajo and another one for the 99 and then another one for the 1900, then yes, you could be committed to AMF for 18 months or longer, depending.

My buddy at skywest, was in a recent new hire class where all but one new hire had around 3,000 hours and jet time or turbine pic. The other guy still had 3,000 hours.
How long will they be able to be that selective? Who knows.

Back