Rejected at PEPC Stories?

I am still confused as to how a doctors note would help at this point. If I get a new doctor and have him write a note, how does that supercede a previous doctors notes. Besides that, what new doctor is going to write me a note saying I don't have something that he can't prove?

I shouldn't have to. I did not have insurance. Why would I want to go and pay for a doctor to give me a letter to correct the mistake that they made. Besides, how would having a doctor claim that I did not have sleep apnea disprove a prior doctor saying that I said I did. The point is they had my social security number and got me mixed up with someone else who had the same name. My social security number should have precluded this from happening.

It was much easier to just go to another insurer, which I did, who had no problems with my medical history whatsoever.

But for the purposes of the medical, you will need something from a doctor explaining the situation. If you do not, and upon further investigation (part of the application is a release for medical records) something comes up, they'll suspend your medical until you can clear it up. This is one situation where it pays to come in prepared rather than trying to clean up the mess afterward.
I have to disagree with Barty here. You have never been diagnosed with sleep apnea, you do not need to say you were. Some insurance company messing up its own investigation has nothing to do with you or your FAA medical. It's not in any of YOUR medical records.

Since I still knew which doctor they said that had told them this, I took the 'be prepared" advice and contacted him this morning. He is going to supply me with a letter stating that I was never his patient. I am still not going to bring it up for no reason, but if a question ever arises I will have proof that it was not accurate info.

My medical was denied at the NYC PEPC for being on a medication that was on the banned list. My advice would be if you take a specific medication, do your research! That was definitely my downfall. It still upsets me even today when I think about it.

Turns out I didn't do well on the MMPI at my PEPC. I did the re-evaluation back in August and haven't heard if I passed the second time around or not... Not knowing if I'm eligible combined with waiting for weeks just plain sucks.

Good and some funny reading.

That thing IS a sink-hole! I saw one where a guy had (eight?) misdemeanors and a felony, at least two of which were drug/alcohol related... folks with $60k in delinquent debt ten years out... etc.. makes a guy feel a LITTLE better.

What's the deal with this MMPI? I thought that would be the easy part!

Yeah, I was told the MMPI was a joke and that everyone passes... Turns out there's a decent number of people that don't pass it. I wish I knew more about this test but apparently the FAA values it more then I thought. To be completely honest I'm a bit dumbfounded because I did well on the AT-SAT, got A's in all my air traffic classes, and am a CFI... Who knows, I really want to be a controller but maybe I need to consider other avenues. :(

The MMPI is an interesting little ditty. From what I can remember when reading about it back in the days of yonder (with examples)... it measures for consistency (Are you a sound sleeper? and Do you easily wake from sleep when random noises occur?), some kind of personality trait/disorder (questions about depression are on there... a high score means you're very depressed, but a very low score could mean outright denial and might not necessarily be advantageous), and then some questions that are way out there (Do you see large animals nobody else does?).

The MMPI is an interesting little ditty. From what I can remember when reading about it back in the days of yonder (with examples)... it measures for consistency (Are you a sound sleeper? and Do you easily wake from sleep when random noises occur?), some kind of personality trait/disorder (questions about depression are on there... a high score means you're very depressed, but a very low score could mean outright denial and might not necessarily be advantageous), and then some questions that are way out there (Do you see large animals nobody else does?).

Either way, I just wish there weren't so many hoops one has to jump through just to get a job...

A 50+ year old, outdated test which asks many irrelevant questions is not an appropriate "hoop" in my opinion. I feel like the way the test is designed that many normal people when answering the test in a completely honest fashion would be wrongly labeled as having some sort of pshychological problems.

i.e. Some people enjoy chinese food on a very regular basis. Chinese food is known in some people to induce diarrhea:) If those people were to indulge in this activity on a weekly basis, to be completely truthful they would have to say that they suffer from diarrhea more than monthly.

Is this relevant? What if they only ate it bi-monthly...then somehow they are better suited for the job?

Disclaimer: Chinese food is not a pre-cursor to diarrhetic symptoms for me. However, Pizza Hut pizza can make the muddy river flow if you catch my drift.

You can easily kill a lot of people in this job. I'm really glad they have this many "hoops".

Actual example of why the MMPI is important, i have a friend who was an ATC in the military and he was training a guy, and the trainee couldn't take it anymore but he didn't just explode, he cleared about five planes to the same flight level and they were all pointed at one fix, he leaned back and said "ha, it's a race." I'm glad that test will weed out people like that.

Actual example of why the MMPI is important, i have a friend who was an ATC in the military and he was training a guy, and the trainee couldn't take it anymore but he didn't just explode, he cleared about five planes to the same flight level and they were all pointed at one fix, he leaned back and said "ha, it's a race." I'm glad that test will weed out people like that.

You're right. You can kill people in this job. I guess I just don't think a 300-500 something question psychology test is or will ever will be as good as an old fashioned interview (the actually air traffic interview is a joke)... Maybe I'm wrong but what does the MMPI have to do with performance of a controller? Most controllers are a little crazy anyways, right? But hey, I admitted it. I didn't do well on the test for some reason (I hope they tell me why soon) and if I can't be a controller because of it then maybe it's not for me. That's life, and I might as well get use to it.

A 50+ year old, outdated test which asks many irrelevant questions is not an appropriate "hoop" in my opinion. I feel like the way the test is designed that many normal people when answering the test in a completely honest fashion would be wrongly labeled as having some sort of pshychological problems.

i.e. Some people enjoy chinese food on a very regular basis. Chinese food is known in some people to induce diarrhea:) If those people were to indulge in this activity on a weekly basis, to be completely truthful they would have to say that they suffer from diarrhea more than monthly.

Is this relevant? What if they only ate it bi-monthly...then somehow they are better suited for the job?

Disclaimer: Chinese food is not a pre-cursor to diarrhetic symptoms for me. However, Pizza Hut pizza can make the muddy river flow if you catch my drift.

I'm glad someone is on my side. Thanks

I would think more of the test and questions if it were administered by an actual person so that one could explain themselves. On paper things can seem much different than in reality.

Back