Regional airlines pros and cons

Well they WERE Dashes :p. The newer turboprops are leaps and bounds better than the older generation of 30 seat turboprops. Alaska doesn’t appear to have a problem filling their Qs. Granted that is a different market and I’m sure the 175 will take over more Q flying where it makes sense. I’m just a weirdo who loves turboprops though, so I might be biased.

Long before I was a pilot, I *liked* being a passenger on the Q400. It was comfortable, relatively quiet and roomy. I thought it was great.

Long Live The Megawhacker!

Yeah, Alaska is a different market, I guess it’s more accepted that you’ll be on a turboprop out west or in AK?

I think that could be true in AK (I don't know), but Horizon flies Q's all around the Pac NW.....lots of SEA/PDX runs to smaller places. I assume it is a factor in allowing them to serve some pretty small regional airports in OR/WA/ID.

The regionals will pay more, that will increase the price of tickets 5bucks, and people will choose to drive instead. Not everyone, but enough that we won't need more pilots. When does it become cost efficient to bring the flying in house? My hope is i get paid so much more next contract that the answer is NEVER.
Clearly you don't work for united

One thing about turboprops: Passengers HATE them, even those lucky enough to have air service because of them. The general traveling public sees props and they still think “converted WWII bomber” or “puddle jumper” even if it was built yesterday and does 500 mph.

UAL had C5 get rid of our Dashes a year before the leases were up just to end turboprops in the system in 2018. And now the grousing about ending single cabin 50 seat RJ has the same feel to it.
They’re not found of small RJs either, but if the price is right, they’ll put up with a lot.

Rumor has it that Envoy is mainline
Also our retention bonus payout in accordance with the LOA didn't happen as supposed to, so memes are abound
FB_IMG_1636678750169.jpg

You’d enjoy it, you’re more able to not take it seriously and just laugh at how ridiculous it is than some around here
It's weird, I probably need to talk to a pro about it someday about it but here's my problem. Absurd comedy sooths my soul, but absurdity absolutely drives me insane. I though a lot drives me insane... maybe it's me?

Back