Push back with ¨¨trust Reverse¨¨

I think American still does power-backs in Dallas. I would guess it's because of the convex shape of the terminal allows adequate spacing between the aircraft and there are no alleyways (ie: there isn't an airplane behind the one powering back that you might roll into), and only the MD-80 fleet is authorized due to the tail mounted engines. I'm pretty sure it's always strictly verboten in aircraft with engines mounted on the bottom of the wings. Too easy to suck FOD into the motor. Also, we used to do it with the ATR's in Miami. The big deal is to make sure both pilots do NOT have thier feet on the brakes. You had to stop the rolling backwards with power instead. Using the brakes could cause the plane to tip over on it's tail....

Taken care of above, but:

American absolutely does not push under their own power at DFW. "FUEL SMART" ring a bell?

I didn't know the ERJ was approved anywhere for it. They seem to be very effective...but lord knows it's been months since I've even used them! yeah yeah...i open them..no need to spool em.

Isn't the reason they also move forward first is a fail safe that does not allow the thrust reversers to come out until the wheels are moving forward? I was told this as a kid, you know prevent the thrust reverse to deploy before the landing roll? Pardon my ignorance I still only fly uncased fans.
I remember in the 80's and 90's riding in the old DC-9, 727 and doing power push backs, pretty cool.

Isn't the reason they also move forward first is a fail safe that does not allow the thrust reversers to come out until the wheels are moving forward? I was told this as a kid, you know prevent the thrust reverse to deploy before the landing roll? Pardon my ignorance I still only fly uncased fans.
I remember in the 80's and 90's riding in the old DC-9, 727 and doing power push backs, pretty cool.

nope.

Forward

Nick said:
Forward thrust was applied to get the plane off of the flat spots on the tires, and then into reverse

Read a story a few years ago about an incident at an airport in Australia. Seems there was a prohibition at a certain airport against powerbacks and the tug was broken. The captain made a PA telling the paxs that it would be several hours for a part to be flown in, or that they could get out and push the plane back away from the terminal. Needless to say, several of the male passengers got out and pushed the plane back. Gotta love them Aussies!

Eastern pioneered this in the early 80s, I believe.

It was policy at Eastern that only mechanics were allowed to push back airplanes. Frank Borman and Eastern management were in a heated labor dispute with the IAM. Borman was going to show Charlie Bryan and his boys that they weren't needed. Eastern then started to power back out of the gates. I heard that they even did it with a 757, but I don't know if I believe that. I know it was done with the DC-9 and 727.

I've also heard of quite a few cases of guys putting the plane on its tail by touching the brakes during a power back.

Dash 8 could definitely do it so the twotter could probably do it. Its against CFM and aircraft limitations here though.

Allegedly the Twin Otter can do it, but I've never seen it....

It sure can, and I've done it. Bar-Ten in the Grand Canon, with a full load of pax. Slide the windows down and stick your head out. You can see behind you just fine, and it takes very little power.

We had to do it @ monument valley also when there were too many A/C @ the end.

It does a nice three point turn.

TWA trained to do power backs in all models of the DC-9, including the -80 series.

An "aircraft?" Yes, easily. I've done it many times. ;)

I've done it in a C172. The winds aloft were somewhere around 30 or 40 and my airspeed was indicating "P". Look at a 172's ASI and look for the "P" to see what I mean.

Back