Question

[ QUOTE ]
In many ways comparing the different academies is like comparing apples and Cessnas. There is fact and there is alot of personal opinion and preference.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true... It takes some effort, but if you put everything out on paper you can get closer to leveling the playing field and making an informed decision. Like you, I spoke with many schools (including universities, and FBOs). After I came down here and visited several schools, I was more confused than ever. Just remember, marketing people are paid to do one thing, market. What really turned the tide for me was: a) visiting the schools, and b) talking to different student of the schools and observing what was being said about the schools on this and other forums. FlightSafety isn't necessarily the perfect choice for everybody, but it was good for me and my situation. (talk to me after a couple years of repaying my Key loan!
wink.gif
)
[ QUOTE ]
I have read posts that advise to get your FAA writtens over before coming. You all agree?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see any benefit of doing this. I know that ATPs requires it, but that's a whole different situation. It makes no sense to take the tests before you know (and understand) what the material is. It doesn't cost any different to take the test here or elsewhere, so I'd just recommend waiting until you finish ground school for which ever test your going to take. That being said, the instrument test uses an identical set of questions that the CFII and IGI (instrument ground instructor) do so you might as well get those out of the way at the same time.
[ QUOTE ]
I will be doing the Airline Career route, I already have the PPL. What textbooks do the Instr. and up classes use? Jepps?

[/ QUOTE ]
The commercial and instrument ground schools both use the Jeppesen Commercial/Instrument book. You could probably pick one up used, just make sure that you get one that's reasonably new. FSI also uses a few FAA publications. They are sold here pretty cheap or you can try and get used ones. They are: Aviation Weather (AC 00-6A), Aviation Weather Services (AC 00-45E), Airplane Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-3), and Instrument Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-15). Also, check half.com for a used copy of the old Instrument Flying Handbook (AC 61-27C). It's not required, but it's a lot more detailed and your instructor will think you're cool when you pull it out. I got one for around $5.00 on half.com. Other than that, you'll need a current FAR/AIM, POHs for the different planes and checklists. Phew.
[ QUOTE ]
I see that many start in a dorm and then get an apt. later. Does a new student have to start in a dorm or not?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
[ QUOTE ]
I have been checking out the area apts online and heard one FSAer suggest Canterbery/burry Place. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]
Canterbury is ok. One nice thing about them is that they offer shorter leases. I think they have a 7 month and a 9 month available. In retrospect, I wish that I would have gone there myself because I signed a year lease thinking that the instructor waiting list would be shorter. Ooops.
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to make arangements ahead for rentals if I can start first in a apt. One advantage to starting in a dorm though might be that you will meet some that you might like to share an apt. with, right? On the other hand you can also meet someone in class or campus.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would just wait. That's the cool thing about the dorms, they're day to day. And like you said, you will probably find a classmate who's in the same situation.
[ QUOTE ]
What's the latest on how long after course completion is the wait for instructing as a CFI?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard a minimum of 8 months, but who knows? That seems to change from day to day. It really depends on the industry and student load. If the airlines were to somehow magically start hiring tomorrow things would be a whole lot different. The last time I asked, the plan was to get down to about 70 instructors before they started bringing people in. At that time there were about 80 something working. My current plan is to complete my CFI here, try to get on the list and then if I do, finish my CFII and maybe my MEI and then go elsewhere to teach while I wait.
[ QUOTE ]
There was discussion yesterday of some that wished they had of got their SE done before ME. Do you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I can't say that I agree. Yes it's more expensive. About $107/hr. more. But, where are you going to get multi (and/or complex) time for $107/hr? Also, I feel a LOT more comfortable in the Seminole now than I did after getting my Private-Multi; after 14 hrs. or so. I think that will make it a lot easier to get the MEI and be able to teach it well.
[ QUOTE ]
I was told to set that up right away in orientaion. Can I also request/demand that I get assigned a non-smoking CFI?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine that being a problem. Talk to Mr. Tardy about that.
[ QUOTE ]
Can I get a free FSA pencil and coffee mug?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't confirm that.

Good luck,
Dave

Thanks Dave, your a good egg to take the time to answer all my questions including the quotes, I'm gonna have to figure out how to do those.

Your advice was well recieved and will take it all into account.

