Pure Speculation.

• Thread starter Deleted member 27505
  • Start date
I've also never seen the A320, 737, 757 or E175 drop out of the sky when the power comes back in the flare.

But I'm also a terrible pilot.
Nose drops when the thrust is pulled because the engines are mounted below the CG, kid!

Bah! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Oh I've been to the "Big Brown Desk(tm)", trust me, "Well, he's the captain!" doesn't account for jack when you're sitting there with your union reps, the chief pilot and your airlines POI from the FAA CMO.

Suffice to say, if you've got a PIC type, the FAA sees "captain's authority" in an entirely different light when he screws up.
PIC type or not, I've always told people, violations come in two's. There's no more "FO was flying, he screwed up. Well why'd you let me get it that far outta shape, Cappy?" You're both SOL if something/someone gets broke/bent. :)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324591204579035231353396714.html

August 26,2013

Excerpt:
The investigation is further complicated by the fact that both the captain and first officer filed reports about what happened under the airline's nonpunitive, voluntary safety-reporting system, according to people familiar with the details. Specifics from such reports normally are off limits to federal air-safety officials and particularly regulators.

Safety reporting systems now hamper investigations?

Maybe I always jumpseat on flights amazing pilots who, you know, continue to fly the airplane when they make thrust changes :)
Indeed, but in proper JC fashion, you're supposed to start railing against 121 pilots at this point.

Let's assume for a moment that this is absolutely true - the CA took over and/or fought for control with the FO on a landing that probably would have been okay. What is the FO's liability here? If the FO was on a stabilized approach and the captain freaked and messed it up...can the FO get in trouble?

Let's assume for a moment that this is absolutely true - the CA took over and/or fought for control with the FO on a landing that probably would have been okay. What is the FO's liability here? If the FO was on a stabilized approach and the captain freaked and messed it up...can the FO get in trouble?
My company has had at least two incidents, one resulting in an accident, where the CA tried to salvage the landing. In both instances the CA was fired, I think in one the FO was fired too (they were on probation as well, complicating things) but the other one the FO kept saying go around and they did not have anything happen to them as far as the company goes.

I don't think this is a case where they were stabilized and the CA freaked, it appears more like they were high and the CA tried to salvage the landing. Speaks volumes about the lack of respect for one another in that cockpit. That is more something that I would expect to happen at a commuter airline, not a major carrier with two experienced people up front.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a case where they were stabilized and the CA freaked, it appears more like they were high and the CA tried to salvage the landing. Speaks volumes about the lack of respect for one another in that cockpit. That is more something that I would expect to happen at a commuter airline, not a major carrier with two experienced people up front.
At a previous employer, I was on probation, I got too high, too hot, and the Captain said "my controls". I was not happy with myself, but I was even less happy that I didn't get to fix my own mistakes.

(We went around anyway.)

I sure hope not.
My info is that there was no call for the controls by the PM. She simply made a last minute (second) grab with application of forward pressure on the yoke. The problem developed as the FO felt additional downward pressure, not knowing this pressure was being applied by the PM. So, reckoning the pressure was coming from the plane, he applied more back pressure. Now the pilots were fighting. When he realized that the PM captain had taken the controls, the FO released his pressure. The sudden release of the FO's back-pressure combined with the captain's excessive forward pressure sent the nose lurching downward onto the runway. Ouch. Silly rabbit captain... Tricks are for kids.

But I'm also a terrible pilot.
charles-barkley-savage-thumbcopy.jpg

I sure hope not.
My info is that there was no call for the controls by the PM. She simply made a last minute (second) grab with application of forward pressure on the yoke. The problem developed as the FO felt additional downward pressure, not knowing this pressure was being applied by the PM. So, reckoning the pressure was coming from the plane, he applied more back pressure. Now the pilots were fighting. When he realized that the PM captain had taken the controls, the FO released his pressure. The sudden release of the FO's back-pressure combined with the captain's excessive forward pressure sent the nose lurching downward onto the runway. Ouch. Silly rabbit captain... Tricks are for kids.

That's bush league!

Back