Republic Airways Open House (My Experience)

scramjet

I recently attended a Republic Airways flight attendant open house and thought that I might share my experience for those who may be attending a similar function. Overall, the experience was perhaps one of the milder flight attendant interviews that I've heard of, although keep in mind that this was my first firsthand experience in the process. There was none of the unusual methods of weeding out applicants that some other airlines use, such as Hawaiian Airlines' infamous requirement of acting out a skit in front of the group. Of course, such methods could be industry tall tales fed to naive noobs such as myself, but I digress.

Registration commenced on time. All applicants were required to submit the invitation they received or be turned away. Two recruiters from Republic human resources headed the session, which began promptly at the appointed time. Doors were shut immediately at said time and no further applicants were admitted (pretty much standard HR/Open House practice). The session began with each applicant introducing him or herself and then answering a random question from the HR people. We were informed that this was to test our ability to think on our feet in front of people. Some questions included, "If you could have dinner with one person, living or dead, who would it be?" and "If you could have a super power/be a superhero, what what it be/who would it be?" Basically some of the more "unique" HR questions that can be uncovered on the internet with a little research.

Next, the presenters went through an extensive slideshow and speaking presentation regarding being a flight attendant as well as regarding Republic Airways itself. Most of the information was stuff that anyone with a passing familiarity with the airline industry would know or could uncover with a little bit of online research. However, other information was not so obvious and offered some insight into the company and flight attendant operations. This included the typical reserve schedule for a Republic flight attendant as well as which of the three Republic Airways Holding Group "fixed fee" airlines (Chautauqua, Republic, and Shuttle America) required the most flight attendants and what their bases were. It was repeatedly noted that Republic was primarily recruiting for a late August Shuttle America class. The other two airlines were recruiting into pools only. Each candidate had to select an airline prior to continuing on to the interview portion of the event. The presenters noted that the pool lists for the other two airlines were indefinite and that classes could began as soon as a month or as long as two years.

After the information session, we were given several forms to fill out including, most notably, a short essay on what we would do if we had to relocate. We were given approximately an hour to complete these forms during which we were called for one on one interviews in a private room. First priority was given to those candidates who had to fly out that afternoon. Candidates from the local area or who drove were told that they might have to spend most of the day at the event. During this time, I was able to converse with some of my fellow candidates and I noted some general traits about them. Most of the younger candidates had at least some college experience. Most of the older candidates had extensive experience in either the airline industry or other areas of customer service. As far as I could tell, I was the only pilot of any certificate level present, a fact that depending on the airline could help or hurt my chanced at the job. Many of the candidates seemed to lean towards wanting to go into a pool for either Republic or Chautauqua (Republic being the clear favorite) as opposed to starting the Shuttle America class in late August. I, myself, elected to try for the Republic pool as I did not feel that I could not even come close to wrapping up my instrument rating in time for a late August class.

The interview itself was basically right out of the HR textbooks with a slight flight attendant bent. I was asked to read a pre-departure announcement to the interviewer, which was easy. Personally I feel that the recruiters should require the pre-departure announcement to be read in front of the entire group; that would really weed out those who were uncomfortable communicating with large groups of people. After that it was pretty much standard HR fare such as describing your work history and why you think you would be a good fit for the job. This lasted about fifteen minutes. Upon its conclusion, I was told that I would be notified either way in about three to six weeks.

All and all I was fairly impressed by the company and the event. I especially appreciated the honesty of the HR staff in portraying the life of a flight attendant. They did not gloss over the negative, in fact they strongly emphasized it. The pay also seemed decent, especially if you could pick up a lot of reserve time. The Teamsters negotiated contract (which covered all three airlines) seemed very decent as well. I think the only negative was that the HR staff seemed tired and slightly irritable; they even noted all the traveling that they were forced to do as part of the recruiting process. This seemingly does not reflect well upon the company's recruiting practices nor does it present the best image of the company to highly experienced candidates that can more or less have their choice of companies (not necessarily within the airline industry). But other than that, I was very impressed with the event and with the company. I think I would have a great time with the organization if I were to be hired.

Anyhow, hope that helps some prospective flight attendant candidate out there! I know the information that I've learned on these forums over the years has been a valuable resource to me in my evolving aviation career. :)

To anyone looking at this, I was a pilot for this company for almost 4 years. They treated flight attendants HORRIBLY. They were in constant fear of getting fired for things like minor uniform code infractions and mis-speaking on a PA announcement. Take a good look at pay and schedules compared to other airlines as well. And don't go here hoping for a certain base, it may never happen. Not to sound totally negative, but just my 2 cents.

