Push back with ¨¨trust Reverse¨¨

LOL. Chuck Norris flies slow flight so slow the ASI registers Vne.

Have done powerbacks once or twice at TWA in 727's.

The gospell rule was never...ever...touch the brakes during a powerback.

Eastern pioneered this in the early 80s, I believe.

It was policy at Eastern that only mechanics were allowed to push back airplanes. Frank Borman and Eastern management were in a heated labor dispute with the IAM. Borman was going to show Charlie Bryan and his boys that they weren't needed. Eastern then started to power back out of the gates. I heard that they even did it with a 757, but I don't know if I believe that. I know it was done with the DC-9 and 727.

I've also heard of quite a few cases of guys putting the plane on its tail by touching the brakes during a power back.

I was once aboard an Eastern 75 that did it.

This is something that has got me thinking a long time ago.
Given the fact that Im not a pilot (Medical student) Please excuse my ignorance.
I fly a lot to the states Via DFW (AA). And around 3 years ago there was a time when on various ocations as I was waiting on my plane for our push back and start up I glanced over the window to the plane next to me and I got to see planes MD-80´s to be specific backing up on trust reverse, then they would aline themselves with the taxiway and keep taxing as normal.
I thought It was really cool seeing how it happened, since I dont get to see big airliners backing up by themselves a lot.
I was wondering if this is a common practice anywhere else?? I have to say I have not seen it anywhere else done and it was the last time I saw it done to (3 years ago). Do any of you guys get to use trust reverse on the ground for taxing purpuses??'..
;)

When I worked for AA at KDSM, the only aircraft authorized for a power back was the F-100. It wasn't the safest thing in the world as once you get going backward, you can't just slam on the brakes if you need to stop quick.

Michael

There is a very good chance the airplane would "sit" on its tail.

Hey, thanks for answering the question!

Seriously?

Stop.

Think about it for a few minutes.

Get back to us.

-mini

First of all, let me apologize for having the simple ordacity to ask a question on a message board of all things.

Sorry, that the only thing I drive has a reciprocating engine and not turbines. I feel like scum now. Thanks.

But, if it makes you feel better, I service/repair turbine engines at work! Score for me!

It sure can, and I've done it. Bar-Ten in the Grand Canon, with a full load of pax. Slide the windows down and stick your head out. You can see behind you just fine, and it takes very little power.

We had to do it @ monument valley also when there were too many A/C @ the end.

Now your just showing off... :sarcasm:

I might admit to the same, but I need my next flying job waiting for me the next day.

Fo4ever's pimp, bro.

His Mad Dog has spinnerz on the mains.

Captain Skipperlicious.

The 727's can easily do them but my company has prohibited them due to engine wear and the possiblity of putting it on its tail if done wrong.

Saabs and E-110's backup well too

Fo4ever's pimp, bro.

His Mad Dog has spinnerz on the mains.

Captain Skipperlicious.

Lovely. Now I have to put the Jesus bobblehead away.

What am I gonna do?

I don't taxi slow, I'm crusin'... you should see my hydraulics.

Chatter, Chatter.

Back