Question

Olympic

Hey guys im scheduled to be down in Vero August 4th and I have a question regarding things I will need to bring with me. Since I have no prior Flight Hours ( Just took a Intro Flight ) I basically have no flying materials or equipment. What should I buy before coming down ? .. Thanks.
cool.gif

Actually, the pilot shop here is pretty resonable and they have everything that you might need. Of course you could always try buying stuff used too.

Dave

Thanks for the reply, but the question is what will I need when arriving at FSI I figure a Flight bag .. what else?? ... I can buy some stuff from a local store in my area ..let me know
smile.gif

Well, if you're starting here w/o your private, you don't really NEED anything to get started. You'll be in ground school for a couple weeks before you go up. I'm not sure how long that is because I came here with my private done already. The pilot shop has all of the books/supplies that you'll need, but if you want to get a head start, you could buy the Jeppesen Private Pilot book. I have a used copy if you're interested (send me a PM if you want). Other than that, you'll need a copy of the FAR/AIMs, Miami and Jacksonville VFR sectionals and some other books. The pilot shop has a copy of the required books and they're actually cheaper than most mail-order places.

As far as a flight bag goes, I'd hold off until you can get an idea of what sort of bag you'll need. Personally, I like the Jeppesen bag that I bought here. It's the Aviator model and it's big enough to fit what I need w/o being too big.

You'll also need a headset (if you don't already have one). I'd recommend treating yourself on this purchase. It's going to be clampped to your head for a long time. Whether you get noise reduction or not... I'm not going to start that argument. Again, the pilot shop has many models that you can try out. Personally, I'd wait until you get down here so that you can try a few out.

Hope that helps. Seeya in August (if I'm still here!)

Dave

Thanks Dave for all the information .. I got one more question .. you have to pay for all your books ?? I thought maybe we get some stuff free
smile.gif
.. let me know if we get anything for free hehe .. thanks again.

Well, so far I've gotten a bag, two coffee mugs, a luggage tag, a couple pens, and a FSI memo pad. You'll soon learn that nothing in avaition is free.
wink.gif

Well, that's not exactly true. If you go to the airport cafe in Venice, FL and get a certain number of gallons of gas, you get a free breakfast.

good luck,
Dave

haha .. Ok ill make sure ill do all my shopping at FSI. Btw I heard FSI has a seperate gym, is it far from campus?, maybe that is free haha thanks ... I got so many questions sorry
smile.gif

Yes there is a gym close to campus....It would be a far walk but a good bike ride (5-10 minutes maybe).

It's called the Leisure Square Gym, it's part of the Indian River County Recreation department. It's got pretty nice facilities, a weight room, cardio room, raquetball court, olympic outdoor heated pool, basketball courts and a big football/soccer field.

It is free however you have to pay a fee to use the pool...It's not as nice as a "Brand Name" gym but if you don't have a ton of $ and are looking for a halfway decent place, this is it.

They also took one of the Bungalows on campus and put in a weight machine, bike, treadmill, T.V. Room, Pool Table, etc.

Hey Dave, and any other FSA or is it FSI? I've got got a couple of questions and hopefully you can steer me right.

Firstly, I've been doing my homework since I decided to go the major big bucks Fla. academy route and have been scouring this and other forums to get a handle on many things. In many ways comparing the different academies is like comparing apples and Cessnas. There is fact and there is alot of personal opinion and preference. I'm sorting through all of it and am leaning to FSA( before tours). I've got all the brochure packs and have spoken to admins and CFI etc from the acad's and of course they all paint a much prettier picture than what I see in the posts, thats ok. A grain of salt. Anyway...to the questions.

I have read posts that advise to get your FAA writtens over before coming. You all agree? I will be doing the Airline Career route, I already have the PPL. What textbooks do the Instr. and up classes use? Jepps?

I see that many start in a dorm and then get an apt. later. Does a new student have to start in a dorm or not? I have been checking out the area apts online and heard one FSAer suggest Canterbery/burry Place. Comments? I would like to make arangements ahead for rentals if I can start first in a apt. One advantage to starting in a dorm though might be that you will meet some that you might like to share an apt. with, right? On the other hand you can also meet someone in class or campus.

What's the latest on how long after course completion is the wait for instructing as a CFI?

There was discussion yesterday of some that wished they had of got their SE done before ME. Do you agree? I was told to set that up right away in orientaion. Can I also request/demand that I get assigned a non-smoking CFI?

Can I get a free FSA pencil and coffee mug?
cool.gif

That's all, thanks ahead to all that dare reply...

Ron

One more thing. I've heard some say that you don't have to go to a major acad to get hired by a reg. or whatever, that so many hours TT and ME is just that and you can go to a mom and pop school and it won't matter so don't spend the big bucks. Of course the acad employees will say otherwise but it seems to me that a recruiter would much more favor a candidate with time at a structured acad than mom and pops.

What's your take on that debate?

Thanks again.

Hey Ron,

I reserved a Dorm first, its not required .. its a first come first serve basis. A lot of my friends who have graduated from FSI told me that they first started in a dorm and found people to leave and share an apartement.

I am also doing the Airline Career Program, I have no PPL.
When are you planning to begin training?

See you at FSI !

Ron on your second post ... I know for a fact in Europe or at least in my country Greece, the flight school name does matter. Now for the United States, Im sure they will look at where you trained, FSI has very good training and will train you to be the best. What you get at FSI you wont get at your local flight school. You train at the best you become the best, just my opinion.

Icarus(born on wings of steel...), thanks for the info, at this point I havn't set a month yet and have a few things to clear up here first but perhaps betwwen Aug and Jan. is the best estimate I can give this far out.

I do favor FSI because of the high training standards. It seems as though it does have some clout to have FSI on resume. Sounds like you like it there right?

I start my training August 4th .. but I have a lot of relatives and friends who attended the school and now fly for airlines around the world! All Ive heard from all of them is that I will have a great time and I will leave very satisfied both with training and life.

I would recommend doing the program in the twin. You have to have multi-time eventually, so why not start now? It is my opinion that it will make you a better pilot. If you can do it in the twin, it will seem easy in a single. I also think it will make you a better MEI. If you have questions about cost comparisons between single vs. twin for your training, call marketing. They will get you any information you need.

If you come stay in the dorms, you can leave them anytime. There is no 'notice' required. That way you can look around for apartments once you are here. Also note that most apartments require a 9 month lease. It is possible to complete your training in less than that if you are in a big hurry.

As far as the wait list, I would not really plan on working here in the immediate future. Contact marketing to find how many people are on the list. Any estimate of how long the wait list is just a guess. No one really knows what is going to happen.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Thanks anonoman, I'll keep those ideas in mind. I'll call marketing and see what they have to say. Anybody else currently at FSI care to add on any of my questions and your inside/non-employee opinion?

Back