Rode on an E170 For the First Time

I love the E170/5. They are great aircraft, every time I had ridden on them I've been impressed....

I know I won't be popular for saying this, but I'd like to fly of RAH down the road.

Sidenote: I've just booked a flight CMH-ATL-CMH on a Shuttle America 175s both ways.

RD

The 170/5 is even a capable airplane as long as it's not in USAirways "jam as much crap onboard as you can then stretch the range as much as you can" mode.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The E170s are ugly, they look like a giant shrimp. No matter which way you look at it though it's a regional jet. The CRJ700 is actually longer than the 175s. The CRJ9 is what I would be worried about as they carry more people and look very shinny to us regional folk and they're the most popular RJs now.

The 170/5 is even a capable airplane as long as it's not in USAirways "jam as much crap onboard as you can then stretch the range as much as you can" mode.

And the -AR variant pretty much eliminates weight restrictions entirely. MGTOW will be 89,000 pounds.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The E170s are ugly, they look like a giant shrimp. No matter which way you look at it though it's a regional jet. The CRJ700 is actually longer than the 175s. The CRJ9 is what I would be worried about as they carry more people and look very shinny to us regional folk and they're the most popular RJs now.

But you're all crammed in there...the 170 is very roomy.

RD

Funny story (although I don't know how true it is as it was told to me by a VERY disgruntled J4J)...

Airways was the launch customer for the 170 and in typical airways fashion they tried to save money in anyway they could. One of their design requests was to only have a single FMS head. Embraer tried to make this happen but due to the nature of the systems there was just too much data to stream and in the end they had to put the second unit in. Unfortunately because of all the time and money they spent trying to make the system run on one unit they didn't have time to make the aerilons FBW. Hence the rest of the sytem is FBW but the aerilons are not.

I would love to get a payraise but I think its kinda hard with the mounting losses the legacies are taking, and the additional pressure they are putting on regionals to lower their bidding price.

Funny story (although I don't know how true it is as it was told to me by a VERY disgruntled J4J)...

Airways was the launch customer for the 170 and in typical airways fashion they tried to save money in anyway they could. One of their design requests was to only have a single FMS head. Embraer tried to make this happen but due to the nature of the systems there was just too much data to stream and in the end they had to put the second unit in. Unfortunately because of all the time and money they spent trying to make the system run on one unit they didn't have time to make the aerilons FBW. Hence the rest of the sytem is FBW but the aerilons are not.

I'd heard the single MCDU story before, and about fell out of my chair laughing, as that is what runs the ship.

I hadn't heard the anecdote about the ailerons, but I like it. I always wondered why they did that. There's not even a reversion mode for them.

Another thing. The EMB-170 tires were specially manufactured. When CHQ bought the MDA planes, they bought all the parts too. CHQ only used new or R1 tires. USAirways used R2, so we started using the ones that came with the parts lot. The R2 carcasses kept failing causing blow outs.

I would love to get a payraise but I think its kinda hard with the mounting losses the legacies are taking, and the additional pressure they are putting on regionals to lower their bidding price.

It really scares me when I hear regional FOs say this kind of stuff. The FO on the aforementioned Shuttle America flight I was on said something that really made me cringe: "if I could be based at home, I would be pretty happy flying an Airbus as a Captain for $100/hr." It took all of my self control not to slap him in the back of head.

You getting a pay raise as a regional FO will not negatively affect your company. Your pay is such a tiny, tiny portion of their overall costs that they wouldn't even feel it if they doubled your pay. Fight for what you deserve.

P.S. Sorry I missed you the other day at Pascal's. I got a call while you were in line, and by the time I got back you were already gone. Did you enjoy the free lunch? :D

It really scares me when I hear regional FOs say this kind of stuff. The FO on the aforementioned Shuttle America flight I was on said something that really made me cringe: "if I could be based at home, I would be pretty happy flying an Airbus as a Captain for $100/hr." It took all of my self control not to slap him in the back of head.

You getting a pay raise as a regional FO will not negatively affect your company. Your pay is such a tiny, tiny portion of their overall costs that they wouldn't even feel it if they doubled your pay. Fight for what you deserve.

P.S. Sorry I missed you the other day at Pascal's. I got a call while you were in line, and by the time I got back you were already gone. Did you enjoy the free lunch? :D
I agree, and it scares me when the employees try to self-manage the company's profitability with their pay. The employees shouldn't have to worry whether the company will be profitable or not based on the labor costs. That is something for mgmt to worry about, NOT an employee. If a company cannot sustain itself because of its mismanaged costs, let it burn.

It takes two to sign a contract. If the company can't be profitable based on the labor costs in the proposed contract -- they shouldn't sign it.

I've heard that

Back