Routes to Kathmandu

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
I’d ask this in the Corpie thread, but it’s dead there. This fall it looks like we’re headed to Kathmandu for a week, wondering if people have a favorite route through all that fun airspace (Ukraine,Russia,Turkey,Iran,Iraq and all the stans). I know we can get through via Uzbekistan, but kinda thinking Tech in LIRA, then spend the night in Dubai before heading up. TBH I was t expecting to do a ME tour and have not been paying a ton of attention recently.

propilotworld.com is where you need to go with that question. Way more international corporate operators over there. Last time I was over there was 2016 so my experience is pretty stale but we would do Turkey, Iran, UAE, or UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, depending on which passengers were aboard, some refused to overfly Iran. They might be overflying Iraq again now that the ISIS war is over but I really don't know.

propilotworld.com is where you need to go with that question. Way more international corporate operators over there. Last time I was over there was 2016 so my experience is pretty stale but we would do Turkey, Iran, UAE, or UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, depending on which passengers were aboard, some refused to overfly Iran. They might be overflying Iraq again now that the ISIS war is over but I really don't know.
IRAN is no fly and IRAQ is unfortunately(?) Do Not Fly for us even though permitted above Fl320.

What aircraft are you in? Most people do the Egypt, Saudi, UAE option. Although, you can do Israel, Jordan, Saudi, UAE if you get the permit for it. Shaves a bit of time off.

The Türkiye, Armenia, Azerbaijan route is also available if you have the legs or want to do a tech in that area

Flew over Iran all the time when I flew corporate from Dubai. Their English was good and they were accommodating, just make sure you call before entering the ADIZ.

Back at my old 135 when we went that way it was usually: get across the pond to London Stansted, one stop somewhere in the Mediterranean, and finally one in Dubai via the Egypt and Saudi route. Permits were easier and quicker to obtain that way even though we had OpSpecs to operate in all SFAR airspace.

I’d ask this in the Corpie thread, but it’s dead there. This fall it looks like we’re headed to Kathmandu for a week, wondering if people have a favorite route through all that fun airspace (Ukraine,Russia,Turkey,Iran,Iraq and all the stans). I know we can get through via Uzbekistan, but kinda thinking Tech in LIRA, then spend the night in Dubai before heading up. TBH I was t expecting to do a ME tour and have not been paying a ton of attention recently.

I'm the NBAA IOC Regional Lead for the Middle East and India. Hit me up on e-mail, I'll see what I can do to help your planning. Obviously knowing aircraft type would be helpful. Any company restrictions (as you say some don't want to overfly places that are allowed just in case of a diversion).

My current operation goes from the USA to India numerous times/year. We are west coast based. Depending on winds we can go via Europe or via Japan/Korea. We've done it as an around-the-world trip the last two times with the winter winds. We usually tech-stop with a crew change in LGAV and then exit via PHNL (long leg). Will you be doing a crew swap or overnight tech stop(s)?

I rarely come here anymore. You can find me on PPW or e-mail: (username)@msn.com

It's dangerous out there. Remember to drink lots of water and stay indoors between 10:00AM and November 2nd.

Back