Questions about regional initial training

Muff3n

Hey guys,

I have a few questions regarding the initial pilot training at regionals. I am currently working on my CFI, so I am still a few years from being there, but I'm curious about the process. To the best of my understanding, training essentially consist of a "ground school" portion and then a sim portion, correct? If anybody would like to break those down into more specific pieces that would be great information to have.

Another question that I have regards failing a sim ride or any of the other written test you may have to take while you are there (if anybody would elaborate on what the different written tests are that would be great). I am not exactly sure what all the simulator check ride consist of, but if there is a particular portion that you fail do you get a second shot to do the ride, or do they just boot you completely out of training? That would really suck to make it weeks through the training and then fail one small portion and get the boot! Any insight that you guys may have on the steps of training and what happens if you fail a particular test would be greatly appreciated. I am still years away, but would love a little insight. Thanks!

Hey,

Typically training starts with a week of Indoctrinarion or Indoc. This is to familiarize you with a smattering of information pertaining to 121 operations. Anything from weather to regs to company policy and procedures. You'll also go through hazmat, and other general subject matter and culminate with an Indoc test. After that you'll usually start systems for the airplane you're going to fly. Systems generally lasts 2-3 weeks and covers just that. The electrical, hydraulic, powerplant, fuel, pneumatic and other various systems specific to your airplane. At the end of this portion you'll also take a cumulative test on those systems.

After the ground portion you generally see a few days in what is referred to as the "paper tiger" or GFS (Graphic Flight Simulator) to familiarize yourself with the layout and positions of switches and buttons. This is either posters arranged to display the panels as you will see them in the flight deck or touch screen monitors that mimic what the airplane does when different buttons and switches are activated. You'll work flows and call outs to help you build a foundation before getting to the sim. Sim is usually 8 or so sessions, 7 to learn all culminating in a check ride/type ride. The way the check ride goes depends on if your company is AQP or not. If not, it'll be a standard takeoff, steep turns, unusual attitude recovery, stall recoveries and then a few approaches. Non precision, an ILS to minimums followed by a missed approach, then perhaps resetting back to the runway for a V1 cut to a single engine ILS. If it's an AQP program the last sim before your ride is usually a maneuvers validation. It's doing what was just described but it isn't a check ride. The actual ride is more like a line flight with minor issues thrown in. The idea being that you are evaluated based on what you are most likely to do on a normal day and trained on abnormal items (single engine, fires, etc.)

After your type ride you'll usually see a LOFT (Line Oriented Flight Training) or two. Here you're pretending to have an average day at work. This helps pilots transition from the sim/training environment to the line mindset and gives you an idea of what to expect on the line before you are in the hot seat.

Next comes IOE, Initial Operating Experience. Here you're flying line flights with a Check Airman who trains and evaluates you as you fly. It's a bit more relaxed but you are still under the microscope in a sense, and they're looking to see it all come together here. The last evolution is a line check. Your check airman essentially has two legs, one with you as the Pilot Flying and one as the Pilot Monitoring to ensure you're all polished up and ready to be turned loose on the unsuspecting public.

Typically if you bust any portion of training you are allowed to and usually will receive additional training before attempting another jeopardy event. The big thing is going to be your attitude. If you're humble, and show that you want to succeed companies will absolutely work with you.

Airline training can be intense, and it is a lot to take in in a relatively short amount of time. Work ethic and time management are key. You're expected to put in the hours in your down time to study but be sure to give yourself time to relax. An hour or two every day to exercise or have "you" time and a day on the weekends to relax go a long way in managing stress. In the mean time, focus on being as good an instructor as you can. Train your students to be pilots, not just to pass a check ride and enjoy the time you spend here. Airline flying is a great job but it does wear on you after a while. I hope this helps, and we'll see you up front soon enough!

Last edited:
Etflies covered it very well, but I thought I'd throw in a couple more tidbits about the sim process. Keep in mind that these are from one specific airline, so things will vary between companies.

I went through AQP for my initial training, and during the maneuvers validation, we were allowed two repeats (one maneuver twice or two maneuvers once) without failing the checkride.

If you did end up failing the checkride (or the initial oral, the IOE line check, or any other training event), it triggers a training review board, where representatives from various departments would meet with the student to decide on a course of action to correct the issues and get them proficient for the second attempt. After a second failure, the company can simply fire someone, but those situations are handled on a case by case basis since they're pretty rare.

If you're laid back enough to have a picture of Ty Webb as your avatar (as well as asking questions here) you will do exceedingly well in training.

Back