Professional Pilots, what drives you?

I HATED the morning shift. Be at work by 4, no way. LOVED the night shift. Plus I think a lot of it had to do with who else was on the shift. The AMs were a bunch of whiney jack-tards, while PMs was a bunch of younger people that "worked hard and played hard".

I've found that's true in MOST entry level hourly jobs. The AM guys are normally the "lifers" that have been there forever (hence the seniority to hold AM shifts) and grumble about everything. The PM crew are the guys that are just "roll with it" type people and hang out after work. That's the way it was on the ramp at SWA, and that's how it was at Disney, Sea World and Universal as well.

I HATED the morning shift. Be at work by 4, no way. LOVED the night shift. Plus I think a lot of it had to do with who else was on the shift. The AMs were a bunch of whiney jack-tards, while PMs was a bunch of younger people that "worked hard and played hard".
Yep.. The people I work with on AM aren't bad at all but they're probably all 30 something years older than me. Not a bad thing, but I spend a lot of time sitting in the break room quietly lol. Can't wait for the next shift bid so I can try to get evenings. But in an interview I said what I needed to say to get my foot in the door.

As for the original question: Women.

for me it's knowing i'm part of such a elite group of people (pilots). Of all the people in the world, maybe %1 of them have the aplitute and ability to fly an airplane. We are the elite of society. To me thats what it's all about. thats what drives me to do what I do. I have such pride to walk down the concorse with my pilot uniform, knowing people are looking at me, knowing Im representing the best that humanity has to offer. To me thats what it's all about..

What keeps you going? Is it the pure love of flying?

Flying on a nice day is great. What about all the other days?

You take the good with the bad, and it all averages out.

Some days you come out ahead, some days not so much.

Ultimately, like flying itself, attitude is everything. I know in advance that some days will be harder than others, but when I look back, they might be hard but they were still interesting.

On the days when nothing quite makes sense, I amuse myself as necessary to keep my spirits up. My favorite trick is to whistle the theme from 'Police Academy' as I walk through the terminal.

You feel what you think. Attitude really makes the difference.

I come home tired from a trip sometimes but still smile- this beats the hell out of nine hours a day in a windowless cube with an overflowing 'in' box.

for me it's knowing will be treated like crap. Of all the people in the world, maybe %1 of them have the money and patience to fly an airplane. We are the jokes of society. To me thats what it's all about. thats what drives me to do what I do. I have such pride to walk down the concorse with my pilot uniform, knowing people are scowling at me and getting angry that I have no idea what gate their flight is leaving out of because this is my first time here too!. To me thats what it's all about..

Edited for accuracy

Speed. Altitude. Clear skies. ILS to minimums. Base to final turn on glide, airspeed and centerline. Landings that can't be felt when its gusting 25 knots. Sunrise above the overcast clouds, feeling like it rose just for me. The quiet hum of happy engines. Finding the runway or approach lights at night. Watching my student perform and excel. Witnessing the moment of realization. The adrenaline of my first solo. The adrenaline of their first solo. Congratulating an applicant on a passed check ride.

Every day I'm doing what I love to do.

What keeps me going?

When I get someone home at night, or get someone to their doctor's appointment, or get people their groceries. When I touch down and the kid in the back is still passed out. When the sky is the right color. When my paycheck cashes.

Back