Question for Delta Airline Pilots

I had a CA tell me all about the crew meal salads. I will say I have stopped eating them too. Not like they were particularly interesting......a bunch of leaves, 2 cherry tomatoes, and all the same vinaigrette every time. Subway is kind of a staple of military bases, on mine it is either that, Wendy's (barf) or the chow hall. So if I need a quick lunch, I will occasionally get a 6 inch. The only veggies that touch my toasted meats and cheese are banana peppers and jalapeños. I do live dangerously and get the red onions too I guess. Way too many outbreaks that have touched places like subway.

I’m telling you man, it’s always the lettuce! :)

Without supervision and work rules, laborers will poop in the fields, wipe their butts and continue harvesting lettuce to keep the quota up.

People think the UFCW and Cesar Chavez were about solely about workers rights, it was heavily about food safety as well.

I’m from the place where the food is grown, I know where the bodies are buried! ;)

*****11 hr flight*****

“Hey, I can’t wait to see you again. How about NOW for beer and gyoza?”

Dude. We just worked together. 11 hrs. I said GOOD DAY SIR :)

I don’t understand you international boys and the incessant and constant need to “hang out together.”

I did an 11:01 flight yesterday. Spent about 30 minutes with both pilots prior to pushback. Spent about 30 minutes with both pilots for taxi and takeoff. Spent about 3 hours with the captain (but was legit studying the FOM for about 2 hours of that time and other than a few weather deviations didn't say anything). Spent 3 hours with the RO. Talked about travel, captain's authority, and first generation immigrants for about an hour and then didn't really say much the next few hours). Spent 3 hours on break in the back. Finished Quarterback on Netflix and a few episodes of Clone Wars (getting caught up so I can watch Ahsoka). Spent 45 minutes with the RO and CA dodging thunderstorms on the way in to SYD. Spent 15 minutes sitting with them at the gate breathing "safe" fumes from the insecticide they spray inside the plane after landing. Walked through customs/immigration by myself (because my passport doesn't scan down here so I go to the special person line). Spent 20 minutes with the whole crew on the bus to the hotel. Was asked if I wanted to go out and get food, and declined, but mostly because I was tired and wanted to go to sleep, not because I couldn't find a way to be social enough to spend another hour with people.
Oooh. Thank you.

There are locations pretty much everywhere in Japan. Because MSG kills me, it's one of my "safe" go tos over there. You also need to grab eel next time you are in Narita. And stay away from the Jet Lag club. Nothing good happens there!

With the two captain two FO arrangements, I only see the other crew takeoff, landing and during the swap.

And my thoughts are sometimes “Lucky. His copilot seems normal”

I didn’t know the other copilot was a fairly “well discussed” pilot until we got on the bus to the hotel. But I didn’t want to spend my layover talking shop so I hopped on the train and headed north to do some black guy stuff.

Last edited:
I did an 11:01 flight yesterday. Spent about 30 minutes with both pilots prior to pushback. Spent about 30 minutes with both pilots for taxi and takeoff. Spent about 3 hours with the captain (but was legit studying the FOM for about 2 hours of that time and other than a few weather deviations didn't say anything). Spent 3 hours with the RO. Talked about travel, captain's authority, and first generation immigrants for about an hour and then didn't really say much the next few hours). Spent 3 hours on break in the back. Finished Quarterback on Netflix and a few episodes of Clone Wars (getting caught up so I can watch Ahsoka). Spent 45 minutes with the RO and CA dodging thunderstorms on the way in to SYD. Spent 15 minutes sitting with them at the gate breathing "safe" fumes from the insecticide they spray inside the plane after landing. Walked through customs/immigration by myself (because my passport doesn't scan down here so I go to the special person line). Spent 20 minutes with the whole crew on the bus to the hotel. Was asked if I wanted to go out and get food, and declined, but mostly because I was tired and wanted to go to sleep, not because I couldn't find a way to be social enough to spend another hour with people.
My next rotation has a 16 hour flight from Florida to Korea. That one will get broken up with two breaks I hope.

There are locations pretty much everywhere in Japan. Because MSG kills me, it's one of my "safe" go tos over there. You also need to grab eel next time you are in Narita. And stay away from the Jet Lag club. Nothing good happens there!
Haha. I was showed where it was. That's about it. That and Barge Inn.

