Questions about some of the Paper work..

Zeppelinpilot

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum. Some very interesting information on here. My first question is, how many of you are OTS vs. CTI vs. VRA? I'm gonna graduate CTI in Dec, so your all a bit ahead of me. Didn't seem like there were any CTI's on here. Anyways.

I was told that we should get all the information for the security clearance way ahead of time. I was told I could go and print out the Security Form that i needed and fill it out now. Where can I find it? And if I do fill it out, does that mean I would have to fill it out at the PEPC? Or will they make me transcribe all the info over to a new form (I expect nothing less from them).

Any other forms that I should look to fill out ahead of time?

Thanks

From my experience on this forum it is a pretty good mix of applicants, I would say that OTS has a larger majority. You will get a Fillable Adobe form that you cannot save, so do not fill it out until you have all of the information. You will want to fill it out prior to the PEPC because you will have to do some research of course. At the PEPC you will have to log onto a laptop and transcribe all of that information to a program for OPM. I don't think there is any other way to do it unless you have a prior clearance accomplished by OPM.

I believe you can search for the forms on the FAA website or just Google them since they ar SF (Standard Form).

icon1.gif
Re: SF85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatc
Do you still have the link to that site with the different forms handy?

Thanks,
P

Absolutely!! http://www.opm.gov/forms/html/sf.asp

Courtesy of Utahaviator

Freezer, Thanks for the info. I assume if I gather all the information for one form, I will basically have what I need for the other?

the SF86 is more thorough so I would assume if you fill that one out it would have everything you need for the 85P

Just out of curiosity... Why do terminal applicants fill out a less thorough security form than enroute? They are both protecting civilian lives. What is the difference?

Just out of curiosity... Why do terminal applicants fill out a less thorough security form than enroute? They are both protecting civilian lives. What is the difference?

I believe some enroute locations may deal with Homeland Security and military operations. Over here in the Northwest we have the WADS(Western Air Defense Sector) which deals with that kinda stuff. I will stop where I am at for OPSEC reasons.

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum. Some very interesting information on here. My first question is, how many of you are OTS vs. CTI vs. VRA? I'm gonna graduate CTI in Dec, so your all a bit ahead of me. Didn't seem like there were any CTI's on here. Anyways.

I was told that we should get all the information for the security clearance way ahead of time. I was told I could go and print out the Security Form that i needed and fill it out now. Where can I find it? And if I do fill it out, does that mean I would have to fill it out at the PEPC? Or will they make me transcribe all the info over to a new form (I expect nothing less from them).

Any other forms that I should look to fill out ahead of time?

Thanks
Are you waiting to graduate and then go the CTI route? I would HIGHLY recommend applying to the current OTS announcement. I am a CTI student as well but am in the process of being hired for an OTS announcement. It will probably be much faster this way, and cheaper.

Well yes, I was planning on waiting to graduate, and then applying for a CTI Announcement. I'm so close to graduating, there is no way I would drop out now. Are you saying that I should just apply OTS, but NOT drop out? Not sure if I followed you. Why would it be cheaper unless I didn't finish school?

How close are you to graduating Zeppelin? I think what nathan is probably saying is that if you have at least another semester or more to go, you will probably be able to get in quicker if you just apply OTS. And I agree with that. I'm a CTI student also, but I still have 40 hours left before I graduate though. I applied OTS in february and my PEPC is next week. OTS could possibly be a faster option for you than waiting until you graduate and get the CTI school recommendation. Just a thought...

That's funny. Because I am CTI and graduating next month. But when I applied in Feb. I was hoping to get a head start. Then, as it turns out, I didn't even get selected.

How close are you to graduating Zeppelin? I think what nathan is probably saying is that if you have at least another semester or more to go, you will probably be able to get in quicker if you just apply OTS. And I agree with that. I'm a CTI student also, but I still have 40 hours left before I graduate though. I applied OTS in february and my PEPC is next week. OTS could possibly be a faster option for you than waiting until you graduate and get the CTI school recommendation. Just a thought...

Are you dropping out of college if you get hired?

I ask because I'm about 30 units from graduating (economics degree), but won't be able to finish the degree if I get hired. Curious what other people are doing (or opinions on the situation)

That's funny. Because I am CTI and graduating next month. But when I applied in Feb. I was hoping to get a head start. Then, as it turns out, I didn't even get selected.

I'm sure you will get selected once your school sends your recommendation to the FAA. I would probably still keep applying OTS until then though. There is a new announcement ending 7/31/08 on ASAP.

Are you dropping out of college if you get hired?

I ask because I'm about 30 units from graduating (economics degree), but won't be able to finish the degree if I get hired. Curious what other people are doing (or opinions on the situation)

I am thinking that I will have to drop out if I get hired (don't think I can swing the academy and college too!:panic:). But I plan to go back in a few years after all of my training and finish up my degree if I can.

Well yes, I was planning on waiting to graduate, and then applying for a CTI Announcement. I'm so close to graduating, there is no way I would drop out now. Are you saying that I should just apply OTS, but NOT drop out? Not sure if I followed you. Why would it be cheaper unless I didn't finish school?

If you can get hired OTS there is absolutely no reason to finish CTI school. It is completely unnecessary. The only thing it buys you is 5 less weeks in OKC. So dropping out is where you save the money (on tuition/books). I would be graduating December 11th but have no intention of doing so now. The only reason I'm still enrolled is that I'm living off of the GI Bill.

My 2 cents.

if you apply OTS now you probably won't be going to OKC until decemberish so you won't have to drop out. They accomodated one girl in my graduating class. She applied for the 07 OTS And they let her push back OKC date so she
Could graduate. Apply for PUBNAT5 you can always reject the interview

Well I appreciate all the advice. But I'm graduating in December, and I'm not about to drop out now. It seems like more of a waste if all the money I spent to date did not result in a degree.

Who knows if I'll fail the medical, or the AT-SAT or just hate the job. Bottom line is I want my degree. Obviously I could always go back and finish the degree later if ATC did not work out. But I don't really feel like it.

Just feel like finishing.

Well I appreciate all the advice. But I'm graduating in December, and I'm not about to drop out now. It seems like more of a waste if all the money I spent to date did not result in a degree.

Who knows if I'll fail the medical, or the AT-SAT or just hate the job. Bottom line is I want my degree. Obviously I could always go back and finish the degree later if ATC did not work out. But I don't really feel like it.

Just feel like finishing.

That's probably not a bad decision. A degree can only help you in life. Employers don't generally care if someone is 1 semester away from graduating. If you don't have the degree on your resume, you're in pretty much the same boat as someone who has never attended college.

Besides, the FAA will always be hiring CTI grads...It's the folks without a CTI degree who have to get in now while the opportunity is there.

Back