PSA Poolies Q

TheOneMarine

Any of you guys in the pool, I know you had been recieving updates from HR at PSA. Are you guys still getting any updates or has it been a lost cause for you?

I'm in the pool and am totally out of the loop as the last update I recieved was lat July. Any news?

No news, sorry. Hell, I'm furloughed and am out of the loop. I just remembered you all getting emails with promises of class dates and all sorts of other goodies and wasn't sure if it was continuing. Things as usual are very quiet here.

Yeah I think we need to start some new rumors or something. I've heard one lately, but I am not going to be the guy that posts it. I'm sure most have heard all the rumors anyways. I do know that at least two people below me are no longer at PSA. So now it's only 74 furloughed. Woohoo :banghead:

Furloughed...I know there are several on the other forum that got offers at Mesaba and are leaving. I unfortunately interviewed there before I got on with PSA and did not get the offer. So I am waiting out recall quietly.

I had a chance to ineterview at XJ if I had wanted to. Honestly my biggest thing about XJ is there is a lot of doubt where things are going to be next year with the DAL/NWA deal. There are way too many regional carriers and this time next year I would be on the lower 200 pilots there and could as easily be on the street with the uncertainty over there. Itd be a calculated risk however it was one I was not willing to take. Let alone go sit reserve in a city in which I dont live, be on reserve for well over a year, and have a sub par pay rate. All to just have a flying job? Was not worth it for me.

Me too Señor Meyers. Im with you on this boat... also though, you and I are at the top of the furloughs, if I were at the very bottom of the furloughs, I might have a different outlook. I think that PSA is such a small pilot group, less than 800, i dont know the exact number, that i dunno how quickly all 74or79 furloughees will all be back flying... I hope something happens in this world and industry that would make us all go back soon though. In the mean time, lets all try to stay as positive as possible... think about the good things we have in life... the holidays are coming, spend time with family and friends and loved ones... oh and by the way, congress extended unemployment benefits hahaha
cheers everyone

In the mean time, lets all try to stay as positive as possible... think about the good things we have in life... the holidays are coming, spend time with family and friends and loved ones... oh and by the way, congress extended unemployment benefits hahaha
cheers everyone

Very true my man.... Although some of us arent collecting that damn unemployment due to it not being able to pay my bills. Although DC is a much harder job market I know.

Zap at some point I am sure we will meet up in good ole XNA and have some good bbq and drinks! :) That will be entertaining I am sure!

I think that PSA is such a small pilot group, less than 800, i dont know the exact number, that i dunno how quickly all 74or79 furloughees will all be back flying...

The December seniority list shows 462 pilots plus 76 on furlough for a total of 538. Of those 462 there are a bunch of are on long term medical or military leave. I'd bet there are only about 425 flying pilots right now.

That's almost 4.5 crews per plane. That's not exactly lean. It certainly isn't fat, but I've seen it as low as 3.7 before.

That's almost 4.5 crews per plane. That's not exactly lean. It certainly isn't fat, but I've seen it as low as 3.7 before.

The heck happened to all the planes? Are we really that small still at PSA?

Also, we still have a bunch of 87+ hour lines. A lot of these other places with furloughs have min lines and such. Who's fault is that, management for being selfish, or the union for not standing up to fight for it?

PSA has had a massive reduction in block hours.

Thats because PSA doesn't have the money to hand over $25 million to keep our flying! (Had to go there :D) Seriously though, what gives. While all the other legacies are ramping up to POSSIBLY hire, why is Airways still planning on shrinking? I know no one really knows this answer, it's more of a shot in the dark.

I haven't heard any news. I'd say the reserve FO's I run into are flying about 20-30 hours a month. They seemed to be flying more up until November. We're running somewhat thin, but there were times when all of us on reserve were blocking (not crediting) over 95 hours a month.

Upper management wants us to remain competitive, it's cheaper to have a lean workforce instead of keeping more pilots that are all just crediting right at guarantee. I don't think they're being selfish at all, I just think they're trying to save money. Also, many of the decisions that are made are driven directly by the folks in Tempe. Did you know our furlough announcements were made the same day mainline made theirs? Historically they have not come to the union to discuss things like furloughs, etc... Unfortunately this leaves the union with very little leverage when dealing with management, but hopefully things will begin to change with a new contract. Lots of the language in our current contract was sort of tossed when our former MEC made the last minute deal for the jets. Theoretically the new contract could be years down the road, I think both sides aren't willing to give up much.

As far as recalls are concerned, there just aren't many people leaving right now and it seems like we're able to cover our flying. There aren't too many companies hiring, and I'd be willing to bet when/if Airways starts to hire again lots of the people hired under the preferential hiring agreement will stay here or head somewhere else. I hope the recalls happen soon. I'm going to be an optimist and guess April 1st, historically things pick up around Spring Break.

I haven't heard any news. I'd say the reserve FO's I run into are flying about 20-30 hours a month. They seemed to be flying more up until November. We're running somewhat thin, but there were times when all of us on reserve were blocking (not crediting) over 95 hours a month.

Upper management wants us to remain competitive, it's cheaper to have a lean workforce instead of keeping more pilots that are all just crediting right at guarantee. I don't think they're being selfish at all, I just think they're trying to save money. Also, many of the decisions that are made are driven directly by the folks in Tempe. Did you know our furlough announcements were made the same day mainline made theirs? Historically they have not come to the union to discuss things like furloughs, etc... Unfortunately this leaves the union with very little leverage when dealing with management, but hopefully things will begin to change with a new contract. Lots of the language in our current contract was sort of tossed when our former MEC made the last minute deal for the jets. Theoretically the new contract could be years down the road, I think both sides aren't willing to give up much.

As far as recalls are concerned, there just aren't many people leaving right now and it seems like we're able to cover our flying. There aren't too many companies hiring, and I'd be willing to bet when/if Airways starts to hire again lots of the people hired under the preferential hiring agreement will stay here or head somewhere else. I hope the recalls happen soon. I'm going to be an optimist and guess April 1st, historically things pick up around Spring Break.

That was an informative post, thanks Jeremy :)

I hope the recalls happen soon. I'm going to be an optimist and guess April 1st, historically things pick up around Spring Break.

thanks for the info, I dont see my recall until Jan 2010 I'm way down on the list but hey!!! Hope is the only I have:sarcasm:

As far as I know two guys of my class (march) are not coming back

Back