Renew aopa or not to renew?

Wow, reading some of what is being said in this thread makes me want to donate more than my $39 a year to the AOPA...

Now were on the subject of congested airspace which has NOTHING to do with user fees! It is primarily the result of irresponsible scheduling by the airlines (a result of deregulation). This "rush hour" is the primary cause of the congestion problem. Another issue is we need more airports. The congestion is not enroute, but in the terminal area. If we had more runways/airports, it would allow for increased traffic flow. No matter how much money is available, it is still next do impossible to open new airports today... again, user fees are not the answer.

Heres a great excerpt from AOPA.org:
What's frequently overlooked is how much it costs to run a user fee system. During the last debate on aviation taxes and fees in the late 1990's, the Internal Revenue Service reported that it only cost $1.7 million to collect over $5.5 billion in excise tax revenue. A mere .001% cost by the government to collect! That's because aviation fuel taxes are collected at the refinery, and ticket taxes are simply forwarded to the government.

A user fee system would require a costly new bureaucracy to assess the charges, send out the bills, and enforce collection. Those costs would be passed on to everyone who uses the air transportation system, even indirectly.

"I think its time to remind everyone that doesnt read the ATP section that you did your MEI (and ATP?) at ATP flight school..."

I did my ATP and MEI (sort of), at ATP. How it worked was, I did my ATP checkride in LGB and was told if I paid for the ATP MEI course prior to the ride, the "on staff" examiner would sign me off for the MEI as well. That's exactly how it worked. I was young and stupid, so I went along.

In the end, this doesn't speak well for my experience at ATP. And it's no secret that I'm not a fan of the ATP 90 day program. So....I'd rather not see ATP marketing ads in the aviation publications I support. AOPA allows such ads (don't like it, have no voice in it, choose not to support AOPA). Jetcareers allows such ads (don't like it, DO have a voice in it, choose to support Jetcareers). EAA, no ATP ads, supports GA, autofuel STC's. I'm a member and enjoy flying Young Eagles.

Anything else you don't understand?

And, if you'd like to accuse me of not supporting GA, I own two GA airplanes, both with autofuel STC's. I own a 2400 sq ft hangar in Deer Park, WA and pay $1800/year in lease payments. And I've been an active CFI since the 80's. What have you done for GA?

Wow, reading some of what is being said in this thread makes me want to donate more than my $39 a year to the AOPA...

Now were on the subject of congested airspace which has NOTHING to do with user fees! It is primarily the result of irresponsible scheduling by the airlines (a result of deregulation). This "rush hour" is the primary cause of the congestion problem. Another issue is we need more airports. The congestion is not enroute, but in the terminal area. If we had more runways/airports, it would allow for increased traffic flow. No matter how much money is available, it is still next do impossible to open new airports today... again, user fees are not the answer.

Heres a great excerpt from AOPA.org:

In my opinion, there should be larger aircraft and less flights to reduce airport congestion. There is no need for an RJ to be flown every hour from hub to hub when you put one mainline 737 in that same route running every 2.5 hours if needed.

Sound fun?

Of course not.

But that's significantly different than there is no GA in Europe. Clearly GA exists in Europe. Just pointing out that way out in left field exaggerations really don't work when trying to debate the merits of something.

Also, care to provide a source to your $700 USD figure for renting a Seminole in Europe? Considering the ridiculously sad state of the USD compared to the Euro, it is somewhat believable.

It should be believable because it true. We have about 150 foreign students which about 50 of them being Europeans. They all say its about $700 to rent a multi with instructor. Also they dont fly night or IFR for training.

Obviously there is GA in other countries, but it in no way compares to the US. That might be why they all come her to train. ;)

Wait, I thought you said that excuse wasn't good enough when I said it? Double standard?

Didn't sound to me like he said it was good excuse for him either. Calling oneself "young and stupid" hardly sounds like an attempt at validation.

Didn't sound to me like he said it was good excuse for him either. Calling oneself "young and stupid" hardly sounds like an attempt at validation.

