Professionalizing the Training Logbook

TravDK

My current logbook has taken me through training and a few hundred hours of dual given, but the scratch outs and different fonts/colors bothers me and I do not think it looks professional enough.

I plan on buying a nicer looking logbook and copying the hours over (painful i know).

My question is regarding the endorsements. Do I really need the high performace/altitude endorsements in the logbook I bring to a future interview or is it sufficient enough to have them safely in the other book?

My current logbook has taken me through training and a few hundred hours of dual given, but the scratch outs and different fonts/colors bothers me and I do not think it looks professional enough.

I plan on buying a nicer looking logbook and copying the hours over (painful i know).

My question is regarding the endorsements. Do I really need the high performace/altitude endorsements in the logbook I bring to a future interview or is it sufficient enough to have them safely in the other book?

Don't copy the hours over. when you go to an interview, they look for checkrides, failed checkrides ex. Just start logging your times with a nice black pen 0.7 ink or so, and add up your totals in pencial. That way you can fix mistake when adding. Finish off the old logbook, then start a new one. I always took good care of my logbook but my first logbook got waterlogged for when my apartment flooded. No big deal. I went and interviewed and just explainded what happend.

I know it may be a bit OCD, but my current log book drives me insane. Is it wrong to copy everything over if I choose to take the time?

Just start a new one.

Personally I expect to see some discrepencies, blue ink, line outs, and other errors, especially with a first logbook. It's more "real".

I know it may be a bit OCD, but my current log book drives me insane. Is it wrong to copy everything over if I choose to take the time?

I'd think that you would have to provide all logs (you can't sign or put signed and CFI'd endorsements in there) for the recruiter (or FAA) to verify. If it's just for looks (not functionality) leave it and improve your logbook manners :p, or stop this one and start a new log. You may save yourself a lot of work and stupid questions, in case they can't find signatures?

You haven't seen "unprofessional" until your instructor makes not 1, but 2 signoffs for the PPL ride, because he allowed you to commence with the checkride while the written test was expired...:banghead:

As a student, I KNEW there was a problem, but I had completed the oral portion while the test was still valid, and my instructors reasoning was that this was acceptable.

DPE missed it too.

So now it looks like I failed the first checkride. Anyone know if a potential employer in the future will believe me?

So now it looks like I failed the first checkride. Anyone know if a potential employer in the future will believe me?

They pink slipped you for that? Seems like you just were not qualified to take it, not that you failed it. Weird...

They pink slipped you for that? Seems like you just were not qualified to take it, not that you failed it. Weird...

Nope. I took the first ride and passed. A few days later I get a call from the DPE saying we need to fly again. I took and passed two checkrides, though the first was invalid.

I guess I was just worried about two seperate signoffs for the same checkride.

You haven't seen "unprofessional" until your instructor makes not 1, but 2 signoffs for the PPL ride, because he allowed you to commence with the checkride while the written test was expired...:banghead:

As a student, I KNEW there was a problem, but I had completed the oral portion while the test was still valid, and my instructors reasoning was that this was acceptable.

DPE missed it too.

If you had failed, then the second endorsement would be re-testing endorsement, slightly different than the initial. I should know, I've had to sign a few of them lately :banghead:.

Depends on who's looking at it. People expect a certain amount of errors in a logbook, it's just the nature of the beast. Show up to an interview with a perfect, pristine logbook and people are just gonna suspect a lot of that flight time is bogus.

Stick with your old one, just be more deliberate and painstaking in your entries going forward.

If you absolutely have to start a fresh a logbook, make sure you can get all your old CFI's to sign everything... or else just dont do it. Its no big deal if its a little sloppy. I think everyones first log book is sloppy!

Look. My first logbook is a mess. That's why I bought a second one. Then I screwed that one up more than I cared to and it was a good excuse to buy a 3rd. To make things more complicated the second one I kept logging my GA stuff until I filled it and my 3rd one has all my airline stuff. Guess what happens to my GA hours now that that 2nd logbook is full. A few have gone into the first one that wasn't finished. How's that for F'ed up? I always made sure to make sure x-outs were legible and my initial were next to them, but they pop up throughout the logbook.

I've gone through 4 interviews (2 CFI, 2 airline), all with job offers, I am a Captain now at Mesaba.

I'd be more inclined to not give you a job (if I were hiring) if I saw you were so anal that you completely redid ur logbook. I can only take so many "anal-mc-looney" FO's.

Smile at the interview, prove you can deal with pressure, if they ask about the logbook say "I didn't get serious about keeping good track of that stuff and making sure I could read it until later." If the place won't hire you for the logbook crap you don't need to work there.

Phht NO!

You are gonna sit in class for 5min and they'll get you signed off for the company. Of course I'm just a measly TP guy.

DPE missed it too.

They will.

Back