Red Bull Stratos Jump

Any footage from the cameras he had on him yet?

It has music, but it's the same video that Red Bull blocked on another account. That spin/tumble looks absolutely terrifying, also it appears that he spent most of that "out of control" phase on his back. What an incredible ride that must have been. I don't think I could have ever stood on that ledge and calmly say "I'm going home now" and leap off into the unknown below.

It has music, but it's the same video that Red Bull blocked on another account. That spin/tumble looks absolutely terrifying, also it appears that he spent most of that "out of control" phase on his back. What an incredible ride that must have been. I don't think I could have ever stood on that ledge and calmly say "I'm going home now" and leap off into the unknown below.

Thanks! That was an amazing angle, can't wait to see some of the rest!

Baumgartner was said to reach Mach 1.24, unofficially so far. Can you imagine free falling the same speed as an F22 is doing S&L?!

I don't have a lot of experience freefall skydiving, but the times I have done it there is very little sensation of speed while in freefall.

I don't have a lot of experience freefall skydiving, but the times I have done it there is very little sensation of speed while in freefall.
It's true. But, I was more so comparing for the masses, one object vs. another of equivalent speed as a whole, but I agree with your statement.

So amazing. My girlfriend and I watched the entire thing live. Him popping that door open and sliding the seat back so he could get out was just crazy to watch.

bwJad.gif

I've read that Yeager's ego soars well above 128,100'
I expect reading someone else's name in the news makes him a little pissy-pants.

Yeah, reading that dudes book, while interesting, made me feel as though he is incredibly full of himself. He was part of a huge leap forward for aviation, was a great pilot and had many interesting experiences in his life but none of it makes him better than anyone else. Dude needs to get over himself.

On this jump, simply amazing.

I think something cool was accomplished here, but it wasn't jumping from the balloon. The cool part to me is that they filmed it in HD and infrared from 15 different angles, streamed it online, and made it a fun event for everyone. Watching the guy open the door, slide out onto the ledge, and jump was one of the coolest videos I've seen. Kittenger may have made the real balloon jump accomplishment under much more dangerous conditions but nobody even knew about it except for some aviation nerds until the Stratos project came up in the news. Have you ever seen a video of it? As far as I know there are only a couple photos of the actual jump floating around. Regardless Yeagar should know better than to $#!@ all over someone's accomplishment even if he isn't that impressed personally.

Question.....
Did he really break the speed of sound? I mean is the "speed of sound" a relative term? I would think that at such high altitudes the speed of sound would be much higher than at low altitudes because of the density of the air.

Does anyone know if the speed of sound is affected by altitude?

The speed of sound is affected by the ambient air temperature only (at least until you get way higher up into ionized gas). For a ways above the tropopause (~FL335) the speed of sound is constant-ish because the temperature stays constant-ish (~570 knots). Around 60,000 feet the temperature starts to increase in two linear segments (in 1976 atmospheric model). At 120,000 feet the speed of sound would be about 605 knots at -32°C.

I think it's fair to call is honestly breaking the speed of sound. I don't know how fast he got, but if he broke the speed of sound there, he'd be making shockwaves and sonic booms and all that.

The speed of sound is affected by the ambient air temperature only (at least until you get way higher up into ionized gas). For a ways above the tropopause (~FL335) the speed of sound is constant-ish because the temperature stays constant-ish (~570 knots). Around 60,000 feet the temperature starts to increase in two linear segments (in 1976 atmospheric model). At 120,000 feet the speed of sound would be about 605 knots at -32°C.

I think it's fair to call is honestly breaking the speed of sound. I don't know how fast he got, but if he broke the speed of sound there, he'd be making shockwaves and sonic booms and all that.

Unofficial-official numbers were 833.9 mph and Mach 1.24.

Yeah, reading that dudes book, while interesting, made me feel as though he is incredibly full of himself. He was part of a huge leap forward for aviation, was a great pilot and had many interesting experiences in his life but none of it makes him better than anyone else. Dude needs to get over himself.

On this jump, simply amazing.

One of the few non arrogant stories I've heard of Yeager was from another forum:

My best story to maybe prove the point. 1978, just got the Pitts, my wife and I drove to Oskosh.... I went into big hangar restroom to take a leak, was wearing jacket with big Pitts patch on back. As I washed my hands a guy asked if I had a Pitts and when I said yes his eyes sort of lit up and he asked if it was here. I said , no.....He srugged and comented, "Pitts is one of the finest single engine aircraft I've ever flown" I asked, "Do I know you?" He stuck out his hand,

"Chuck Yeager, nice to meet you" We walked out of the john he with his arm around my sholders and we parted.

Back