Realistic Expectations

csavage

So I have lurked here awhile, and read up on schools and the job market...

Although I do not have an extensive aviation background, I was picked up off the street for terminal ATC, and attended OKC in August of last year. As life would have it, my father passed away very unexpectedly while I was there in my last few weeks of school. I had to come back to TX to take care of all his affairs, and while I was able to go back to OKC, I was not able to successfully pass my PV. Talk about devastated! I was already at the age cut off when I got accepted the first time.

Fortunately, I have not had to work since leaving the academy at the end of December; mainly because my husband makes enough to support the family. Because of this reason, I am not easily able to relocate like I wish I could when starting out as a dispatcher. I thought about going back to police dispatching (my work background), but I love aviation would like to stay in this field.

I have looked into IFOD for schooling as I live in the DFW metroplex. I guess if money is not really the object, and I can wait it out after school... do you think I am crazy for trying to stay in the DFW area?

Also, once hired, I noticed one carrier required cockpit hours as part of their training... do most companies require you do some flying time whether it be part 121/135/91 for dispatching?

TIA!

So I have lurked here awhile, and read up on schools and the job market...

Although I do not have an extensive aviation background, I was picked up off the street for terminal ATC, and attended OKC in August of last year. As life would have it, my father passed away very unexpectedly while I was there in my last few weeks of school. I had to come back to TX to take care of all his affairs, and while I was able to go back to OKC, I was not able to successfully pass my PV. Talk about devastated! I was already at the age cut off when I got accepted the first time.

Fortunately, I have not had to work since leaving the academy at the end of December; mainly because my husband makes enough to support the family. Because of this reason, I am not easily able to relocate like I wish I could when starting out as a dispatcher. I thought about going back to police dispatching (my work background), but I love aviation would like to stay in this field.

I have looked into IFOD for schooling as I live in the DFW metroplex. I guess if money is not really the object, and I can wait it out after school... do you think I am crazy for trying to stay in the DFW area?

Also, once hired, I noticed one carrier required cockpit hours as part of their training... do most companies require you do some flying time whether it be part 121/135/91 for dispatching?

TIA!

I am very sorry for your loss.

No, you're not crazy.

There are much worse places to handcuff yourself than DFW for entry-level dispatcher jobs. American Eagle hires from time to time and you wouldn't have to move anywhere. You're also in a good position if your husband can supplement your income starting out. There's some who love the job and hate the small paycheck - but if you have additional income that isn't as large as a concern as it could be.
If you do start out in Dallas, be aware that you'll have to be a little bit more patient for job attrition to take its toll, and you probably won't be hired right away. Worse case scenario, you are not hired by American Eagle and there are still some part 135 operators in North Texas that may employ dispatchers.

As far as cockpit hours, it's really cockpit familiarization, which is required by Part 121 for all dispatchers. You'll observe from the cockpit jumpseat for a minimum of 2.5 hours per calendar year, and most likely just a little bit more. It's a good perspective to observe day to day operations on the line. There is no cockpit flight time that is necessary for training.

If you decide to try it, your academy training will help you hit the ground running. All in all, if you can invest the time/money right now, and you have realistic expectations after licensing, I'd say give it a try. Best of luck.

My condolences as well.

If that is where you want to stay, then by all means. You can make it work. One suggestion is if you are not able to get hired into dispatch immediately, you might consider working as a Customer Service Agent with American Eagle or Southwest. Then when a position does open it may be somewhat easier to move over. Also you be able to see if a 24/7 airline schedule will fit your life style plus you will build the ever elusive seniority with the company.

Best of Luck

Back