Uh Oh. (US Fighter Crashes in Libya)

On the other hand, the Rafale and Mirage 2000-5 performed flawlessly... Great relief to know that the F15 crew is safe and sound. These guys did a hell of a great job.

I bet the mechanical issue was 2 engine flameouts due to anti aircraft fire...

You just saying that for fun, or do you have some evidence to support that?

This photo evidence says to me that it was a catastrophic engine failure....note the metal peeling away from where the engine compressor section is.

usarmytmw.jpg

No kidding?? And here all this time I thought those bombs they loaded up on the F-15E were just for cool looks!

I figured the aircraft were there to enforce some kind of no-fly zone. It would be quite awesome to bring down a helicopter with a 500 lb bomb from above. :)

Do yaw think this thing was actually a casualty of unfriendly fire? and for propaganda reasons its easier to say that it had an unassociated malfunction?

Well I heard that the pilot saw the reflection of his mustache in the HUD and became disoriented.

Am talkin handlebars....:)

I'd be more impressed if that were actually a picture of you.

Truth is, though, that the "combat mustache" is certainly still a strong part of USAF fighter tradition, and has even been adopted by many of the non-fighter forces flying in OEF and OIF currently.

Truth is, though, that the "combat mustache" is certainly still a strong part of USAF fighter tradition, and has even been adopted by many of the non-fighter forces flying in OEF and OIF currently.

Just another reason I can't be a fighter pilot...

But seriously, glad these guys are coming home.

I figured the aircraft were there to enforce some kind of no-fly zone. It would be quite awesome to bring down a helicopter with a 500 lb bomb from above. :)
I think you are kidding-but just in case even if this is just a "no-fly zone" op, there is usually a lot more air to mud ord. than air to air used.

I think you are kidding-but just in case even if this is just a "no-fly zone" op, there is usually a lot more air to mud ord. than air to air used.

I have to cop to honest naiveté. To me, "No-Fly" means (meant :)) specifically that: denying the Lybian government, rebels, or any other sympathetic third-party the use of the airspace, preventing them from bringing in the most destructive machinery, and keeping things moving at the pace of ground vehicles (which also has the retarded diplomatic appearance of somewhat leveling the field). I would be glad to learn that "No-Fly" actually means trying to stop fighting.

(Feel free to reference this post if I ever start playing armchair flugzmarschall around here.)

Shoot, if I could I would. I just stick to the Elvis sideburns.

You shouldn't have mentioned the "USAF tradition" part. Now the shoeclerks are going to come after that one too. :D

A trainer aircraft? If this is accurate, it looks like it was an attempt to see exactly what would happen if they flew an airplane.

I saw some places list it as a trainer/light attack plane. Either way, it looks like it was something as an expendable trial by an older aircraft. The Soko G-2 sure does look like a fun plane to have in the hangar as an alternative to an L-29/39

Back