Question for 757/767 frieght pilots

[ QUOTE ]
If the 777 wasn't designed to be a freighter it makes me wonder why Boeing discontinued the MD-11. The three holers are popular freighters. Boeing could have sold the MD-11 as a freighter only, thus not competing with the 777 in the pax market. The MD-11 probably would have been a better choice (over the 767) for the tanker contract that the DOD just cancelled. Boeing probably could have sold another couple of hundred MD-11 airframes in these two markets alone over the past/next five years. I'd still like to see the 744 in UPS' fleet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The MD11 was cancelled due to lack of orders and it would, in theory, take orders away from the 747 or 777. At the end though, Lufthansa wanted to exercise its option for additional MD11's, but by that time it was tooooo late.

The 767 for the tanker program is a good option for both the Airforce & for Boeing. The MD11, I think would have been a little big for a tanker.

I remember when Delta got there MD-11's. It was going to be the next great long hauler. Well they found out real fast that it didnt have the range for the intl trips they wanted to use it one. For the Atlanta-Tokyo flight they wound up putting an extra full cell/tank in the cargo hold. World Airways bought 2 of Delta's MD-11's.

I do spot around MHT but not too often. Mostly on weekends when the weather is good. My one and only A-net photo link is below...

FDX, UPS, and ABX / DHL have more than one hub.

FDX uses MEM for the main sorting facility, but has regional hubs all over the place (i.e. OAK, LAX, ANC, DAL, etc).

UPS, at least back in my day, had regional hubs in PHL, DFW, OAK, CAE, and ONT amongst others (can't remember the one near Chicago).

ABX / DHL use the ILM hub for almost everything, but still run a small sort in FAT for the west coast packages.

You'll notice FDX leaves more aircraft sitting around during the day for a variety of reasons. Yes, they have more volume therefore more aircraft, but I believe UPS uses rail more significantly than FDX. Add to it that FDX literally bought the contract to haul the U.S. Mail a couple of years ago, and that explains all the flying purple people eaters.

Hey L1011, is that Natalie Portman?

The one near Chicago is RFD, Rockford, IL

OAK has never been a hub for UPS, though there are a fair amount of flights out of their.

UPS also has a small day hub (sort) in Des Moines, IA (DSM)

[ QUOTE ]
OAK has never been a hub for UPS, though there are a fair amount of flights out of their.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my bad, wrong O. But hey, 4 airplanes can make a hub. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You'll notice FDX leaves more aircraft sitting around during the day for a variety of reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Western part of MEM is COVERED in FDX during the day. It's a sight to see. I think I might get a "flat tire" on the overpass with my digital tomorrow......

Is BDL considered a UPS sort facility? I know there are all kinds of flights going in there (i.e. 757s to ALB, PVD, EWR). Those must be fun to fly.

They built a sort facility at BDL but it's never been much of an operation. Supposedly, it was going to be the northeast sort to relieve PHL, but I don't think it's every really been needed. There used to be quite a few flights out of there during peak (around X-mas) but other than that, I don't think it's all that big a deal. PHL, on the other hand, has quite a few flights.

Back