PUBNAT Applications

maxshuty

Hello,

What are the requirements for applying for one of the PUBNAT Applications??

Does anyone know when the next set of Applications will be available?

Where can I find these listings? Is this the proper site: http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/a9TD03.asp
Or should I be searching elsewhere? What should I be searching for? "PUBNAT"?

And lastly there is a ATC School 1.5 hours from me, what are the benefits of going to this school instead of applying directly??

I might be a bit confused on what to do here so any help is greatly appreciated!

-Thank you!!

yes you can find pubnats on usajobs. there will be another one in a month or so. you get a better chance at being picked up with a cti degree but lots are getting picked up without one. its taking about a year from application to academy. get ready for a wait

Hello,

What are the requirements for applying for one of the PUBNAT Applications??

4 year college degree or 3 years of progressive work experience. Progressive meaning show that you have held positions with higher responsibility. No ATC/Aviation experience is needed but would help your chances IMO.

Does anyone know when the next set of Applications will be available?

I hear from my dad (Air Traffic Manager) that we could see 2 more PUBNATS by end of March.

Where can I find these listings? Is this the proper site: http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/a9TD03.asp
Or should I be searching elsewhere? What should I be searching for? "PUBNAT"?

Look for PUBNAT which will be general public hiring. CTI and VRA do not apply to the general public.

Like the previous poster said, the wait is long. My dad has 6 slated for his facility and they all waited about 10 months (average) from the time they applied to getting a class in OKC.

So once I apply will I know anything about whats going on? For example will they say "You've got a job but your wait is 12 months" etc?

Also CMS3185 I thought you could basically apply with no experience or college? I'm currently taking generals in college but I have no other work experience (other than working at my local airport gasing up jets, etc. lol). The only other thing I could think of is that I have my Private Pilots license...

So once I apply will I know anything about whats going on? For example will they say "You've got a job but your wait is 12 months" etc? nope, you could get disqualified as a candidate at any point in the process. I wouldnt consider yourself employed untill you get a firm offer letter (meaning you get a start date at okc, with instructions of what to do next)

Also CMS3185 I thought you could basically apply with no experience or college? I'm currently taking generals in college but I have no other work experience (other than working at my local airport gasing up jets, etc. lol). The only other thing I could think of is that I have my Private Pilots license...

having flown helps very little in being a controller. controller workload and priorities are very different than pilots workload and priorities. Id say about the only way it can help you is that you have knowledge of phraseology, but (most)everything you need to know will be taught to you at the academy, and subsequently, your facility. You do not need any prior ATC experience, or even aviation related job background. the FAA does all the training and will teach you what you need to know.
Good luck. and remember, your training doesnt end at the academy, it only begins. DONT FORGET THAT.

How long is the training program in OKC

For OTS:

Tower - 25 Days of Basics, 37 Days of Terminal Training.
TRACON - 25 Days of Basics, 9 Dyas of Intro to Radar Control, 18 Days of Tracon Training.
En Route - 25 Days of Basics, 53 Days of En Route Training.

(Those are all days you will work. weekends/holidays are not included in those numbers)

So once I apply will I know anything about whats going on? For example will they say "You've got a job but your wait is 12 months" etc?

Once you apply, you most likely will not hear anything for several months. The next step involves getting selected to take the AT-SAT. All information on your application status, and updates to the process, will be posted to your FAA ASAP page (this is the page you submit your application).

No, you do not have to have aviation experience to apply, nor have college credits. Anyone can apply, but to ensure/better your chances of getting selected to continue the process, you really need to show progressive work experience. Positions which show no increasing level of responsibility will hinder your selection. There are so many qualified applicants out there right now; system is flooded with them. They are going to weed out the applications with less than desirable work experience. Many applicants right now have solid work experience AND a bachelors degree...at least the handful of people I met taking the AT-SAT did and the guys joining the facility with my dad all have bachelors degrees..a few pilot too.

My dad said they get a lot of applicants who have no college (or very little...less than 2 semesters) and work experience ranging from cashiers, gas station attendants, retail sales...a majority of these candidates are not getting selected to take the AT-SAT right now. A PPL will help and keep taking classes.

Good luck. If you have any other questions, feel free to throw them out there.

I just visited MCTC ATC Training college and the guy I talked to said that students who take that program get far higher priority over everyone else as far as getting chosen to go to Training in OKC. I figure this is true, right? What benefits will I have by taking this training program for a year?

As I understand it from talking with current ATCers, you'll go into OKC knowing more of the basics than everyone off the street, so that could help to ensure you pass all the tests. If you are a quick learner and a good studier, I would say don't waste your time or money on the schooling, you'll get paid to learn it in OKC and will just have to go through it once, instead of hearing it all twice!

As I understand it from talking with current ATCers, you'll go into OKC knowing more of the basics than everyone off the street, so that could help to ensure you pass all the tests. If you are a quick learner and a good studier, I would say don't waste your time or money on the schooling, you'll get paid to learn it in OKC and will just have to go through it once, instead of hearing it all twice!

you skip basics if your a CTI grad. so i hope you know more than the OTS

Back