PSP air museum / F-117 stuff

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
has some way cool artifacts and aircraft on display, including F-117A Nighthawk stealth 85-0833 “Black Devil”.

Cool bird. My sig is still there.

IMG_5503.jpeg
IMG_5501.jpeg
IMG_5500.jpeg

That's cool. I had a seasons pass there when I had a condo in PSP sitting reserve in ONT. Great museum. I like how much of it is still flyable. The F117 exhibit wasn't there then.

has some way cool artifacts and aircraft on display, including F-117A Nighthawk stealth 85-0833 “Black Devil”.

Cool bird.

View attachment 78365View attachment 78366View attachment 78367
Don't the F-117s show up to the museums naked (that means no paint perverts)? What did they paint it with when it was being prepared for display? I might have a tiny bit of experience doing these sorts of things, I once replaced all of the hydraulic fluid in an F-5 nose strut with a piece of aluminum tubing.

That's cool. I had a seasons pass there when I had a condo in PSP sitting reserve in ONT. Great museum. I like how much of it is still flyable. The F117 exhibit wasn't there then.

The release of 117s to museums are a fairly recent thing. I think PSP was the first one to “complete’ theirs, more explanation on that below to @knot4u

Would you join the AF again to fly it?

I still remember it fairly well, can still get it operating as well as employ it as the weapons system it was designed as. Still have all my publications for it of all the unclassified stuff. Would have to sit in the cockpit just to fully remember again the flows that I used to run through with ease before, to still do it with ease. It’d be tough to go back to the USAF and the general BS that went with it, but it’d be tempting.

Don't the F-117s show up to the museums naked (that means no paint perverts)? What did they paint it with when it was being prepared for display? I might have a tiny bit of experience doing these sorts of things, I once replaced all of the hydraulic fluid in an F-5 nose strut with a piece of aluminum tubing.

Yes, and moreso than you think. The USAF strips many external airframe parts such as the nose, wing leading edges, aft exhaust bricks, and some other parts, as well as nearly all internals other than the cockpit and bomb bay, when they are sent to the museum. Additionally, the USAF sends exactly Zero publications, checklists, Mx manuals, or anything else of any written or electronic records with them; so a museum essentially receives an empty shell that is stripped of airframe components, and has to manufacture those components themselves in order to complete the airframe externally. The jet itself has had its wings sliced off, so when they are reassembled, the airframe is never-again flyable due to how they have to reattach them. The bare-metal aircraft has had all its RAM coating stripped off by the USAF, so the jets are just painted in a flat black paint of some sort.

This is essentially how the jet shows up, but is disassembled. This here is 85-0817 “Raven Beauty” over at Clinton-Sherman airport, and has been maybe 25% refurbished. A lot more work has to go into it. you can see all the missing airframe components that have to be manufactured. A lot of the wire bundles are cut and removed, but strangely, the cockpits are mostly complete; even still having some components that I thought for sure would have been removed…

IMG_4173.jpeg

IMG_4170.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4165.jpeg

IMG_4149.jpeg

IMG_4150.jpeg

Is this the same museum that displays Walt Disney’s Gulfstream I?
One and the same yes. though i didnt get a chance to see it.

Aircraft 0833, I have a grand total of 1 flight and 1.2 hours in it. i believe that was on a Mx check flight I did for our sister squadron, as 0833 was their jet.

Weird they put the old hornet fuel and engine gauges (I cant even remember the acronym for that old analog one) on the right side. Those exact gauges lived over next to my left knee, below the left DDI, in the A/A+/A++ and B. Classic Lockheed Martin……can say from experience flying the F-16 that they put everything from the hornet on the opposite side for some reason. Well maybe not the gear handle, but where is my flap switch Lockheed????

Either way, bunch of Hornet and early Viper stuff in that cockpit panel. I am now trying to remember if those were our early DDIs or maybe those from the C/D Viper (which i did not fly) instead?

Last edited:
What’s the difference between “F-117” and “F-117A?”

I know there were other variants proposed, “B,” “C,” “N,” and “X,” but I always wonder at what point in an model’s life do they need to start calling it “A.”

Interestingly, most of the other proposals seemed to revolve around reducing wing sweep, giving it a bigger wing, and/or embiggening the internal weapons storage.

Wow that’s really cool. I showed it to my wife and she asked me if that was the alien ship from the xfiles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember reading Skunk Works almost 30 years ago and being enthralled. Need to order another copy and revisit it.
Or, just go to a library. But since yer gettin' real-paid to push buttons in the correct order, just buy a new copy and support the disposable, consumer economy. Good fella! :)

What’s the difference between “F-117” and “F-117A?”

I know there were other variants proposed, “B,” “C,” “N,” and “X,” but I always wonder at what point in an model’s life do they need to start calling it “A.”

Interestingly, most of the other proposals seemed to revolve around reducing wing sweep, giving it a bigger wing, and/or embiggening the internal weapons storage.
The pilot of the "A" model had to know his alphabet song?

Back