Saab to CRJ-200

desertdog71

Girthy Member
If anybody has made the transition from Saab to CRJ-200, please share what your experience was like making the change. Things that were similar, things that were way different, things you struggled with in training and on the line.

I appreciate anything you can share.

The CRJ is easier in almost every category and it's more comfortable to fly. The Saab is more fun to fly because you're actually flying an airplane, the CRJ you're flying a half assed computer.

I wouldn't say anything is similar, even the switches on the CRJ flip down(forward) to turn things on, it's kinda weird. V1 cuts are 9.3 times easier and pretty close to a non-event, just don't use too much rudder as most Saab transitions usually do the first couple times. The one thing that's trickier is speed and descent planning. You can make the Saab fall out of the sky, but not true with the CRJ. With the jet you can either get down or slow down, but definitely not both.

You'll enjoy the training, take it seriously but have fun with it and you'll do just fine.

Its been a while since I flew the Saab but I don't have any other experience to reference against. I have zero glass experience and zero FMS, so those things have me more worried than anything else. I hesitate to look at anything online though because I don't want to confuse things in training.

Its not a bad transition. You will love the simple electrical system of the crj compared to the saab. It climbs about the same up high. Has a great roll rate.
I enjoyed flying the crj. The box takes some getting used to, just play with it a lot(twss)

Pretty much everything that crazyjaydawg said. Systems is a joke compare to the Saab. Although I disagree about people using too much rudder on V1 cuts I've heard Saab guys use too much aileron as they aren't used to near centerline thrust. Planes super easy to learn and it has the most forgiving landing gear in the world. Anyone can make a good landing in the CRJ.

I went from Saab 340 to CRJ-9 to CRJ-200. So this may not be terribly helpful but I'll try.

• The Saab and 200 both "feel" very natural on the controls. They are good planes.
  • The -200 needs the power out at 50ft, dive down and flare smooth. The Saab didn't do this nonsense so just enjoy learning something new.
  • If you are fast in the -200 by 5-10knts at 500-1000 foot with the right power setting just give it a few minutes the speed will come down. Don't go below 55% for more than a second once your below 500ft even if you are a little fast, stupid engines take forever to come back up (sometimes one will come up and the other is a good 3seconds behind). When you screw this up because you jumped 15knts and went back to idle (like the saab) and you're trying to get the power back, lower the nose a little to keep the speed. The engines are coming they just take a while
  • I do a lot of pitch memorization for T/O, go to 15 degree nose up until about 400 then let it come down slowly, more if your not flexing and light. 8 degree to clean her up to get to 200. Through about 10k I shoot for 4-5 degree and through 18K I shoot for about 2.5 degree. That'll keep you at speed or a little higher.
  • Get used to being busy on the power levers during the climb, and match them up so we don't have to listen to the stupid "waa-waa".
  • On the descent (down through 10k) power out and set VS about 1.6-1.9 (the lighter you are the faster it'll descend at same speed, it's not your imagination). Once you are going through 7k set VS about 1.4 because it'll jump up speed a little between the 6-7k and then you can push her back down about .2 .
  • I've learned to finger bang the FMS like a pro, just keep doing your J pattern and try to figure out any shortcut you can. I do the Flight page, then go to Acars and get ATIS then PDC (that order), when the atis comes in I goto the perf page and enter temp (remember runway you are using), then go back and get clearance. Goto dep/arr and put in departure, fix (if needed), then runway. Perf init page one with fuel (without the planned zfw, that's stupid to do) pg 2 winds, pg3 dept time (estimated). MFD and Radio's. Go back and set up departure runway and APU ON (this time of year) on config, goto second page of load and get in the fuel, hit legs, announce "legs ready". If the Capt doesn't care to do legs do them yourself and then open up acars again you'll be on the loadsheet page ready for the cargo load.
  • Bring the power up slow (and down slow), move the spoilers between detents slowly, and don't yank and bank. Compared to the 340 this thing is very roll sensitive, remember that less is more. Make sure you line up that nose with the runway prior to touchdown and you might slam it a few times, just don't land 3500ft down the damn runway.

Although I disagree about people using too much rudder on V1 cuts I've heard Saab guys use too much aileron as they aren't used to near centerline thrust. ...the most forgiving landing gear in the world. Anyone can make a good landing in the CRJ.

As long as you delay your rotation until you get the amount of rudder in you'll need, V1 cuts are cake. Take your time getting it climbing and you'll be fine. Also, the 200 has a very forgiving gear. The 700/900... not so much so.

• The -200 needs the power out at 50ft, dive down and flare smooth.

Don't do this. Diving is bad. You probably won't have a problem in the RJ, but if you carry this trait to bigger planes you'll risk taking out the approach lighting with the gear.

Just pick a spot on the runway, hold the nose down until you are at about 15 feet (right after the computer calls 20), and slowly pitch up to just more than level. The plane lands 3 pointed almost. You'll start to get a feel for when to pull the power eventually, but about 1/2 at 50 feet and then the rest between 40 and 20 will work well most of the time.

• If you are fast in the -200 by 5-10knts at 500-1000 foot with the right power setting just give it a few minutes the speed will come down. Don't go below 55% for more than a second once your below 500ft even if you are a little fast, stupid engines take forever to come back up (sometimes one will come up and the other is a good 3seconds behind). When you screw this up because you jumped 15knts and went back to idle (like the saab) and you're trying to get the power back, lower the nose a little to keep the speed. The engines are coming they just take a while

This is good advice in any plane. Don't pull the power to idle once you are configured and stable unless you are landing. Accept increases in airspeed but don't unspool the engines past a certain point.

