Reality check time

Grumpy

I would like to see a reality check here. If anyone wishes to reply, please do so with as much truth as you can muster.

The question is, just how long [on average] will it take for someone starting out in this profession to reach a point where he/she can say I'm here?

This can be broken down into categories, so lets attempt to do that. And, be aware that Im not looking for the part time happy to be there job. Im looking for the full time pay the bills job.

I know the times will be quite different for someone willing to live ten to a room in a flop house and someone with a wife and children to support. That being said;

From start too happy;

Instructor - if it is possible to survive

Corporate ;

Cargo ; [big time]

Cargo [small time- i.e. Check hauler type]

Small carrier

BIG carrier

Assorted other jobs Pipeline Power line type.

ll start: Off and on 10 years + 900 hrs after retiring from the mil. Pipeline and could survive on it. [Mil. Retirement just allows a higher class of survivability]

Geez were you swearing alot or something? LOL. Maybe you could edit out those unfortunate &#8217??

If you could edit out all the BLAHS then I think people will reply - it really is tough to understand what you are saying.

Well in my case its taken about &#8855
But with you probably looking at &#8856-&#8857

Dude check and make sure you are using the proper code or something.

It looks like line noise, but I haven't seen it that bad since I was on BBS with my Commodore 64 and a 300 baud modem. Damn, I'm old....

It looks like he's trying to use "special character coding" to insert certain characters into his posts; for example &198; would produce an uppercase Æ. They work in HTML, but the forums use UBBCode, so you have to just copy and paste the characters themselves.

That also happens when you compose your message first in Microsoft Word. It's nice for the spelling, but if the "smart quotes" feature is on in Word, you'll get the funny characters.

Smart quotes are just regular quote signs, but the one on the beginning of the sentence is tilted slightly to the left and the one at the end is tilted slightly to the right.

You can turn it off by clicking Tools/AutoCorrect... and then selecting the AutoFormat tab.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like line noise, but I haven't seen it that bad since I was on BBS with my Commodore 64 and a 300 baud modem. Damn, I'm old....

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the first time I filled up a whole cassette tape with data....I couldn't believe it!!! And then they invented hard drives that were under $300!!!! My, how we progress!!

I guess yau'll will just have to put up with my bad spelling. Not smart enough to figure out the auto correct stuff.

Yea, there are a few spell police a-holes on here. Who cares anything is better than seeing all of those "&#8817's"

[ QUOTE ]
Well in my case its taken about &#8855
But with you probably looking at &#8856-&#8857

Dude check and make sure you are using the proper code or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell does all this: &#8856-⊙ mean anyway?

[ QUOTE ]
That also happens when you compose your message first in Microsoft Word. It's nice for the spelling, but if the "smart quotes" feature is on in Word, you'll get the funny characters.

Smart quotes are just regular quote signs, but the one on the beginning of the sentence is tilted slightly to the left and the one at the end is tilted slightly to the right.

You can turn it off by clicking Tools/AutoCorrect... and then selecting the AutoFormat tab.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what it is. I was just being a smart a$$ and typing it in but I think he was using MS Word and then copying it.
Oh if you didnt see the original post Grumpy posted it had that stuff all in it. He did some editing

Back