Questions on getting a flight dispatcher license and maybe getting a job in dispatching

ktsai91

Hello all, I am trying to apply to airlines and airports again for this summer for summer internships. I'm currently majoring in aviation administration. I had an idea (and this was also just a suggestion my professor said to the class) that in case I cannot find an aviation internship this summer, I was thinking of spending most of my summer going to a flight dispatch school hopefully to get a flight dispatch license. I am hoping that a flight dispatcher license will make me even more marketable to the airlines and airports in addition to getting a non-professional pilot aviation degree.

I've taken a look on the FAA website and it says that there are several FAR Part 65 Flight Dispatching Schools in NYC area. Which one is the best one? Any are there any dispatch schools in North or Central NJ so I don't have to commute a long distance from home to NYC and back? I already know they have some schools NYC.

Also, I think I have to be 23 years old to get the dispatch license but I heard on another online aviation forums that you can enroll in a dispatching school if you are at least 21 and when you pass you get some kind of certificate or paper that says when you turn 23, you can work as a dispatcher. Is that true? Or do I even have to be 23 to enroll in a dispatch school? I'm turning 22 in a couple of days.

Is it possible to get a dispatcher license in one summer between the spring and fall college semesters? How often do I go to school per week? Is it like a 8 am to 3 pm Monday to Friday like in high school?

Flight Safety is a popular choice in NYC, I think they hold their classes at LaGuardia in both a weekdays or weekends format.

You can get your sign off under 23, but won't actually receive your certificate until you turn 23.

You could always consider doing a distance learning course such as Airline Ground Schools or Sheffield. There are many topics discussing those two schools in detail, just do a search for them.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/swa-operations-internship.166685/

Worth a shot.... though I truly believe they ear mark these positions for people before posting it on their website and then simply go thru the formalities.

You can do all the dispatcher stuff the day you turn 21 and then your license will be frozen until you turn 23. So yes you can do stuff at 21 and might even be able to get a job as an asst. dispatcher or a flight follower before you turn 23 because of it.

Like Rogo said..... Airline Ground School is one of the best out there and by far the most practical and reasonable. Great product from them.

Good luck

I also found out that Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology also offers an aircraft dispatcher certificate. Would it be possible to enroll at Vaughn in the summer and get my dispatcher certificate before the end of the summer?

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/swa-operations-internship.166685/

Worth a shot.... though I truly believe they ear mark these positions for people before posting it on their website and then simply go thru the formalities.

You can do all the dispatcher stuff the day you turn 21 and then your license will be frozen until you turn 23. So yes you can do stuff at 21 and might even be able to get a job as an asst. dispatcher or a flight follower before you turn 23 because of it.

Like Rogo said..... Airline Ground School is one of the best out there and by far the most practical and reasonable. Great product from them.

Good luck
I would also look at other airlines as well. When I was at Ohio State Delta came in to interview for a summer internship in their network analysis department in ATL. You should also look at the regional's and cargo carriers since they also have intern listings

Back