Realistic Quotes.....

cime_sp

So I just finished the professional pilot program here at FSI and can say that I am very pleased with my experience. The quote given to me on my tour was for $44,059.00 from zero-time until multi-engine commercial. I just did the math and found that I finished at $42,167.62. That includes one lesson repeated (couldn't get those short-field landings right away) and 1 extra lesson thrown in to make sure I was ready for one of my checkrides. That includes all ground achools, uniforms, supplies, tests, etc.... There were a few "extra" items that I bought for myself that were not necessary but I wanted to have anyway that I did not include.
Let me also say that I finished at least a couple of weeks ahead of schedule. That includes 4 trips home throughout the program including a 2 week trip for the holidays.
Obviously everybody elses experiences will differ, but as long as you study, work hard, and most of all COME PREPARED to your lessons you will not have any problems. Do not expect anything to be handed to you though, you must earn it!
The biggest money saving tips I can give are this:
1) STUDY....if you come prepared to your briefs and know the material to be covered in the lesson you will not be charged for what is on the syllabus. They usually allow about 1 hour for brief time per lesson, if you only need 15-20 minutes to go over everything, you will only be charged for 15-20 minutes. It's small, but can add up to thousands by the time you are done. This is where you will save the bulk of your money!!!
2) Practice your procedures in the airplane (chair-fly) on the ground. The less time you need to spend in the air going over checklists/procedures, the more time you can work on perfecting your maneuvers.
3) Save the Frasca time for when it is truly important...Step 4B (Approaches). If you can cut off some time throught steps 2-4A it will give you more time in 4B for approaches, holds, simulated X/C's, etc...
4) In steps 2 and 4B, keep your X/C's relatively short so that you can get back early and either work on maneuvers (step 2) or incorporate more approaches (step 4B).
5) This is obvious, but try to not have to repeat any lessons. If you are having trouble getting something it is much cheaper to stay in the air and extend your current lesson than to go back early and have to repeat the entire lesson over again.
6) Gemeni!!! (Ride along on another students lesson) Especially in 4B (approaches). I would also suggest riding with a different instructor when you do this. It can many times give you a different prespective to things and teach you methods your instructor may not employ.

I hope this helps some people.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions

Congrats and Kudos for the intel. Just curious about whether or not the $$ included any of the instructor endorsements and what was the ttl multi racked up??

Hawk

No it is just for the "Professional Pilot Program"
which includes
-Private Single
-Private Multi
-Instrument (Multi)
-Commercial (Multi)

I still have to complete the SE add-on for the commercial and the instructor ratings.

Total time is 173 hours and I have 55 hours of multi time

WooHoo!!
grin.gif
Big congrats to you big daddy!! I'm happy for you.

I will be joining you down there in Vero around Sept-Jan to start the program. Already have my PPL.
My girlfiriend and I were discussing some battle plans for my stay at FSI and I do have a couple of questions, for you or any other at FSI, if you don't mind.

On vacations, does FSI shut down @ X-mas only and can you get a couple of days here and there to run back home to visit? I know you said you took some weeks off, how did you arrange that?

I haven't decided if I'm going straight to the dorms or apt. Probably to the dorms and then maybe find a roomie to share an apt. with.Any suggestions?

What is the current avg. wait at this point in time, after all classes etc. for callback to CFI? I think I will probably get a regular job locally to keep income while I wait.
I've heard pros and cons on going to another school or mom and pop FBO to build hours and make money while waiting for the FSI call.
Comments?

And I was curious what FSI does when a hurricane hits. Do they fly out all the tie-downs up farther north? Has FSI been hurt by any big storms lately?

That's about it, I'm seriously excited about attending FSI, and although I haven't made the tour yet to FSI and the other local academies, I'm 98% sure based on many things that it will be FSI that trains me.We shall see.
Again, congrats and best of luck to you, go have a buttload of drinks, I'll pop a Corona for you now
wink.gif

You can take an LOA (leave of Absence) up to 60 days per year (I wouldn't suggest that much!) whenever you have stuff to do out of town or just need a vacation. They only close down for a few days, if I remember correctly. But most people are out on LOA, so it's pretty dead. I think the dorm until you find an apt. is a good plan. In case of a hurrevac, the instructors take the planes north. Wait time...have no idea.

Good luck...you won't regret it!

Chunk

During the 8 months that I was there, I took a cumulative total of about 6 or 7 weeks off, and never once took an LOA. I just took my time off between finishing ratings, and I had flexible instructors.

Cimesp congrats
You said you finished the program earlier .. what are the steps to take to finish the program before the estimated time?

