Republic or Trans States (Pilot Job)

Junior capt at Eagle right now is a late 2007 hire. Far from a 10 yr upgrade like it used to be. Not to say it won't go back to that...but, back on topic. Go with the Waterski!
upgrade is right around summer 2007 and falling fast

Will there be another Q bid? I've been wondering how close they are to hitting 150 "seat locked" Q captains.

I think you can refuse an offer at RAH 2-3 times and they may offer you something besides the dash... Only 3 bases for the Q so if you want more options there are 3 other offers you could get from them which may get you a better base or schedule. Also the Q is not well staffed but getting close so for the next couple of years there may be little movement in the bases = bad schedule or rsv. That operation is not exactly well known for running smooth.

There are 4 bases for the Q - DEN, MCI, PIT and EWR but still go to TSA unless they offer you a 170 or 145 slot and you are going to be living in base.

Im curious what anyones reason is for saying TSA is the place to go? Maybe Im out of touch, but on the surface, they have done anything but shrink the past 10 years and they only have a small fleet of airplanes no one wants anymore.

I believe TSA outright owns quite a few of their aircraft which gives them an edge in certain markets.

50 seat aircraft might be going the way of gas lights but not anytime soon just look at SKW still flying the 120 in certain niche markets.

For what its worth, TSA is the U.S. launch customer for the MRJ, and currently have 50 on order, supposedly the MRJ will be flying in 2017.

I believe TSA outright owns quite a few of their aircraft which gives them an edge in certain markets.

50 seat aircraft might be going the way of gas lights but not anytime soon just look at SKW still flying the 120 in certain niche markets.
The CRJ200 and Brasilia are two very different airplanes to serve very different markets. Not to mention the burn on the Brasilia is a lot less. That's not the best comparison.

Erm, one of these airplanes makes money a ridiculous amount of money. Here's a hint: it's not the one with 50 seats.

Just want to make sure we are giving the OP good information and not just repeating what people have heard on the internetz.

@Kingairer not trying insult your employer, if this was 2007 I would have said RAH, but times change, you guys need to get a better contract and TSA have a good one, a small pilot group that has always made money, lowering upgrade times and the very real possibility of bigger rjs (everybody will need them effectively whipsaw!)
So if domicile isn't an issue, TSA.

I'm pulling for you guys to get a good contract to try and reverse the trend.

I believe RAH owns almost all of its aircraft, @flyinggreasemnky can correct me on this

which was a weird thing when they said they had no more money for a contract but a couple days later had a multi-billion dollar order for ERJ's....

RAH owns all the leases on their planes (not through a mainline partner like most regionals) however there was an agreement on the American 140's that American could assume the leases if RAH failed to maintain performance numbers. They didn't put that in the contract in regard to the 175's though. RAH also has a clause with the Q leases from Bombardier/Canadian Export Bank that ties the length of the leases to the length of the contract. The own outright a lot of the 170's.

TSA is the place to go as they have a better contract, have grown recently and have commutable bases.

@Kingairer not trying insult your employer, if this was 2007 I would have said RAH, but times change, you guys need to get a better contract and TSA have a good one, a small pilot group that has always made money, lowering upgrade times and the very real possibility of bigger rjs (everybody will need them effectively whipsaw!)
So if domicile isn't an issue, TSA.

I'm pulling for you guys to get a good contract to try and reverse the trend.

More like 03-05. Knowing what happened in 08, I would've steered people to Compass and AirTran in 07.

I believe RAH owns almost all of its aircraft, @flyinggreasemnky can correct me on this

which was a weird thing when they said they had no more money for a contract but a couple days later had a multi-billion dollar order for ERJ's....

Well I mean "outright" own them. People say don't touch my CADDYYY!! but its the bank's Cadillac. I'm pretty sure some of the old blue tails (now actually Delta) say Republic Air Holdings LLC on the registration, not Wells Fargo, I'll have to check...

Wow, upgrade is going to drop like a rock then. My guess is there is less than 100 2008 hires and no 2009 hires......?

Yeah, about 100 08' hires, then no one until Spring of '10. I take it back though, no Q bids came out in this vacancy its getting a bit full on the CA's side, we shall see...

Back