Saab to CRJ-200

I wouldn't say anything is similar, even the switches on the CRJ flip down(forward) to turn things on, it's kinda weird.

Ummmm, do some jumpseating on Boeings, Douglas's and selected Airbuses! :) Canardia got that one right! Ha!

The Swedes got it wrong eh!

Apparently Bombardier adapted the "Boeing" style cockpit where you flip the switch towards the windshield for on and the other way for off. At least that's what they tell us in ground school for the Dash. :confused:

Pretty much everything that crazyjaydawg said. Systems is a joke compare to the Saab. Although I disagree about people using too much rudder on V1 cuts I've heard Saab guys use too much aileron as they aren't used to near centerline thrust. Planes super easy to learn and it has the most forgiving landing gear in the world. Anyone can make a good landing in the CRJ.
As long as you delay your rotation until you get the amount of rudder in you'll need, V1 cuts are cake. Take your time getting it climbing and you'll be fine. Also, the 200 has a very forgiving gear. The 700/900... not so much so.

V1 cuts are a breeze compared to the Saab. As long as you keep the "brick" centered when you are single engine, you'll be fine.

If memory serves, you can just about do a V1 cut with rudder only in the -200.

Just pick a spot on the runway, hold the nose down until you are at about 15 feet (right after the computer calls 20), and slowly pitch up to just more than level. The plane lands 3 pointed almost. You'll start to get a feel for when to pull the power eventually, but about 1/2 at 50 feet and then the rest between 40 and 20 will work well most of the time.

As jynxyjoe pointed out, there is more than one way to skin a cat, but a fair number of captains I flew with used the above method. It is also what I found worked best for me. Biggest thing to figure out about landing the -200 is finding out what method works best for you.

If you are fast in the -200 by 5-10knts at 500-1000 foot with the right power setting just give it a few minutes the speed will come down. Don't go below 55% for more than a second once your below 500ft even if you are a little fast, stupid engines take forever to come back up (sometimes one will come up and the other is a good 3seconds behind). When you screw this up because you jumped 15knts and went back to idle (like the saab) and you're trying to get the power back, lower the nose a little to keep the speed. The engines are coming they just take a while

Again, good advice. Don't chase the trend vector, especially if it is showing just fluctuations in airspeed. If it is steady in one direction, do something about it. If it is gusty or bumpy down final, you will see a lot of fluctuation in the trend vector for your airspeed. Find a happy medium on the power and leave it alone. They taught us that landing weight plus 20 makes a good starting point for your N1 setting on approach when fully configured.

I personally found that the systems on the Saab were about the same as the corresponding systems on the -200. In the end, it is just details that make the difference. Keep in mind I went from the -200 to the Saab.

Or the Asian way...c172 to right seat b777. Go big or go home!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I did C402 to 757 at one point, though I had some previous RJ time. Unsurprisingly, it still flew like an airplane; in fact, easier than what I'd been doing.

dasleben said:
I did C402 to 757 at one point, though I had some previous RJ time. Unsurprisingly, it still flew like an airplane; in fact, easier than what I'd been doing.

You still with that 757 operator? You don't have to disclose if you don't wish, I just haven't been the best at keeping up with everyone lately.

Don't let the secret get out that airplanes are airplanes, man. ;)

(yes, before everyone piles on, they all have their quirks, oddities, and rough edges, blah blah...)

Jesus careful with that. Ive had guys tell me Im a worthless straight flying pilot (or what the hell ever it was) for divulging that secret. Autothrust Blue

I am largely a hack, but our training department is about to confer upon me the title of Airline Transport Pilot, Airplane Multi-Engine Land, EMB-120, with all the privileges and responsibilities thereunto appertaining, so I can obviously put on a good show.

I am largely a hack, but our training department is about to confer upon me the title of Airline Transport Pilot, Airplane Multi-Engine Land, EMB-120, with all the privileges and responsibilities thereunto appertaining, so I can obviously put on a good show.
Time to "fool 'em good"!

Back