Another good point about FSI is that "YOU" are in charge of your loan money. Well, I guess that could be bad if you suffer from a gambling problem. Its nice to be in contol of the money.

Time off is up to you.

1. Tell your instructor whats up and when you need off, usually not a problem. However, not a good idea to take a break in the middle of a step. You will get rusty

2. LOA - Leave of absents- When you get a LOA your locked out of the scheduling computer.

3. If all else fails, let your account get low..NO FLY and you can't get scheduled until money is back into the account.

I think you need a LOA if you want more then a day or two off because the chief pilot will want to know why your not flying, well he'll come after your instructor.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Actually I don't really plan to take hardly any time off, but was curious just in case. I want to plow through at a reasonalble rate.

I bought a Vegas time share thing and got a bunch of vacations and cruise freebee's and have a limited time to use them and would like to if I could. Bottom line, flight training is job one.

I like the money control aspect, I don't want to enroll the hookers if I don't have too
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No it is just for the "Professional Pilot Program"
which includes
-Private Single
-Private Multi
-Instrument (Multi)
-Commercial (Multi)

I still have to complete the SE add-on for the commercial and the instructor ratings.

Total time is 173 hours and I have 55 hours of multi time

[/ QUOTE ]

Just 1 question. Btw congrats!!!

I am doing the math on your list above and does that mean that you have 118 single time? Is that all for the single enigne private? Or is it like some part of the IFR and commercial training is in single engine airplanes. I mean it can't be for private only? 118h to get the PPL is high so I guess I am missign something.

I am only wondering and not trying to make anything out of it.

At FSI, after your private you start step 2...

Step 2 is a combination of solo x-country flight time and dual commercial maneuvers in the single. Basically time building to get the hours needed for the commercial ticket.

Step 3...Private multi. around 15 hrs(seminole)

Step 4...Instrument-Done in the Multi...(seminole)

Step 5...Commercial Multi...(seminole)

Single engine add...done in the cadet or arrow. Student's option.

You get your commercial multi before the commercial single. So all the commercial maneuvers you do in step 2 don't come back until the single add. But the maneuvers come back quickly.

Tony

As for finishing early...FSI is again very realistic with regards to time estimates. They realize that people have lives outside of flying and budget in time for vacations, breaks, etc... They also do not expect you to fly every day either. There were very few times that I did multiple lessons in one day and if I did it was to combine two shorter lessons instead of doing them seperately. You can be a lot more productive that way (especially in the twins) by only having to do 1 run-up, taxiing, entering the pattern, parking etc...

As far as single time, TrcB777 is correct. Syllabus time for your private is 35 hours. I finished with about 40-41. After that is your time building and SE commercial maneuvers which give you a good portion of the 190 hours needed for your commercial. Then starts your multi. Then the instrument. Then your commercial...

I have a friend who started there at the end of August with his private. He started Step 2, and went all the way through CFI/CFII/MEI. He finished end of April. I don't know what they quoted him for time, but he worked hard and sure didn't waste any time.

I see. So it is time building after PPL. Makes sense.

Like 2 weeks ago we have landed at VRB to fill up at night. We parked right next to the fleet like 100 yards of it. I could not figure out why there were so many twins and relatively few singles. So now I know.

Anyways it was an impressive fleet even at 11PM.

You probably didn't even see the south ramp from where you were! There are a coupla Seneca's over there...

How long does step 2 take to finish? do you begin right after finishing the private audit (if you come in with ppl) while in commercial ground school, or right after, and is there a certain number of xc hours that is needed to finish step 2 or what?.. i was just wondering

TRCB777 is right, except he forgot to add all the beach time in step 2(Get those cross countries done nice and early), Tuesday nights at Cafe Caribe, and golden tee at Kellys(Step 3-Single engine add). Work real hard at those ratings, but keep a lot of balance in between to blow of the steam. Good luck, Flightsafety is the BEST training you are going to find out there.

JJOB757 is right, words like Golden Tee, Guiness, "The City of Lights" The Beach, Ducky, etc...

JJO,

Your favorite place to go was TGI Fridays! Right? No, it was Atlantic Grill...because they NEVER overcharge. No, wait...it was Key West Bar, such friendly patrons at that establishment. But the number one place to go for a beer in Vero Beach.......THE POUR(poor) HOUSE!!!!!!

PS Ducky is the greatest mathematician in Vero ....should be at MIT

Tony

...the pour house...wow! Any bar that's in a strip mall, well, that just says quality entertainment!

Back