Rules for an ATP to fly a trike.

My question is, for that money, you do know you could get a small 2 place certified plane, right?

Yeah you can if you shop around, but unless you want to do paid instruction then the advantage of a certified airframe is debatable for personal pleasure and utility flying. Also I think Chris wants it as a ranch airplane for low and slow fence and herd patrol so having something really light that can operate off a 250' field and stall at 30mph in case he has to put it into the brush is probably important to him. Then there's the cheap maintenance of a Rotax power plant, which is pretty appealing.

So what you really need is an R22. You doing this for yourself or for other people?

For myself.

You don't really need a helicopter for the majority of the stuff we do. You just fly the miles of fence, note where there is a problem and then ride direct to it with a horse.

When herding them by air all you have to do is get some of them moving and the rest tend to follow with a little encouraging with people or dogs on the ground.

For myself.

You don't really need a helicopter for the majority of the stuff we do. You just fly the miles of fence, note where there is a problem and then ride direct to it with a horse.

When herding them by air all you have to do is get some of them moving and the rest tend to follow with a little encouraging with people or dogs on the ground.

Ah ok, I can see why you'd want an experimental job now. As for herding from the air, I'm very familiar with how easy it is to move animals from the air. Cows really don't like airships, and most animals do funny things when we fly over

I would sooooo live out my childhood fantasy of having an ultralight with bottle rocket launchers on it, to help "motivate" the cattle.

Ah ok, I can see why you'd want an experimental job now. As for herding from the air, I'm very familiar with how easy it is to move animals from the air. Cows really don't like airships, and most animals do funny things when we fly over

That's because they think you are the aliens, returning for another cow abduction!

Back