Republic Airways Flight Training Academy

I did the initial online interview then went to Indy for the in person interview and testing. Its basically ATP with a guaranteed flow to Republic at ATP mins. They train you up to CFI then you instruct until 1500hrs.

You pay for everything, there are loans available through the school but at this time there is no plans in place for Republic to subsidize or repay (although they mentioned scholarships for high ability students). Expected cost for zero to hero is $65k.

The first 3 classes are full (Sept, Oct, Nov) and they have put scheduling more classes on hold due to Diamond not being able to meet delivery deadlines for the aircraft. They are still interviewing, just dont expect a class date until they get it figured out.

A flow to a regional.... Not to be a di*k but that isn’t really an advantage whatsoever. Every regional is hiring and the standards have never been so low, so just watch out for the gimmicks of these places. They just want to lock you in to their pipeline. Now if they footed part or all the bill it would be a justifiable move, but as is I say you’re better off just getting the ratings on your own. You will also notice all flight schools are looking for CFI’s now too, and some pay a hell of a lot better than ATP.

A flow to a regional.... Not to be a di*k but that isn’t really an advantage whatsoever. Every regional is hiring and the standards have never been so low, so just watch out for the gimmicks of these places. They just want to lock you in to their pipeline. Now if they footed part or all the bill it would be a justifiable move, but as is I say you’re better off just getting the ratings on your own. You will also notice all flight schools are looking for CFI’s now too, and some pay a hell of a lot better than ATP.

I got an offer but have not accepted due to the reasons you mentioned. There really is no incentive. I already have my Instrument and I am now in the timebuilding stage for commercial, the program they offer wouldnt benefit me too much.

Also....flow to republic.....their words, not mine, lol

All: thanks for the input.
I got an offer but have not accepted due to the reasons you mentioned. There really is no incentive. I already have my Instrument and I am now in the timebuilding stage for commercial, the program they offer wouldnt benefit me too much.

Also....flow to republic.....their words, not mine, lol
I am in a similar situation as this. Except opportunities around here in Northern MN have been a bit tough. Also a move to Indy might not happen, given I have a fairly cush job around here.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I got the acceptance email yesterday which I’m assuming means I am in the first three months (I hope). They are sending out acceptance packets this week which I’ll be having a lawyer friend take a look at before I make any sort of commitment.

I talked with one of the dudes setting up the school.
Seemed like a straight forward option to get into the airline industry.

Get financing in order (They don't sponsor you). $65,000 from 0-CFI (maybe II +MEI, wasn't taking all the details to heart.). Instruct at the school until you hit ATP mins, flow up to Republic. You owe them 5 years once flying 121.

Ideally 12-14 months to get all your ratings.

I get the feeling its like the Euro/Asian type schemes, where the people going through training will know nothing but the 121 "style" and suck as a developed pilot*.

*Do what you want kids. Thats why some pilots suck and some pilots are amazing.

I talked with one of the dudes setting up the school.
Seemed like a straight forward option to get into the airline industry.

Get financing in order (They don't sponsor you). $65,000 from 0-CFI (maybe II +MEI, wasn't taking all the details to heart.). Instruct at the school until you hit ATP mins, flow up to Republic. You owe them 5 years once flying 121.

Ideally 12-14 months to get all your ratings.

I get the feeling its like the Euro/Asian type schemes, where the people going through training will know nothing but the 121 "style" and suck as a developed pilot*.

*Do what you want kids. Thats why some pilots suck and some pilots are amazing.

wait so they don't help with financing, and then you still owe them 5 years? Lol wow. Great staffing scheme.

After a few weeks,I got an email.

No Skype interview or offer. They want me to an in-person interview in Indy.

Their email says: You should plan to be at our Admissions Center for no more than 3 hours, including 90 minutes for the COMPASS assessment and 45 minutes for the in-person interview.

Yeah. That's not happening.

How does that work???

Peel away all the contract lingo and it’s a 5 year $20,000 training contract. I was given a contract (which I turned down) so I know this for a fact. You pay your 65k for training. CFI there for 1500 then give Republic 5 years. If youleave prior to that you owe them the full $20k (which is apparently how much they are subsidizing your training)

Peel away all the contract lingo and it’s a 5 year $20,000 training contract. I was given a contract (which I turned down) so I know this for a fact. You pay your 65k for training. CFI there for 1500 then give Republic 5 years. If youleave prior to that you owe them the full $20k (which is apparently how much they are subsidizing your training)
You said you were close to commerical requirements.. what would it have cost you to finish up with them and CFI there?

Also do you know what the CFI pay is?

I think that things being what they are in the industry currently, this isn't really a attractive offer.

If you are going to borrow money for flight training you might as well have the flexibility to go wherever is most feasible for you personally.
If you are going to instruct you might as well instruct wherever pay and flight time is greatest. Lots of places paying for your CFII and MEI now.
Flow to a regional is a joke, every regional is hiring with min time, thats zero advantage.
Five year commitment makes no sense, lots of guys jumping to wherever the bonus is highest, and have freedom to jump to LCC or ULLC.

You said you were close to commerical requirements.. what would it have cost you to finish up with them and CFI there?

Also do you know what the CFI pay is?

Verbally they told me $7-8k but they did not have anything on paper as they were really being set up for the full zero to hero, not someone coming in further along the path to their certificates, so I would not put much faith on that figure.

They could not (or would not) tell me what the CFI salary was going to be. Its also not listed in any of the documentation I received.

I know the person in charge of this program. That person is a former dean of the aviation department of a community college and also a former Republic Captain. They are using new cirrus aircraft, so there is a commitment from the company. It should be a quality program as far as the flight part training goes, considering the management and equipment. I won't speculate on the finances, I don't know anything about that.

I know the person in charge of this program. That person is a former dean of the aviation department of a community college and also a former Republic Captain. They are using new cirrus aircraft, so there is a commitment from the company. It should be a quality program as far as the flight part training goes, considering the management and equipment. I won't speculate on the finances, I don't know anything about that.

I’m not saying the program quality would be bad, in fact I’m sure it will be better than 90% of all other training options as it will be tailoring all pilots to be successful in the airline world. I just think having to sign a contract to fly for an airline for x amount of years before you even get a private pilots license is insane if they aren’t footing a single cent of the program...

Back