Questions for the redhead stepchildren of Continental.

ThatOtherDude

All of us exept Expressjet who have great flight bennefits need to do something about this.
Colgan, Commutair and Chautauqua guys, does it make you mad that we have no Buddy Passes, Vaccation Passes and we're SA5's while Expressjet has all that and they're SA3's?
Here at Colgan we can't even designate a friend as a pass rider like Expressjet and Continental guys can.
It's so unfair that an Expressjet employee's mother can come on our airplane and bump us off because even they are SA4's ! That is freakin rediculous!

I know many people don't care because you don't even travel but for us that give a damn, what do we do about it? A petition? To whom, our company or Continental? Any ideas besides starting a jumpseat war?:)

I know you just didn't mention a jumpseat war.

Your beef is with your employer, not with CAL, and not with my mom, dad or girlfriend that can bump you off your plane. Your employer (ie Colgan) sets up it's pass benefits with CAL. This is all part of the negotiation process, between you and your employer and your employer and CAL.

If it's that important to you, voice your concerns to your union or pilot group which will get to management. Hopefully your management will want to go to bat for you with CAL. Don't expect CAL to give you a benefit just to be nice. It's all part of the bargaining process and the travel bennies are a nice chip.

I know at XJT we always hear the travel bennies are up for review each year. I guess one bright spot from the new CPA signing was an extension of them. They're not the best in the industry but they're pretty damn good IMO and I use them.

Might be a holdover from Expressjet being owned by Continental once upon a time whereas the rest are nothing more than contractor.

You can always apply at Continental! :)

Wow. AND XJT gets paid a ton more than you with superior work rules.

Wouldn't it be great if CJC could get some sort of negotiating group to come in and work some of those problems out? Like... an association of pilots or something.

I tell ya. It's just not fair!

It's all part of the compensation and can be negotiated like anything else.

I may have heard this wrong, but it's my understanding Chelsea flies SA2 (or whatever is one step above xjet), because they really wanted it and were willing to give up something else for it. Everything has a dollar value.

Wow. AND XJT gets paid a ton more than you with superior work rules.

Wouldn't it be great if CJC could get some sort of negotiating group to come in and work some of those problems out? Like... an association of pilots or something.

I tell ya. It's just not fair!

*Chuckle*

Well played. ;)

Oh I know we hear this at Airways too. Many of the AWAC, RAH, CHQ, Colgan guys complain that PDT/PSA are SA3 why they are not. Its part of a contract and like Doug said I think a lot of it has to be with they use to be owned by CAL? Wonder why they get somethings that Colgan does not. Part of the regional you choose to work for. You always have the jumpseat in your own aircraft do you not? Jumpseat if nothing else. Other then that the seats in the back are controlled by CAL and if xjet pilots parents are above you then that's how it goes. I believe its the same way here at Airways. I know my buddy partner is a SA4 which is above others and it makes them mad. But its part of the game.

Sorry for even mentioning the jumpseat war.:) I rather keep things as they are before I'd want to see that ever happen.

The thing is we have no Union yet or an organized pilot group. Also, even when we join ALPA it feels like it will be years till changes are made unless concerns start to voiced now. Also the purpose of this post is to reach out to our Commutair and Chautauqua friends to join in the cause for fairness.

By the way, I have the uttermost respect for Expressjet guys and admire how they for the most part stand their ground when it comes to negotiations. Although not perfect you set a better precedent than most airlines. Also, your mom, dad and girlfriend are always welcome on our flights. It's not their fault my company dosen't care about us.

Less pay
Less benefits
No contract
No help when you screw up or when you fail your medical
And the most important benefit... no 1.95% dues.

Well, I'm deff pro Union but you can't really just put it like that. Mesa, Commutair and Chatauqua are all Unionized are they not? ALPA will be good but can't look at them as the answers to all of our problems. We need to all get together and voice our concerns.

We will never get what we deserve unless we negotiate better. Union or no Union. And again, I can't wait to vote yes.

If you work on the US Air or United side of Colgan your travel benefits aren't so bad so it's not just Colgan that's to blame. I think we do have "beef" with CAL. They're just not as employee friendly as other airlines. Do they realize that a company will be more successful when workers aren't going to work all disgruntled.

Not to defend Colgan management but it's really not in their greatest interest to get stuff like that for us. We have to step up somehow and make it a priority before we can expect things to get done.

I remember a time when EWR had all day trips. We bitched and complained and it's much better now. So next time Buddy comes back to town please say something. I have.

United benefits for CJC are pretty much the same as CAL.

Its a shame the crappiest airline we fly under gives us the best benefits.

At least you have some. When I was at Skyway, only I had bennies on Midwest, but no one else did at all.

I sent you a PM. I can very well explain to you why we are classified as we are. Do not hesitate to contact me.

We will never get what we deserve unless we negotiate better. Union or no Union. And again, I can't wait to vote yes.

But without a Union, YOU DON'T GET TO NEGOTIATE SQUAT. You're work rules are at the pleasure of the Company. They can change them whenever they like and you have NOTHING to say about it.

So forget about negotiating anything until after you're represented. If I were you I'd be REALLY nice to your F/As. Its due to THEIR Union contract that YOU get some of the bennies you do get (i.e. hotels, for one thing).

Back