Rules for an ATP to fly a trike.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
My excellent CFI research skills are failing me and I am not 100% sure of what I need to do.

I have my medical and ATP license then all I need to do is fly with a CFI and get a trike endorsement?

I was looking at buying a two seater to run fences and to check on cattle.

If it is used for "training purposes," I believe you can get an exemption from 103.. Otherwise, pretty sure you gotta register it as an experimental. ATP would cover you there, might possibly be LSA, I'd check with the ultralight folks on that. Either way, your already legal to fly it.

Watching the delta wings where I fly, I think the only real qualification is to not use your radio, but still let the squelch open all the time from the wind.

Isn't weight-shift another category? So, wouldn't you need the aeronautical experience and check ride, just like for instance adding rotocraft?

61.165 doesn't list anything specific to weight-shift though...

Isn't weight-shift another category? So, wouldn't you need the aeronautical experience and check ride, just like for instance adding rotocraft?

61.165 doesn't list anything specific to weight-shift though...
That's what I was trying to figure out. There are some things saying if you are already licensed then you just need to take some instruction and an endorsement much like HP or complex.

For a single seat nothing is needed. for the two seaters you need instruction from one instructor and another instructor to give you endorsement saying your proficient. At least that's how it was described to me by the guy who has one here

That's what I was trying to figure out. There are some things saying if you are already licensed then you just need to take some instruction and an endorsement much like HP or complex.

Yeah it's weird. It sounds like it depends on if you're using Sport Pilot privileges or Private Pilot privileges. If you want to operate with Sport pilot privileges (and limitations!), you can add a category rating like weight-shift or powered parachute by getting training and then doing a proficiency check with a different CFI 61.321.

However, to operate with Private Pilot privileges, you need to do the experience requirements and a check ride.

For a single seat nothing is needed. for the two seaters you need instruction from one instructor and another instructor to give you endorsement saying your proficient. At least that's how it was described to me by the guy who has one here

That would be if it were to be operated as a light sport though, correct?

I think the two seaters mostly operate on an exemption to part 103, I've never heard of one being operated part 61

I think a lot of the two seat ultralight exemptions have faded out with the addition of sport pilot. But regardless, if the aircraft has an N number you need a certificate to operate it whether 1 seat or 2 seat.

There's a place here that does Trike training and the two seats are Sport. It's crazy expensive though, they want like $30,000 for the Trikes and training is nuts (they say about $4,000 for 20 hours of training).

http://backcountryaerosports.com/

Yeah now that I look more into it, it is fairly expensive to buy these thing. They are the closest things to helicopters though and that way is not cheap at all!

Not sure bout how he operates it I'll ask him. He has a power parachute as well. I know another guy has a single seater and didn't have to get any training. He said only if there is two seats you have to actually have training

Some dude was selling a couple 1970's hang gliders on Spokane craigslist, you can roll your own.

I saw that. I also might be interested in one of those Quicksilvers. I've seen a few for sale as well and it is more of a real airplane :) .

That would be if it were to be operated as a light sport though, correct?

I think the two seaters mostly operate on an exemption to part 103, I've never heard of one being operated part 61

The 103 exemption ended with the advent of LSA. Contrary to what people would have you believe, the reason Light Sport/Sport Pilot was invented, was to get at the numerous people who were illegally operating under such an exemption from part 103.

I'm looking for something that I can chase cattle and run fences, so visability and slow speed maneuvering are big factors.
Ah, the Excalibur. Basically its a Challenger II, that a dealer who sold Challenger II's got chased out of selling, and then "improved" it. Lots of debates on it, neat little airplane though.

My question is, for that money, you do know you could get a small 2 place certified plane, right?

Back