Rumors, anyone?

chunk75

I've heard a nice, juicy rumor today....from a few different sources. Anyone else hear a good one? PM if you don't feel comfy talking "out loud"....

Chunk

No idea....I wonder if the instructor track is still a valid option...

It's like friggin' crickets out here! People, we've been waiting for this for a while now! Wake up!

Chunk

Sounds like good news to me! Just one more option available...This also shows that things are on the upswing.

This is excellent news. When I first read through the program description, it sounded like I'd have to get through the whole CIME and only after getting that Multi Engine rating could consider the ASA program. So I think I'm about a year away from applying for ASA.
But the program requirements are the exact same as they are for admission to FSI, except for that radio operator's permit. And it seems like the instructor track is obviously the best choice, unless one is in a real hurry to get in the right seat and avoid instructing, am I right?
I wish the best of luck to you guys, can't wait to join you down in Vero in a couple of weeks.

About the FCC license requirement....I am registered on the FCC site, and want to get the RTOP, but am a bit bewildered on what license to select from the list-Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is not a selection. Restricted Operator (Code RR) is an option, but there are several that sound correct. Anyone?

PSCraig,

I just did this whole process, so I got the dig. Since you already have your CORES registration number from online, now you just need FCC form 159'er and 605. Form 159 is for every fee you send to the FCC you need to include this form. Just fill it out with the information it asks. Form 605 is for the Radiotelephone permit. Fill out the main form AND schedule E, and you want the RR since you are eligable to work in the US ect. Send them both in with$50.

Chunk,

ASA's Direct Track reinstatement and ACA on board as well, this a really great news. Which puts all of us in a great position to get our training out of the way, and get well prepared, when out time comes. But I wonder if this course will include a systems class, glass cockpit and jet turbine before these regionals conduct any interviews. this would make sence and get the candidate better prepared. Any one care to provide a point of view.? TG123,Chunk, and regulars can you guy's look into this and please get some more feedback?

Best Regards,
Heat2151

I visited FSA about 2 years ago when the ASA was up and running. For those who don't know, cost was about $25,000 for the fast track program. You fly Seneca airplane doing 121 operations and Saab 2000 simulator doing 121 operations. All you needs was your CIME completed. You interviewed with ASA approximately a month before completing your last rating. On conditional hire, you did the Seneca/2000 thing for about 2 months. Upon graduating, you went to Atlanta for ASA! Two years agao, I also heard that FSA waived the CFII and MEI cost if you trained for 800 hours and they pay for the ASA $25,000 fast track cost. Please correct me if I am wrong because that is what I remembered from 2 years ago. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

This is what they told me in April of 2001. Sure hope they do that, I sure as hell can't afford $25k more. I kind of looked forward to a year or so in Vero /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

psgraig

I hear you man, 25k is a lot. That's why it pay's off going the CFI route. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I would imagine that very few can cover this, and go direct track, man it must be nice, but like all of us, we have to build up our hours, and have the school pay for the program. But still I'm going to see what marketing say's, regarding this course, does this course include systems, glass cockpit ect, ect before the initial interview with ASA or after the candidate get's the LOA.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I visited FSA about 2 years ago when the ASA was up and running. For those who don't know, cost was about $25,000 for the fast track program. You fly Seneca airplane doing 121 operations and Saab 2000 simulator doing 121 operations. All you needs was your CIME completed. You interviewed with ASA approximately a month before completing your last rating. On conditional hire, you did the Seneca/2000 thing for about 2 months. Upon graduating, you went to Atlanta for ASA! Two years agao, I also heard that FSA waived the CFII and MEI cost if you trained for 800 hours and they pay for the ASA $25,000 fast track cost. Please correct me if I am wrong because that is what I remembered from 2 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke with them yesterday and that's pretty accurate, but I think that it's $26k if you want the fast track. Everything of course is conditional on whether ASA wants you in the first place. From what I understand, an ASA captain comes down to interview the people who are interested in the program and that's how you get in...

Dave

Heat,

There used to be an ASA program for instructors too, when they finished 800 hrs they could interview and then do much the same course as the stduents who paid for it, without paying 25K. That doesn't exist anymore. Up to now, the last 5 months or so, FSI has given us the turbine transition course, to make their instructors more lucrative to being hired. But I have a feeling that is about to stop, because the SAAB sim will be used again now for the ASA program students.

I think that the instructor route will be available for the ASA program. At least that's what I was told...

Dave

Dave,

Good point and well said, the excitement of the fast track program comming back is making people forget that, after everything is said and done, it all comes down to will ASA accepts you as a candidate in the first place, offer (COE), and secondly, are you really willing to dish out another loan for 26K, adding to the current loan..wow talk about major debt. But I have to imagine that FSI fully prepares the candidates for this course, reason I'm saying this, is that this not for everyone.

As great as this program sounds, an extra 26K is a lot in my book, so I'll take my poor aspiring career /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif and go the long road, go the CFI route, pay my dues and have FSI cover the course, besides who knows, that if with all this extra incured debt, if after we become FO's, we will be able to pay off the loans with those salaries.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

TG123,

Would'nt it be in FSA's best interest to continue and support the current IP's, with these courses..Turbine transition, class cockpit and Saab sim time since you guy's basicaly hung in there during the past couple of months.?

Does it really help in the long run with these regionals if you as a IP, had these courses when you have to re-learn everything the ACA or ASA way.?

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Well, technically they are saying there will be another turbine transition class in October for the IPs, but....that remains to be seen. The reason behind starting it in the 1st place was the big SAAB sim was empty, and they figured it might help get IPs hired back when it wasn't going on.

I have heard it is a good program, as at the regionals some of my friends have said they don't spend much time on turbine stuff, they expect you to have known it or studied it on your own....which in that case it would be nice to have.

On the other hand, the hiring is so red-hot from FSI right now I don't think it matters if you have had the transition or not. The school is almost completely void of anyone over 1200 hrs. 5 more people are interviewing on the 21st at ACA, and that will leave just a handful of the 1200TT+ people. And the cool thing is, all we have to do is turn our resume into the career development office and they do all the rest of the work for us.

So yeah, FSI is still very interested in keeping the flow going, and keeping IPs moving on. They probably feel it just isn't necessary anymore b/c people are going to get hired anyway.

Back