Rocket attack in Tripoli, Libya destroys brand new A330 at gate.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
On Jul. 20, a brand new, empty Airbus A330-200 (with registration either 5A-ONH or 5A-ONF) was hit by rocket or shelland was quickly consumed by fire during renewed fighting in Tripoli International Airport.

Breaking a two-day ceasefire, militias from Misrata and from Zintan are fighting each other for control of capital’s airport. A similar clash at the airport last week caused six casualties and 25 wounded.
A-330-fire.jpg

http://theaviationist.com/2014/07/20/a330-consumed-by-fire-tripoli/

Rebel conflicts are really taking their toll on commercial aviation. I had read about this happening a few days ago, but these are the first pics I've seen. A local 737 operator also claims as many as 4 of their 737s were heavily damaged or destroyed. The ramp looks pretty packed in that first pic, I wonder how many airlines had plane stuck on the ground they couldn't take out when the fighting started. As of right now, media sources say they aren't sure who is in control of the airport.

They certainly aren't trying to win the hearts and minds of the people. I wish I knew enough to have an educated opinion, but I don't. If you destroy the infrastructure what will be left that's so important?

They certainly aren't trying to win the hearts and minds of the people. I wish I knew enough to have an educated opinion, but I don't. If you destroy the infrastructure what will be left that's so important?
The average libean could care less about an airplane.

Given a few minutes to reflect, I realized that whoever did this may have been targeting the airport so the people in charge would be unable to leave. I apologize for my knee jerk reaction.

Back