Proper Response to ATC

I read it back, with callsign. A) It's what you're supposed to do, but more to the point B) I view it as insurance. Reminds me to look, or if it's an approach altitude, it reminds me to set it in the ole dumbass-window. If a frequency is so congested that they don't have time for "two nine nine four, FreightMonster such and such", they need to slow down or open another sector. In my view you really ought at least to give a "roger" and callsign, but it's no skin off my back if you don't.

I don't think Bubba and Vern belong on Chicago approach discussing their pancake breakfast, but honestly, some people get way too bent out of shape about shortening their transmissions to sound "more professional". You're a professional as long as the plane doesn't crash and the check clears. You don't need to prove it to me or anybody else on the frequency through steely-eyed radio-terseness.

I've also been chewed out by a pilot (rightly so) for issuing him an old altimeter. The altimeter was six hours old and I didn't notice. Fortunately the pilot did.

I'm not taking the time to read the whole thread, so sorry if this changes the subject :D

I've noticed over the past several months that, rough guesstimate, 70% of the altimeter settings that ATC has given me have been old (i.e. from the last ATIS cycle). They're usually not more than .01 or .02 off, so it's not that big of a deal, but I've always found it peculiar that they use non-current weather data. And it's not just an "oh they just put out a new one" bit either, I've seen some used that are over an hour old.

Taylor , your on the $ 99.9% of the time. While training students in VFR weather , its appropriate to teach the FAR/AIM phraseology , but in the real world , doing approaches , in busy airports down to minimums with tired pilots ,when the controllers are busy , we just click the mic. Now if its headings , altitudes etc , now thats different. You have to be able to distinguish between the two................... :D

I can not emphasis how much I disagree with this....and I fly in to, and out of, some of the busiest airspace in the world.

I've always hated the 'double-click' of the mic. What does that mean? Where can I find an explanation....I can't, 'cause it doesn't exist as an appropriate form of Pilot/ Controller communication. This is a very bad habit to form, IMO. Don't do it!

I always like the monetary themed ones.

Twenty-nine and a dime, American 69.

Thirty and a quarter, American 1332.

Or my patented: "3 buckshot 2" 30.02

Taylor , your on the $ 99.9% of the time. While training students in VFR weather , its appropriate to teach the FAR/AIM phraseology , but in the real world , doing approaches , in busy airports down to minimums with tired pilots ,when the controllers are busy , we just click the mic. Now if its headings , altitudes etc , now thats different. You have to be able to distinguish between the two................... :D
I gotta also disagree with this one. I will *occasionally* double-click the mic in response, but only as a reply to unimportant transmissions from ATC like "nice job, thanks for the help". If it's in any way related to flight operations, the minimum I'll respond with is my callsign--and I try to see how often I can get away with that alone. But I always read back significant elements like headings, altitudes, etc, or to simple instructions with "wilco".

I guess what bothered me about your reply is that situations with busy controllers, tired pilots and wx down to mins is when you should be reading back calls the most. It's too easy for a simple miscommunication to result in disaster.

Case in point. On the way to PHL(tropical storm Hanna passed by), I got ATIS, Altimeter was 2972. By the time, we got into PHL approach, it was 2942. That might not a lot difference in altitude. It could mean you can or can't made it to the runway. :p
In this case your altimeter is overreading and you are lower than actually indicated. Bad news. :(

That is 300' right? So if it overreads it could kill you on a socked in approach, and if it undereads you might have to go missed.

On the topic of altimeter settings, a question I've always had. If I'm on V16 heading towards PSP VOR westbound, when I am handed off to a new LA Center controller, I'm given an altimeter setting for Palm Springs, which I acknowledge. Later on in the hour, still flying to PSP, I hear another pilot check on and is given a new altimeter setting for Palm Springs. This is a debate I've had, do I change my altimeter setting to reflect the new setting given to the other pilot? One of the arguments I've heard is to not update because ATC is providing seperation based off of what your transponder is reporting, so if the altimeter setting varies a few hundred feet, ATC won't be expecting that change, and it messes up their seperation. But then the other side of the debate is that you always update to the current altimeter setting. I can imagine what the answer is, but i'd like to hear it from a controller themselves.

On the topic of altimeter settings, a question I've always had. If I'm on V16 heading towards PSP VOR westbound, when I am handed off to a new LA Center controller, I'm given an altimeter setting for Palm Springs, which I acknowledge. Later on in the hour, still flying to PSP, I hear another pilot check on and is given a new altimeter setting for Palm Springs. This is a debate I've had, do I change my altimeter setting to reflect the new setting given to the other pilot? One of the arguments I've heard is to not update because ATC is providing seperation based off of what your transponder is reporting, so if the altimeter setting varies a few hundred feet, ATC won't be expecting that change, and it messes up their seperation. But then the other side of the debate is that you always update to the current altimeter setting. I can imagine what the answer is, but i'd like to hear it from a controller themselves.

Not a controller but....WHA? Never heard that. Dial in the current setting so you're at the correct altitude; ATC's providing seperation based on where(altitude and location) they're expecting you to be.

Not based off of what they're reading on your Mode C readout?

I think you're makin this a lil more difficult than it is. Hopefully what's on their scope is the correct altitude, the one you should be at, the one the're expecting you to BE at, which you will be if you dial in the current altimeter.

Back