Salt Lake City freight gigs

mhcasey

Fellas,

Due to well...America wide funding cuts...it's looking like I might lose my full time F-16 gig in Utah. I'm at about 1250 total time, with about 700 hrs in light singles, plus my military time (~250 in each of the T-6, T-38, and F-16). Are there any freight gigs out here in SLC?

Thanks!

Why go freight? look for something corporate/charter, or airline.
not to discredit OPs experience (which is worth a lot due to a lot of it being military) but finding a corporate job isn't just about the hours. It's the networking that will land a job if and when one is available.

Now charter, could be a possibility, provided the OP meets 135 mins which from the initial posting is hard to deduce.

You might want to look at the USA Jobs website. Just about every ANG unit around the country posts for flight instructor positions, and with your civilian and military background, you might be exactly what they're looking for. I don't know if you need to continue to live in UT to keep the gig you're doing, but I've seen quite a few instructor positions out there if you are military or have a military background.

JayAre is right. Go to a 121 gig. Don't risk your career on Ameriflight. The problem is, the jackasses in congress/FAA in all their wisdom decided guys like you are unfit to fly pax. You MUST have 1500 hours to go 121 (effective August).
If I were you, I'd get your CFI and instruct for 6 months to get the 1500. Most local schools would love to have a fighter guy to brag about.

JayAre is right. Go to a 121 gig. Don't risk your career on Ameriflight. The problem is, the jackasses in congress/FAA in all their wisdom decided guys like you are unfit to fly pax. You MUST have 1500 hours to go 121 (effective August).
If I were you, I'd get your CFI and instruct for 6 months to get the 1500. Most local schools would love to have a fighter guy to brag about.
thought it was reduced to 800 for military flyers...but I'm not sure

I imagine if you were willing to commute you could come up to Alaska and fly 2-weeks-on-2-weeks-off in a 207, the money is better than freight, and it's fun. That schedule is better than the feeder schedule too, honestly.

ppragman said:
I imagine if you were willing to commute you could come up to Alaska and fly 2-weeks-on-2-weeks-off in a 207, the money is better than freight, and it's fun. That schedule is better than the feeder schedule too, honestly.

A guy at my company was doing that commuting from Hawaii I think. Seemed like a decent deal but that's a long commute for sure.

Back