Blue Skies there big daddy
cool.gif

1. Do the tours down here if you can...would be pretty easy to visit ComAir (now Delta Connection Academy I think) on one day then FSA in Vero and Pan Am in Ft Pierce the next. Leave day #3 for Disney, Universal Studios, etc... My story- I was set on Pan AM- based on the brochure and a really nice career development guy I spoke to on the phone- before visiting. After seeing FSA and talking to some students and instructors, knew it was the place to be. I think one of the main reasons people post some concerns and complaints is that the industry is so bad right now there really isnt much to be happy about. Maybe some dont realize the superior level of training they are/have gotten here as well. Yes, there are some problems and things that can be improved at FSA, but nothing is perfect in life. My two cents on where to go...

Ask for Campbell for your tour guide....

2. Dont worry about doing the writtens before coming...you'll still be sitting through ground school anyway (which is not a bad thing, especially for instrument) regardless of whether or not you've got your writtens done.

3. I started in a dorm as well then found a house and a roomate. The library has a list on the computers for places to rent, roomates wanted, furniture for sale, etc.... (Including my house for rent, PM me if anyone wants info- 2bed/1bath house for $700...great neighborhood).

4. Wait list- its long, I am #77 of 79 or so I think. Do CFI / CFII here then go somewhere else in the world and teach/make some contacts, etc...You can then come back when FSA calls or you may be happy where you are. Some on the list do not come back when their number is up..there are other really good gigs out there (apparently, I am trying to find one right now)

5. Fly the Seminole- yeah, it hurts at $200+ an hour, but its well worth it. Flight training is not cheap, do it right.

Somebody mentioned Mr Tardi in another post- yep, he is the man...you've got a problem or question, he'll help.

If you get a free coffee mug, take advantage of the free coffee on the flight line....

[ QUOTE ]
1. Do the tours down here if you can...would be pretty easy to visit ComAir (now Delta Connection Academy I think) on one day then FSA in Vero and Pan Am in Ft Pierce the next. Leave day #3 for Disney, Universal Studios, After seeing FSA and talking to some students and instructors, knew it was the place to be. Yes, there are some problems and things that can be improved at FSA, but nothing is perfect in life. My two cents on where to go...

Ask for Campbell for your tour guide....

2. Dont worry about doing the writtens before coming...you'll still be sitting through ground school anyway (which is not a bad thing, especially for instrument) regardless of whether or not you've got your writtens done.

3. I started in a dorm as well then found a house and a roomate.
4. Wait list- its long, I am #77 of 79 or so I think. Do CFI / CFII here then go somewhere else in the world and teach/make some contacts, etc...You can then come back when FSA calls or you may be happy where you are.

5. Fly the Seminole- do it right.

Somebody mentioned Mr Tardi in another post- yep, he is the man...you've got a problem or question, he'll help.

If you get a free coffee mug, take advantage of the free coffee on the flight line....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if at first you don't succeed, suck a lemon
crazy.gif

Apparently my attempt to use the quote to answer back a post failed. Now I know one way not do do that. Guess I'll give it another go. Another time perhaps. If it doesn't involve too much explaination, would anybody care to give a shot at telling me how to do a post?

Anyway thanks a heep for your answers! Guess I'll get a dorm room first then find a roomie or not and move into town.

I'll get the writtens done there too, someone mentioned that with the writtens done beforehand you won't be eating into any of your limited study time for ground.

I'll be sure to look up the guy's you mentioned.

I think that doing the training in the twin combined with your other intruction may be more expensive but can kill two stones with one bird! I don't mind spending the extra dough to accomplish dual goals.

Free coffee with free coffee mug?! Where do I sign up
grin.gif

Thanks to all of you for your time, I really appreciated it.

As far as a smoking instructor, I know of only 2 or 3 instructors (out of nearly 100) that smoke (when sober
smirk.gif
). Now on the weekends at the bar, different story...

Don't bother with your writtens. You'll do the groundschools here and you'll be well prepared. There is no advantage to doing them ahead of time and you'll probably get lower scores by cramming.

Good Luck...you'll enjoy this place. I have ne regrets!

Chunk

Thanks Chunk, good to know. I'll just wait on the writtens I guess.
As for the smoking CFI(quick, somebody put him out!
smirk.gif
) it's not that big a deal but I know when I was doing my PPL, I would sometimes get a CFI that would have to suck up that one more butt seconds before departure and it stunk
mad.gif
I would rather not deal with that in the cockpit. In a bar, that's a different story, party on!

Back