Robin Hood/Stash/Millenial Investing

Serious question, I found some of these Vanguard Index Funds/ETFs on Robin Hood, is there a good reason to go through an institution?

Serious question, I found some of these Vanguard Index Funds/ETFs on Robin Hood, is there a good reason to go through an institution?
There is worry about the apps failing if there is a huge downturn. The holdings should be protected by the SIPC. Honestly get a Vanguard account. The trades for Vanguard products and many ETFs are free. Plus, the advanced support you get is priceless. We had some off market company shares in an account and they were awesome selling them and figuring out a cost basis. That trade only cost $7.

If you want to dabble in some stocks get Robinhood for the free trades.

Agreed, deal directly with Vanguard rather than going through a 3rd party. Vanguard has been around since the 70s, can you say that about Robin Hood?

Vanguard's website is pretty robust, you can get lost in there for hours - tons of content if you want to learn about new subjects.

Let me flip that around on you ... if you want to invest in Vanguard funds why wouldn't you just open up an account with Vanguard directly, who have been around for 40ish years and manage about $4 trillion? Why go to robin hood, a middleman who has only been around for a few years?

For what it's worth, the Vanguard app has been able to do everything I've wanted to do. Granted, I'm not a day trader.

Let me flip that around on you ... if you want to invest in Vanguard funds why wouldn't you just open up an account with Vanguard directly, who have been around for 40ish years and manage about $4 trillion? Why go to robin hood, a middleman who has only been around for a few years?

For what it's worth, the Vanguard app has been able to do everything I've wanted to do. Granted, I'm not a day trader.
Just opened a Roth with them actually.

I just sold 2 shares of a stock in my traditional account... $15 transaction fee. I’m out!

Robinhood is my new account for stock trading.

If you want to trade Vanguard funds just open a Vanguard account. You don't have to pay commission on trading their own funds and you get a certain amount of discounted trades per year. If you just want to throw some money around and gamble with options then use Robinhood. Robinhood sells your trades to an outside firm (that's how they make their money with no commissions) and because of that the execution on your trades can be terrible so be careful.

I've not heard anything about STASH over the past few years.

Seems as if I'm hearing more about Robinhood, Webull, and Trader 212 are burgeoning online platforms for new retail investors.

Regarding Robin Hood, I heard that name is a misnomer. I looked around for the video where I got this information but I couldn't find the exact video snippet again.

The source is "Institute of Trading and Portfolio Management" and was spoken by Anton Kreil, it's founder. He has a set of videos on their YouTube channel where they expose scams in the "trading marketplace".

What he said was that Robin Hood sells the data of retail traders (the end users of the app) to the big boys so that the big boys can take the other side of the trade.

If it's true, I'm not sure. I don't know how Kreil found the information on that but apparently it's not hidden. You just have to know where to find it (I don't know how). You could also question Kreil's credibility but that's another research project too, finding out who to trust (and why they tell you how to make money in the markets).

Good luck!

So what is the advantage to contributing to a Roth IRA in addition, vs just making your employee 401k contributions as Roth? The latter is what I have been doing for the last few years, to IRS limits. That being said, that type of investment isn't what I think we are really talking about here (?)

Back