Sad Realization

I wish the OP would chime back in to elaborate more. My gut feeling is that he is the one of the guys who drank the company Kool-Aid. For some reason there are just too many guys at AMF with delusional expectations.
No it wasn't one of those. I came to AMF cuz I didn't know what I wanted and I figured it would be a good start. Now I'm looking around at what my options are. That is all.

No it wasn't one of those. I came to AMF cuz I didn't know what I wanted and I figured it would be a good start. Now I'm looking around at what my options are. That is all.
You're options are those that you have the qualifications for - Yes, it's that cut and dry. I'm sure everyone dreams about how they'll get some contact and miraculously become a street captain at some flight op, but in reality, moving from freight PIC to corporate / airline SIC is more realistic.

Go Jet hired some 135 guys in to the left seat, I believe. Prior to the new rule, obviously. And IMS back in the mid aughts Mesa hired some absurdly low time guys directly in to the left seat of the Dash...if memory further serves, they did not do so well in training, for the most part.

In any case, them days is over, friend.

image.jpg

Sadly, there are lots of Amflighters that go into that job with expectations of greatness. Sure, everywhere you go, people will say "Ameriflight? Well, I'm sure you can really fly instruments."

Hell, it alllowed me to skip the sim ride when I interviewed at my current job. But no one really seems to care beyond that. And the fact that Merlin captains from AMF with their golden 1000+ TPIC often end up as regional FOs should be telling.

But hey, don't you guys have a flow-through with Allegiant now? Or did you already jump ship?

So what was your idea beforehand? I am curious. You said the options that you had hoped for are now gone What were the options that you were hoping for?

Sadly, there are lots of Amflighters that go into that job with expectations of greatness. Sure, everywhere you go, people will say "Ameriflight? Well, I'm sure you can really fly instruments."

Hell, it alllowed me to skip the sim ride when I interviewed at my current job. But no one really seems to care beyond that. And the fact that Merlin captains from AMF with their golden 1000+ TPIC often end up as regional FOs should be telling.

But hey, don't you guys have a flow-through with Allegiant now? Or did you already jump ship?
Allegiant is still an option if I decide to stay for the "required" 3 years and meet the other criteria.

So what was your idea beforehand? I am curious. You said the options that you had hoped for are now gone What were the options that you were hoping for?
I'm still looking at corporate, air ambulance, and other 135 flying. Corporate was the original plan.

Hey, I went from AMF directly to 121 A320CA!

I did have to pass the 9-year training program...

Did you guys know "gullible" is in the dictionary twice?!

Yep, a page later and 121 ops in EMB-120's ATR-42's, SA227's, B1900's, CN235, etc etc don't exist do they? And those airplanes as so vastly different than a SA227 or EMB-120. Wait.......

I'm still looking at corporate, air ambulance, and other 135 flying. Corporate was the original plan.

I swear I am not trying to rag on you, but how did you think that flying 135 prop freight would qualify you for the left seat of a corporate jet?

Allegiant is still an option if I decide to stay for the "required" 3 years and meet the other criteria.

If you want to do 135/corporate type stuff....put on a nice shirt and tie, get your resume, and start knocking on some hangar doors.

Wheelsup is also hiring. It would be a good jump off company into that sect of the industry. They also pay really well.

They do there INDOC out of Bridgeport CT. Use those fancy flight bennies to get over there and walk your resume into their office. They are a welcoming bunch. My company did a charter for them a while back and their director of training gave me his card after a little small talk.

Don't wait on it. Get out there and make it happen!

I swear I am not trying to rag on you, but how did you think that flying 135 prop freight would qualify you for the left seat of a corporate jet?
I would expect nothing less from a website full of pilots. I never thought that about a corporate gig. Sadly only the regional is where I figured I might have that.

I almost did that @dbrault17 interviewed me for a left seat position in a Mustang a few years ago. I didn't get it because the people above him decided that they didn't want an extra pilot.

The metro is way more difficult to fly than the Mustang and the beechjet.

I wish the OP would chime back in to elaborate more. My gut feeling is that he is the one of the guys who drank the company Kool-Aid. For some reason there are just too many guys at AMF with delusional expectations.

People end up staying too long at AMF then get stuck. I feel for the guys who think they are going to try to make the Allegiant deal work, only to get stuck because of "needs of the company, we can't let you go thru that program"

Or you can go get some jet time, and apply to Allegiant within 6 months. Their mins are now 1500 and a ATP.

I almost did that @dbrault17 interviewed me for a left seat position in a Mustang a few years ago. I didn't get it because the people above him decided that they didn't want an extra pilot.

The metro is way more difficult to fly than the Mustang and the beechjet.

I have no doubts, Metro is a lot harder to fly than an Extra 300 as well, doesn't mean that anyone is qualified to fly an Extra because they have 1,000 hours in a Metro.

Flying a single pilot part 23 jet from a Metro at AMF is a totally logical move. I wasn't considering that aspect of corporate jet flying. I was more suggesting that flying a Metro single pilot at AMF in no way qualifies somebody to sit left seat in a large international capable, part 25 jet.

I think the FAA totally got he reg wrong.

it makes no sense that in theory

Fly Falcon 20 with pax or C402 with pax for a 1000 hours and that counts for the 121 world. But do the same thing with boxes in the back the time becomes absolutely useless for 121.

I think the FAA totally got he reg wrong.

it makes no sense that in theory

Fly Falcon 20 with pax or C402 with pax for a 1000 hours and that counts for the 121 world. But do the same thing with boxes in the back the time becomes absolutely useless for 121.

Of course they got the reg wrong. It was an emotional response from a very small interest group that pushed something through Congress. Hours were not the problem with the Colgan crash, and they aren't the solution.

Back