Russian Airplane Cockpit Cam Catches Deadly Crash

That was hard to watch. I have no clue what they were trying to do.

They were trying to survive, and in trying to do so, they stopped thinking.

TeP8yaW.png

The Russian website reports it was "Instructor 1st class" (whatever that means) and that he did not survive the crash.

Ironically one of the scariest flights in my career was with the Russian certificated pilot doing the rental checkout. He claimed tons of flying experience, did some decent airwork, good enough to make me complacent, and then nearly killed us on landing.

Don't quite understand why or what they were doing.

Why did the airplane break so hard to the left in the first place?

Why did they fly straight into an area with trees when there was a clear area down the runway length?

Y'know, the jokes in this thread just aren't funny to me. Something about actually seeing one of them die and the other in ICU.

Dammit. I never watch these things. I wish I hadn't watched this one.

Y'know, the jokes in this thread just aren't funny to me. Something about actually seeing one of them die and the other in ICU.

Because we all operate in that environment, where things can go horribly wrong in the matter of a few seconds, we can easily visualize ourselves in that situation. It also tends to color our perspective, and a large percentage of pilots use gallows humor as a shield against otherwise contemplating the horror of the event.

This is what you're gambling with in any aircraft. The possibility of a completely preventable death can be the end result of any number of mistakes you make in an aircraft. I know we don't think about that very often, but this is a direct view into what it looks like when you screw up and can't save yourself.

And this is just a GA aircraft with two guys on board, not an airliner with tens or hundreds of people in tow behind your mistakes.

If anybody is uncomfortable with that level of responsibility, they need to stop flying today. Fate Is The Hunter wasn't just a good book.

Last edited:
I'm in line with most of you in this thread, what the hell even happened? It didn't look like they lost power to me honestly, and I can't figure out what they hell they were doing with the turn towards the trees and that last turn, looked like it may have been a stall? Why the hell they got so close to the trees, who knows. This makes no sense to me, almost frustratingly so.

I remember the video years ago of the Cessna 180 that gets into a stall spin trying to out climb mountainous terrain. Hard to watch but it really shows, in living color, what not to do and how not to react. Something to be learned that you could read a hundred times in a book and not have it sink in like seeing it happen in a video.

I'm in line with most of you in this thread, what the hell even happened? It didn't look like they lost power to me honestly, and I can't figure out what they hell they were doing with the turn towards the trees and that last turn, looked like it may have been a stall? Why the hell they got so close to the trees, who knows. This makes no sense to me, almost frustratingly so.

This is what makes me skeptical that it was a student and instructor in the film, despite the reporting.

That instructor should be charged with manslaughter, and this is coming from a CFI. The gross lack of piloting that I just witnessed got somebody killed.

That instructor should be charged with manslaughter, and this is coming from a CFI. The gross lack of piloting that I just witnessed got somebody killed.

Back