Question about radio communications

Well, for lack of anything better to do, I'm going to beat a dead horse.

[ QUOTE ]
but then again you shouldnt be calling out the 45 unless your relatively close to the airport anyways..

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like you might be one of those people who doesn't make any radio calls until you are right on the 45 about 4 seconds from turning downwind. My point has NOTHING to do with knowing the layout of the airport. You could be 5 miles out on a long 45, or 1/2 mile out on a 45. Which is it?

[ QUOTE ]
Thats why they make terminal charts.. most often they are charted visual checkpoints noted by a FLAG and the name of the checkpoint ie: city hall, etc. Maybe you should take a closer look at your map, especially if your unfamilar with the area!.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, give me a little more credit than that. My god, I'm not a complete mope. I understand what the little flags mean...my point was that some pilots seem to call over landmarks known to locals.

[ QUOTE ]
First off if they are turning downwind from x-wind you should read your AFD so you roughly know where he is and if they entered midfield for the downwind then they obviously didnt enter on the 45 correctly, either way again if you dont know which side the pattern he is on then maybe you should read your AFD (should state if left or right traffic is standard for airport) and you should have a idea where the 45 is in relation to the pattern being used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you completely and totally missed my point. It has nothing to do with knowing the layout of the damn airport- in fact, you could not know one single thing about the layout of the airport and it wouldn't make any difference in regards to what I am trying to say here. "Turning downwind" makes people think of the crosswind-downwind turn, however everyone seems to also say it when they enter on the 45. Not a big deal if you caught all of their previous radio calls (if they made any), but its confusing to a new student soloing.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Im going to have to agree with everyone else on this one.. its proper procedure to repeat the airport again in case someone only caught half the transmission dont want to scare someone on final Plus its recommened in the AIM which you should take seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice that I said, "...unless theres a real danger of confusion of airports..." The airport I fly out of is one of only two on the freq. Therefore, its not a huge deal...and the remark I made about the airport name driving me nuts- was half joking because of the number of times they say the airport name in one transmission (3).

Want some real fun? Get on 122.8 and say "Aircraft on final, go around", and see how many airplanes in different counties respond.

Kidding.

Comm is a pet peeve of mine. Make it C3 comm: Clear/Concise/Correct. Think before you speak, and listen up before you speak; there's half the comm jamm battle on the UNICOM freqs.

Clear: I want to choke the idiots that key the mike and start with , uh, uh, Cessna, uh,.....

Concise: Say what you need to and nothing more. Jabbering on about BS wastes tie on the airwaves.

Correct: In hand with the previous two, say the correct calls.

Since we were talking patterns at the airport, I've seen many airports where guys will get mad if someone does a straight-in. There's not a darn thing wrong with a straight-in, and unless restricted for some reason (noise-abatement), it's a perfectly safe method of recovery to the airfield, probably more so than the pattern. Just make the C3 comm when doing it, and you'll be alright.

Speaking of comm. Keep heads up in the pattern. Many uncontrolled airports have those that fly in without comms. Perfectly legal to be there, just all need to see and avoid.

[ QUOTE ]
Heck yeah. Almost everything in the area is 122.7 or 122.8 and that is a LOT of airports. I can't believe sometimes how far away some of the transmissions are coming from that I can pick up and hear, even at pattern altitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree. I've often been flying around my airport and I hear stuff from airports that are 75 miles away!

From what I have read, (not personal experience, so get extra reassurance), when switching to a different controller you have to use the full tail number again.

Kostcoguy

[ QUOTE ]
On an uncluttered freq I'll expand my communications a bit. But, on a busy freq, it's key words, not phrases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this point. It's all relative to the current comm chatter and area traffic. I fly in Michigan where it seems almost every little community has an airport (more than most other states) and most are uncontrolled. Therefore many are on the same freq. If there is noone around say at 1 in the morning I will use the appropriate call and likewise if I'm at an airport where there is a fly in going on I give extremely concise but short location reports. Personally I tend to throw the airport on both ends of my comm to make sure that not all of my comm was "stepped on". I tend to believe that the short 2 syllable "La-peer" at the end does much more good than harm.

I fly out of an uncontrolled field. There is this old guy who owns a Mooney who is based out of there. He NEVER calls out his tail number, it's always just "Mooney". There could be 4 other Mooneys in the pattern and he is still just "Mooney".

Quite weird and annoying!

Mahesh

What annoys me is that crop dusters don't have radios. I know they aren't required, but that needs to be changed. For instance, last week, I am in the pattern at an uncontrolled field, and had been announcing my position. Well, just after turning final, I announced "on final 13...," about 100 feet to go, a crop duster pulls right out on the runway. I was landing 31. He starts his takeoff roll with me on final. I couldn't believe this, what a chump. I wanted to play chicken, even though he weighs more with some nasty chemical, but it would have still been fun to scare him a little bit. I did a go around, but something needs to be done about this before there anymore accidents.

[ QUOTE ]
I fly out of an uncontrolled field. There is this old guy who owns a Mooney who is based out of there. He NEVER calls out his tail number, it's always just "Mooney". There could be 4 other Mooneys in the pattern and he is still just "Mooney".

[/ QUOTE ]

You just made me remember something incredibly stupid that I heard! I was listening in on the CTAF at the uncontrolled field down the road from me while I was doing some landscaping (yes, I need to get a life). A guy called in 10 miles out & called himself "Ghostrider". OH MY LORD. He continued to call 5 miles out, on the 45, on downwind, base, final...all as Ghostrider.
Wow to that. I wanted to take my transceiver and reply back to his 5 mile call "That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full."
grin.gif

Sarah

[ QUOTE ]
I once heard a guy in a 172 end all his calls with "heavy"....what a dork...

[/ QUOTE ]

He should've used "light".

[ QUOTE ]
A guy called in 10 miles out & called himself "Ghostrider". OH MY LORD. He continued to call 5 miles out, on the 45, on downwind, base, final...all as Ghostrider.
Wow to that. I wanted to take my transceiver and reply back to his 5 mile call "That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full."
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, God, not one of those guys. There's someone like that at the FBO I fly out of. He will throw lines from that movie out all the time.

Back