PSA Dispatch Program - Coming Soon(TM)

0nus382

PSA has announced they are beginning an in-house Dispatch Certification program. Initially it will be open to only internal candidates, but eventually it will open to external. Program includes:

• Paid training
  • Accommodations provided
  • Training, Testing, and Licensing provided
  • Job offer on successful completion
Exact details are scarce, but this is something they have been working on for awhile. No official word yet on employment commitments for the applicants (as in you have to sign that you promise to stay X years), but it's expected.

Just an FYI for everyone. I personally have multiple people in my social circles who would consider Dispatching if it weren't for the cost of training, including living arrangements and accommodations in a different state. This program should help eliminate both of those considerable hurdles.

PSA has announced they are beginning an in-house Dispatch Certification program. Initially it will be open to only internal candidates, but eventually it will open to external. Program includes:

• Paid training
  • Accommodations provided
  • Training, Testing, and Licensing provided
  • Job offer on successful completion
Exact details are scarce, but this is something they have been working on for awhile. No official word yet on employment commitments for the applicants (as in you have to sign that you promise to stay X years), but it's expected.

Just an FYI for everyone. I personally have multiple people in my social circles who would consider Dispatching if it weren't for the cost of training, including living arrangements and accommodations in a different state. This program should help eliminate both of those considerable hurdles.
Similar to what Republic is now doing. I wonder how many other regionals will follow suit.

Yup! Although the difference so far appears to be in accommodation. PSA is planning to offer it as part of their program, whereas I think the thread on Republic’s said they do not include it?

I'd like to try this. Ive completed the 200 hours class time, passed the adx, but blew the practical. I couldnt produce a flight plan within 3 hours because the school taught using high altitude charts, but the examiner gave me a super short route that didnt use the high altitude charts. The schools should be teaching to the test, and the examiners should be testing to the school curriculums. I'd do the Republic indoc, ive got family by IND. But I'd rather go with PSA because they are closer to my home. Im good staying at any DAY hotel that isnt the knights inn on poe avenue.

An important note about this program.

This is offered (currently) only to PSA employees. It does not yet include externals, even employees of other wholly owned.
If the company cannot fill a class with internals, they will open up to people in the Dayton area. The logic is if local people are brought in they will be less likely to move to a different company after the contracted commitment expires.

What is implied but hasn't been said: they aren't providing hotels to anybody. The only PSA employees that make less than dispatchers are crew schedulers and maybe stores clerks.

They do need a class of 7 or 8 to have the class, and are shooting for October. That timeline of course is very subject to change.

HARD disagree on this. The DE has this little thing called the PTS that he/she has to follow. The DE is there to test your knowledge, not on what the school taught you.
Welp, my knowledge was what the school taught me. I blew the test because I was not prepared for the scenario given to me. That's not my instructors nor my examiners fault, its my own. The practical test should utilize modern flight planning software, since nobody plans on paper out there in the field.

An important note about this program.

This is offered (currently) only to PSA employees. It does not yet include externals, even employees of other wholly owned.
If the company cannot fill a class with internals, they will open up to people in the Dayton area. The logic is if local people are brought in they will be less likely to move to a different company after the contracted commitment expires.

What is implied but hasn't been said: they aren't providing hotels to anybody. The only PSA employees that make less than dispatchers are crew schedulers and maybe stores clerks.

They do need a class of 7 or 8 to have the class, and are shooting for October. That timeline of course is very subject to change.
So, if I were to take a job as parts clerk at CAK, I could be considered for this program?

Welp, my knowledge was what the school taught me. I blew the test because I was not prepared for the scenario given to me. That's not my instructors nor my examiners fault, its my own. The practical test should utilize modern flight planning software, since nobody plans on paper out there in the field.

Your attitude is spot on for taking responsibility on the failure but some other things stand out. These tests follow standards that test fundamentals and application of knowledge. Even pilots taking practical tests nowadays will not be saved by modern tech like EFBs, glass panels, or autopilot when the DPE strikes down with ACS/PTS requirements from Big FAA.

I know you didn’t ask, but shift your mindset a little and you’ll be solidly on the right track to succeeding in your dispatch career. Good luck!

So, if I were to take a job as parts clerk at CAK, I could be considered for this program?
I would say yes, with the caveat that the company may require you to stay in your position for a year before moving. That's company policy that is sometimes disregarded but frequently adhered to.

The big thing about doing a paper flight plan is that you can prove you know how to get the calculations. Yes we have computer programs that can do it so for us in a very short period of time, but doing it by hand gives you a good understanding of what the program is doing.

this thread is about PSA program and not how the ADF test should be taught and graded..

from how this reads you need to check2 boxes pretty much..

1- Do you work at PSA?

2- Do you have a DX certificate/interest in DX?
If answer is yes to both, then put in for it

this thread is about PSA program and not how the ADF test should be taught and graded..

from how this reads you need to check2 boxes pretty much..

1- Do you work at PSA?

2- Do you have a DX certificate/interest in DX?
If answer is yes to both, then put in for it

If someone already has a certificate, they don't need the program.

Looking at this from the long game:

I feel like this is a good, wholly-owned way, for AAL to keep as much "up the ladder" movement in-house as they possibly can. This is a PSA program, yes, but PSA's still owned by AAL. Long game, if you're at a regional, you're thinking that it's simply an internship and isn't going to be forever. Sure, there's the argument of "no regional contract lasts forever", or even the point made above that "PSA employees work for PSA." This is looking ahead as someone who's hypothetically loving their introduction to an airline industry: maybe a crew scheduler, maybe someone who's right up the block at Dayton International. These programs are regional ways to keep feeding in.

Not to be that guy, but their announcement explicitly states they will provide accommodation. Time will tell of course, and the company might prefer someone local over having to provide a hotel. But "ain't givn' no hotels" is so far, blatantly incorrect.

Looking at this from the long game:

I feel like this is a good, wholly-owned way, for AAL to keep as much "up the ladder" movement in-house as they possibly can. This is a PSA program, yes, but PSA's still owned by AAL. Long game, if you're at a regional, you're thinking that it's simply an internship and isn't going to be forever. Sure, there's the argument of "no regional contract lasts forever", or even the point made above that "PSA employees work for PSA." This is looking ahead as someone who's hypothetically loving their introduction to an airline industry: maybe a crew scheduler, maybe someone who's right up the block at Dayton International. These programs are regional ways to keep feeding in.
I agree. Overall, I think programs like PSA's and Republics are good for the industry, and can help get more people into jobs (like dispatching) that are sorely needed.

The big thing about doing a paper flight plan is that you can prove you know how to get the calculations. Yes we have computer programs that can do it so for us in a very short period of time, but doing it by hand gives you a good understanding of what the program is doing.
THIS!
It’s open to external candidates now. PSA Dispatch Pathways Program
I was logging on for the first time in ages to post a link to the program, but you beat me to it... :)

Back