I agree, but I find it hypocritical for him to attack me for saying the same thing that he just said. Neither of us are attempting to validate our poor decision (I don't think so, anyway), but it's a simple statement of fact. People do stupid things when they don't know any better. I just find it strange that he attacks me for doing something because I was "young and stupid" when he claims to have done the same thing.

Yes, I'm going to "go there" again.

...how about not letting people buy their jobs. Make someone earn it rather than take the short cut. It would be much more difficult for some to be able to get in if it wasn't just as easy as spending mommy or daddy's money on a t-prop job.

Now, to the OP:

I didn't renew (years ago). They called a month later asking me to renew and I asked what they were doing about user fees. My father in law has gotten me in to speak personally with our congressmen, which personally I thought was better than writing. Anyway, so I asked what AOPA was doing and the conversation went something like this:

"...well we're spreading the word for our members to write to their congressmen.

Right, but what is AOPA doing?

We want you to write your congressmen.

Okay, but what is AOPA doing?

AOPA is trying to get our members to write their congressmen.

... thanks but no thanks *click*"

I didn't need my $35 to go into the gas tank on Boyer's CJ.

-mini

I'll respond to you the same way I did last time, just so it's on record here too.

Phil Boyer is not AOPA, AOPA is its membership.

One guy goes to Washington and says "My organization does not support user fees." So effing what?

400,000 people go to Washington and say "We, the membership of this organization, do not want user fees, and we'll clutter your doorstep until we are heard."

What is it that you want AOPA to do? Do you want Phil Boyer to write those 400,000 letters himself? He's a little busy.

So they ask you to do one thing, write a letter, and you balk... what have you done for me? You could have said "Hey man, I talked to my representative in person." They'd be glad to hear that, one more victory.

Meigs Field is still closed.

And it would have closed 20 years ago without AOPA, along with my airport, and many others, probably yours included.

Proud AOPA member since before I could fly.

I agree, but I find it hypocritical for him to attack me for saying the same thing that he just said. Neither of us are attempting to validate our poor decision (I don't think so, anyway), but it's a simple statement of fact. People do stupid things when they don't know any better. I just find it strange that he attacks me for doing something because I was "young and stupid" when he claims to have done the same thing.

Gotcha.

:pirate:

Anything else you don't understand?

Look, I dont know, so thats fine. Im glad you reap the benefits of what AOPA members like myself help support. Thats fine if you dont like ATP, but I would rather have ATP putting ads in a magazine than have to pay to fly to certain airports, file a flight plan, get wx briefings, etc etc. It seems like a pretty fair trade off.

As for not having the ability of voicing your opinion, that isnt entirely true. You can always write to the editors. Anyway... I think i saw an ATP in "Sport Aviation" I will have to go dig it up.

"Wait, I thought you said that excuse wasn't good enough when I said it? Double standard?"

Well, I wasn't young and stupid enough to buy a job at Gulfstream. I was low time enough to listen to the suggestion from the head of the Long Beach All ATP's as well as the FAA Designated Examiner they used, that an ATP checkride is the same as a MEI checkride, and is good enough for both ratings. I guess it was good enough for the FAA guy so I saw little reason to question it.

In any case, buying a job never entered my mind during my early days. Guess I had that going for me....

Other side tracks aside, I chose a long time ago not to renew my AOPA membership for two reasons.

#1 Within a month of joining, I started receiving mailings and phone calls encouraging me to renew my membership. I estimated that at least 1/3 of my dues was spent trying to retain me...seems a bit wasteful.

#2 Joining one of the side tracks - In certain areas, GA and (to a much greater extent) corporate/charter ops are piggybacking on a controlled system paid for by airline passengers. Non-airline, commercial jets in particular pay taxes on fuel at a much lower rate (like the airlines) without having to pay the same per passenger fee. AOPA seems intent on protecting a system that does not fairly distribute the cost.

Ok, back to side tracks!

Back