Russian Airplane Cockpit Cam Catches Deadly Crash

The pilot on the left, during the approach, did not have one hand anywhere near the throttle, which I think is a mistake. Neither pilot touches the throttle until it's time to go around. So either they were doing a power off landing, or he attempted to flare with power in, which could have them to float, which might have triggered the go-around.

I don't quite understand what happened when they touched down, why they couldn't keep the wings level.

Kinda hard to charge a dead man with manslaughter considering he killed himself, but then again, who knows with the Russian legal system.

When I did my PPL about 2 years ago, positive exchange of controls with visual and verbal confirmation was a very big thing for the exam. I wonder how structured or strict the curriculum is for flight training in russia..

Unless there is a hilarious comedy of errors, involving partial nudity, I really hope my death isn't on video.

The probable cause of the accident is determined to be as follows: Loss of aircraft control following the fire and subsequent breakup of the number 1 engine nacelle, which occurred after a flight attendant and the Pilot in Command inadvertently bumped the thrust lever to the forward stop during high altitude cruise. The reason for this action is undetermined, however the board finds it puzzling the many references by poth the PF, PM, Jumpseater, and lead Flight Attendant to extreme turbulence expected ahead, however no pilots in the area had reported same and no weather products at the time warned of such conditions. Based on news helicopter footage of the event, corroborated with witness testimony, it appears as though the PIC and Flight Attendant attempted to evacuate the aircraft via the captain's side window and upper escape hatch, respectably. Both individuals appeared fully nude although there is no explanation as to the reason for this as the cockpit temperature was normal. Also puzzling were the many references to a crewmember named "Molly" made on the CVR however none such person existed on the flight crew that day.

From 0:30 to 0:33 you can clearly see the power being pulled back and corresponding reduced engine noise. He then fully opens the throttle at 0:36.

I just noticed this too, that power reduction can clearly be heard at 0:32, it just put them in the worst situation

I noticed the instructor pulling full back on the stick when they are over-banked and slicing through the trees. Shame, but this is really a case of the guy having to earn his own death, this video plays out like a "don't do this" instructional piece.

My assessment. The plane has two throttle controls. The student on the left flaired too high, pulled back after a gust dropped off, starting a stall, and the instructor added power to arrest the firm landing. Instructor took over the controls from that point. The student makes no attempt to fly except to manipulate the controls after the instructor takes over. Instructor never changes the pitch attitude after adding full power, keeping the plane slow and mushy at the controls. He also doesn't add sufficient right rudder and the left turning tendencies turn the plane to the left. Why he didn't pitch slightly down and add right rudder to correct this problem, I have no idea. Why he continued at a 30 degree heading off the runway, I have no idea. Maybe he was scared to bank right at such a low speed. I can guarantee he reduced power because he knew there were trees somewhere ahead and in the back of his head he wanted to stop. That's what you would do in a car and it's negative learning. He couldn't see over the cowling and panicked, just wanting to stop the plane right where it was, and reduced power. When he saw the trees he snapped out of it and went into, "I need to climb!" mode. I don't think he would've been able to out-climb the trees at that point anyways but he put in the power and pulled back more, which jumped him above the trees for a moment, but ran out of the airspeed and stalled. The reason for the left roll was a power on stall in a slight left bank when the stall occurred. Almost every left turning tendency was working against him at that point as well. Had it been higher the plane probably would've done at least one turn in a spin.

Because we all operate in that environment, where things can go horribly wrong in the matter of a few seconds, we can easily visualize ourselves in that situation. It also tends to color our perspective, and a large percentage of pilots use gallows humor as a shield against otherwise contemplating the horror of the event.

Truth.

It gets tense when someone at work dies an untimely death until someone says, "Was he senior to us?" :)

<— cracked a few jokes at his father's funeral to depressurize the event.

My assessment was the same, but then one of the guys on the investigation committee said that their uncut hires video shows more detail and that the things aren't as simple as they appear. Will have to wait for that report

Back