While I agree, think twice before working here, I've never heard of anyone getting fired for a PA or uniform violation.

In five years at one of our largest bases, I've seen two girls let go, both for numerous absences.

Generally speaking, and this was my own personal observation (NOT related to Republic Holdings in any way as I never worked there) is that people who are let go for something as minor as a PA or a uniform infraction.. there's usually a LOT more to the story. Other behavior/discipline/attitude issues, attendance issues, etc are typically present, the person fired just doesn't admit it and says "Oh I was totally fired just for my uniform!" Well... we're only seeing 1 side of the story there, and I'm willing to bet if we saw the whole picture it would often make more sense. Not saying people don't ever get fired over stupid stuff, as yes that does sometimes happen, but often there's a lot more to the story.

I do agree with this, but you'll notice that new hire flight attendants come out of training scared to death that they might screw up something small and lose their jobs. They absolutely instill fear. Who wants to work somewhere like that?

They have to motivate by fear, bc they sure arent motivating by money.However, I think its probably like every other regional out there.

People DO get fired for stupid stuff....By check air personel with power issues. There was no more to MY story, never late, gave 100% to the job. THAT may have bothered people.

Colleenb24, I didn't get the job. I kind of had a gut feeling coming out of there that I wasn't going to get it, the interviewer seemed very skeptical of my qualifications and abilities. I haven't attended any other interviews of late, but I'd like to start hitting up more open houses when I finish my instrument rating. It's going to be awhile before I get my commercial/cfi/etc as I'm going to "pay as a I go/fly when I can" with that so I don't go into debt over it. Hence I'm very interested in starting a career elsewhere in the airline industry, at least for the mid-term future.

It sounds like it's a good thing I didn't get the job based on what some posters are saying. I currently work for a subsidiary of a major airline that is very much like what Republic sounds like with their leadership: control, fear, and even employee class structuring. I feel like I'm living out a cartoon version of Karl Marx's interpretation of capitalism every day I go to work there. It's made me very, very cynical about the modern corporation. Doesn't the union at Republic stand up for their flight attendants?

FA union is weak. Getting somewhat stronger but still weak. FAs have a high rate of turnover, and they fight for a "career" is non exsistant. Put together its a lot of people who only see them doing the job, rightfully so, for a few years and getting out. Things are going to get rocky for the pilot group coming up soon, so you really are better off not here. If you are looking for a pilot career, I dont think FAing is the best way to go anyways. I cant imagine going through the same BS i have to go thru now at a fraction of the pay and not haviing a door inbetween me and the natives.

It's hard dealing with flight training and flying a full-time schedule as a F/A (especially at a regional). Trust me, I tried it! :) That being said, it may be hard but it's not impossible, AND the biggest plus is that you can use that opportunity to really make some great networking connections. I knew several people who went from F/A to F/O, thanks to recommendations and connections they'd made as a F/A.

It's hard dealing with flight training and flying a full-time schedule as a F/A (especially at a regional). Trust me, I tried it! :) That being said, it may be hard but it's not impossible, AND the biggest plus is that you can use that opportunity to really make some great networking connections. I knew several people who went from F/A to F/O, thanks to recommendations and connections they'd made as a F/A.
Yea, that was one big reason that I didn't interview for the August 2011 class in this particular instance; I knew that it would become impossible to finish my instrument rating for at least a few months. I am starting to realize, though, that I might prefer working in other areas within the airline industry than piloting, hence wanting to try being a flight attendant. Like you said, if I did decide to pursue airline pilot jobs in the future, I might make some really good networking connections. I know anything in the industry is probably better than were I work now with a wholly owned ground services contractor.

"If you could have dinner with one person, living or dead, who would it be?"

My answer: "With you!" (I would love to ask you why you asked such a dumb question)

"If you could have a super power/be a superhero, what what it be/who would it be?"

"Max Conrad"

That would get their heads spinning! LOL!

Of course, I would not get the job, but I'm not dealing with the best and brightest either. Just entry level HR folks looking for canned answers. Just learn them and give them what they want to hear.

At times, HR can be the worst part of any company.

Back