• Get used to being busy on the power levers during the climb, and match them up so we don't have to listen to the stupid "waa-waa".

Yes please be the guy that hears that and takes care of it. You don't have to worry about it on the 700 with FADEC, but on the 200 you will be constantly syncing the thrust levers.
  • I've learned to finger bang the FMS like a pro, just keep doing your J pattern and try to figure out any shortcut you can. I do the Flight page, then go to Acars and get ATIS then PDC (that order), when the atis comes in I goto the perf page and enter temp (remember runway you are using), then go back and get clearance. Goto dep/arr and put in departure, fix (if needed), then runway. Perf init page one with fuel (without the planned zfw, that's stupid to do) pg 2 winds, pg3 dept time (estimated). MFD and Radio's. Go back and set up departure runway and APU ON (this time of year) on config, goto second page of load and get in the fuel, hit legs, announce "legs ready". If the Capt doesn't care to do legs do them yourself and then open up acars again you'll be on the loadsheet page ready for the cargo load.
A lot of that is company specific. PSA doesn't have some of the pages you mention there. They also have some other pages you didn't mention. The FMS will be one of the toughest things to learn. Just memorize some sort of flow that covers the required items and then as you gain confidence, you'll start to figure out where other stuff is.
  • Bring the power up slow (and down slow), move the spoilers between detents slowly, and don't yank and bank. Compared to the 340 this thing is very roll sensitive, remember that less is more. Make sure you line up that nose with the runway prior to touchdown and you might slam it a few times, just don't land 3500ft down the damn runway.

Yes. Yes. And yes. Be gentle. Remember that the plane was origionally designed much smaller (a Challenger) so a lot of the systems are not right sized for the CRJ size. The engines, the air conditioning and the control surfaces are prime examples.

Don't do this. Diving is bad. You probably won't have a problem in the RJ, but if you carry this trait to bigger planes you'll risk taking out the approach lighting with the gear.

Just pick a spot on the runway, hold the nose down until you are at about 15 feet (right after the computer calls 20), and slowly pitch up to just more than level. The plane lands 3 pointed almost. You'll start to get a feel for when to pull the power eventually, but about 1/2 at 50 feet and then the rest between 40 and 20 will work well most of the time.

Eh I agree with Bob about don't doing this method for any other airplane, and there are plenty of ways to skin the cat on this one, but don't be surprised if on IOE at pinndover you'll be taught this. It works, YMMV.

PS. Also I'll add, when you go fly other equipment it won't be because you bought the E-190 or Airbus 320 or whatever it may be, it'll be because you're at an airline or a corporate place that'll teach you how they want it flown. They'll know if you came from a -200 that you land a little weird. I spent 2300 hours on a -900, you don't land them like that, can't speak for a 700.

Cool, all good information. So basically fly it on and land flat. Thing could probably use some slats to correct that nose down moment.

Cool, all good information. So basically fly it on and land flat. Thing could probably use some slats to correct that nose down moment.

Then it would be a 900. :)

You'll be surprised how fast it comes together. The 340 to the -900 was pretty easy except for a good landing. -900 is a bit goofy how it can float knee high off the ground for 1500 feet because you carried 5extra knots. The -900 to the -200 I got four landings in before the gave me the sign of the cross and went on my merry way. I started by coming in a little low to get the sight picture of the -900 (and I still do naturally), but if you follow the ILS down and keep the autopilot on to 200ft and see what that looks like, you'll get what I'm talking about. Just gotta get the flare. The -200 is goofy and underpowered, but it flies well. It's yet another airplane (like the 340) where you'll like the airplane a hell of a lot more than the Pax do.

When you go to a -900 or something else someday with some slats you'll never have to do this stupid crash escape manuever again. As Bob said, you really don't have to, but I suggest doing whatever the IOE guy wants you to do.

You should make that suggestion to the Canadians. I'm sure they never thought of it.

I'm not biting today, Mike. It was you that suggested I tone down my online persona yet you wanna crack wise. I'll take it to get some good info out of people that actually can help.

The CRJ flies just like any other plane. In fact, I found the sight picture remarkably similar to the CJ3 I used to fly. Not sure how the Saab is, but I was flying the Brasilia prior to transitioning to the CRJ. The Brasilia is a rudder intensive airplane... It needs rudder input (from you!) for every power change regardless of what phase of flight you're in. Even when reducing power in the flare, a little left rudder is needed to straighten things out. The CRJ is DEFINITELY not like that, and it took a little getting used to not needing turboprop rudder inputs from me. My first couple of takeoffs definitely had excessive right rudder!

That being said, I predict your biggest challenge will be getting used to the automation. There's a totally different learning curve that will have to take place for understanding the FMS logic. I personally really like Collins stuff, since I already had a pretty strong background with Proline 21 avionics (the CRJ is just an older version called Proline 4). But people with no FMS background had a bit of a struggle at times. Nothing too serious though, everybody figured it out in time as you no doubt will too.

Training is there for a reason, don't worry too much about the airplane because it really is super easy and training will have you more than prepared for your checkride.

I wouldn't say anything is similar, even the switches on the CRJ flip down(forward) to turn things on, it's kinda weird.

Ummmm, do some jumpseating on Boeings, Douglas's and selected Airbuses! :) Canardia got that one right! Ha!

Back