I’m telling you man, it’s always the lettuce! :)

Without supervision and work rules, laborers will poop in the fields, wipe their butts and continue harvesting lettuce to keep the quota up.

People think the UFCW and Cesar Chavez were about solely about workers rights, it was heavily about food safety as well.

I’m from the place where the food is grown, I know where the bodies are buried! ;)
Someone, ahem, will be along soon to offer opinions about hygienic farming techniques.

IMG_2216.jpeg

I don't really care either way, but I'll say that where I come from, it was normal to spend all day briefing/flying/debriefing together, and then doing a 5 minute hotel room turn back to the lobby and hit the strip immediately for the night. Now, if the other guy/gal is a weirdo, obviously I'm not trying to hang out anymore. But if it's a cool CA, I'm down to go hang for a bit, at least if there is a decent layover and we have the time. I've found in this career that you learn a lot, professionally speaking, over a beer or two and letting the old guys tell stories or offer their advice. Night 2 or 3 of a trip, yeah, its probably me time.

How was it?

I had a Big Mac in Tokyo out of half-drunken curiosity once and it was symmetrical, perfectly seasoned, delicately crafted and there is no way Skyler and Kayleigh-Brianna is going to be able to replicate that here in the US.
"Doburu cheeseburger setto, no pickuru, fanta grape." Looked exactly like the picture. Every time.

With a McDonald's, a Yoshinoya, and a Lawson Station right across the street from my apartment in Okinawa I had way too much of all 3 over 4 years....

I avoid uncooked veggies/fruits when in other countries. The only time my stomach said what were you thinking was trying some Ceviche in Lima. I prayed to that porcelain God all evening. Cooked meats all the way.

I would sit down with just about anyone after just about any length of time spent flying if the ultimate destination was gyoza and beer. Or soup dumplings.

Just don’t harsh my mellow by talking about planes.

I flew a trip with this dude I DETESTED one time when I was an FO, he was actually on my no fly list but I picked it up out of premium as it was a great trip with a 24hr SAN overnight, I figured I could tough it out for essentially 3 days. When we got to SAN I invited him to go get tacos with me and it was actually pleasant. Lots of people have polar opposite personalities at work.

I don't really care either way, but I'll say that where I come from, it was normal to spend all day briefing/flying/debriefing together, and then doing a 5 minute hotel room turn back to the lobby and hit the strip immediately for the night. Now, if the other guy/gal is a weirdo, obviously I'm not trying to hang out anymore. But if it's a cool CA, I'm down to go hang for a bit, at least if there is a decent layover and we have the time. I've found in this career that you learn a lot, professionally speaking, over a beer or two and letting the old guys tell stories or offer their advice. Night 2 or 3 of a trip, yeah, its probably me time.
I'll make some generalizations, correct me if I am wrong. When you used to spend all day with someone and then quick turn to the strip, yall were likely pretty close in age, similar stages in family life, shared a lot in common and we're dealing with very similar issues at the time. Those issues may be a deployment or stationed somewhere you may or may not like?
I'd also say that when I was at the regionals there was much more of a bond to hang out after work for like reasons, even with FAs because a lot of the time they were working alone, and so we were much more of a crew rather than "front end" "back end" crew.
When I came to the majors, I was flying with guys who were double my age, had been through hell and back in their career, were maybe on to their 2nd/3rd wife and likely grandparents. Its a different dynamic, and I am not suggesting that you cant share a nice round at a bar with them and have a great time, learn a lot, etc...its just that the "fit" isnt as easy.
As the Majors get a lot younger, that fit is becoming easier again, but my desire to spend time at a bar after work paying for overpriced beers is certainly waning. Most of the overnight time now is trying to find something relatively healthy to eat, work out (not for vanity at this point but just to continue living), and trying to get some sleep. Mix in a nice quiet walk/hike is a cherry on top. I do enjoy quiet time to myself and my thoughts, and generally doing whatever the F I want to without coordinator a time or asking for input :) .
These are generalities and I am not always a stick in the mud, I do enjoy some of the other things on occasion, but isnt the norm anymore.

All very valid points, and you’re right, it isn’t an apples to apples comparison

Back