Professional Pilots, what drives you?

What keeps you going? Is it the pure love of flying?

Flying on a nice day is great. What about all the other days?

The thought of having a real job gives me the shivers. Been there, did that, never again.

The pro in me hates bad weather days. The romantic in me loves them.

I fly 135 freight. I started because I loved to fly. Now, I only love to fly on those crappy weather nights (contrary to what most pilots want, I love the weather). I love to take a beat up ol' freighter through the weather.

Day to day what keeps me going is spending every day at home and every night with my girlfriend (outstation based... sleep with the girl and restore a car during the day). Also, I get every weekend off to watch football and Nascar (not a bad schedule for being a pilot) and can get drunk every Saturday night (and Sunday watching football too).

What keeps me going long term? I guess it's all I really know how to do. My Poli Sci degree won't get me a job at the moment (highly unlikely anyway). Hell, I don't even have a desire to move beyond 135 freight. Freight fits my personality... give me an airplane and let me do my job alone.

I'm thinking going professional only after I pick up that military retirement, it'll make it easier to breathe while making that misery of a pay they got at regionals.

I want my kid to see me doing something I love, rather than something I can just do. I spent 9 years as an auto dealership wrench, and made great money, but was misreable. Now I make 1/3 the money, but am 1000x happier. And if the money never comes, thank god the wife makes more than I do.

The need to have enough money in my bank account to buy that cheeseburger on the drive home.

Other than that,

I like the challenge. I like trying to do the job "error free". It seems like it would be easy, with autopilots and dispatchers and air traffic controllers, but there's always room for improvement. That's one of the cool things about the job, no matter how good you do it, there's almost always some little thing that could've been better. Even if you block out 10 early with a full boat, make every turn on the taxi like you're in an '85 towncar, line up for takeoff 747 style right on the center line, make every radio call to AIM specs, and grease the landing like buttah, there's always that crossing restriction you leveled off about 5 NM too soon for. Or those 3 or 4 knots you flew above target during the approach. Nothing earth-shattering, but things to improve.

Now with that said, I'm just an RJ pilot, so pseudo-professional I guess :p

More like a hut if the pay scale continues on its current trend.

Dunno bout shovels, but garbage men make 24k a year...30 percent increase if you want to think about a career change.

OP as others have said, paychecks is a big one. For me, I like seeing a student succeed but I don't know if CFIing will ever pay the bills so I will get back to you in a few years on what keeps me going in the airlines. Right now I am thinking about a career change to mechanical or electrical engineering with CFI on the side.

Yeah, I'm going ATC. While waiting for that call, I'm going back to school to get my A&P. While I do ATC I will get my aerospace engineering degree by being a part time student. So that's the plan. Flying... I love the sights and sounds, along with all the cool people you meet. The unfortunate thing is the money is horrible. My girlfriend went to the hospital last night, she blew out her back... bad. She's been crying for 4 hours now but we can't afford the meds, so I'm begging to employers and friends for a cash advance as payday isn't till thursday.

Living check to check sucks. Oh, and all the payday advance places are closed on Sundays.

money.jpg

If there was need for money, I wouldn't be working.

Honestly, I LOVE my job. I worked hard and got to where I am today. Plenty of crappy days before but I knew that there had to be a position in aviation where I could personally thrive. International corporate flying was it for me.

Another thing that keeps me going are the angel flights. There is nothing more rewarding than getting someone, somewhere just in the nick of time.

Everyone needs to find within themselves why they are doing this. I knew that I will never do this job for free. Money is an integral part of life but that is the result of the work that I do. I love the job for what it is.

I see that TPArob is now MI rob, so you have no excuse not to come to a Space Coast MNG.

Nothing like getting the door shut and getting off the blocks.

There are so many "ugh" parts to the job, but once you get the door shut and off the gate, you can shut them out, and do what's fun.

Okay, it's no secret I'm not a big fan of the airline I fly for. They treat us like machines rather than people, pay us less than average and expect us to shut up and get in line rather than rock the boat. That being said, I don't think I could see myself doing any other job. I really do enjoy flying, and I enjoy the challenges that come along with the job. I was getting complacent and bored as a first officer, and I don't think that's a good thing. Upgrading, from a job satisfaction standpoint, was the best thing I could have done. I'm hardly ever complacent anymore because I realize it's MY call and my judgement could seriously affect not only my life and career, but those of others. It's a lot of responsibility, and it's not something I think I was totally prepared for when I upgraded. Frankly, to hear some of our FOs talking, it scares me that they'll be CAs some day. I try to talk to them about it, but I'm not sure if it's going in one ear and out the other or if it's sinking in. I hope it's the latter.

Money is obviously a driver. Since I'm not an FO anymore, I WOULDN'T get a raise if I went and flipped burgers or took that assisstant manager job at McD's. If I were still an FO, odds are good I'd be out of aviation and working as a zookeeper right now. Job was there and offered, but the pay cut was too deep compared to CA pay, even at a crappy regional. Days off, sadly, aren't a motivating factor. I don't get many more days off than the average 9-5 Joe. Two extra in a month, maybe.

The big driving factor is that light at the end of the tunnel that says "Hang in there. Things will turn around, majors will start hiring, and in a few years you'll be able to lift yourself out of the regional rat race and move on." Bonus points for moving to a city I WANT to live in rather than just living in base so I don't have to commute.

When is the Space Coast MNG? I may only be over here for a few more weeks. I might be heading overseas for a year or two.

That's why I posted the question. I may be in a position to finish all my ratings when I get back. Money won't be an issue when I come back, if I get to go.

I was just checking to see if the same things that drive me are driving many of you. The answer is yes.

...The realization that I have to work to live, and if i have to work I might as well fly. It aint all that bad.
I'm not a professional pilot yet, but that's the way I look at it. I've heard both the good and bad from my dad (an airline mechanic) and from other airline crew (especially from this website) and I think that point really brings it all home. If you have to work anyhow and put up with the accompanying crap, you might as well do something that you're interested in and/or is one of your life's passions. I look at my grandfather, he was a railroad worker and a farmer, not an easy life and certainly not the ticket to wealth, but he really loved his jobs and was always satisfied with his life. He had a great deal of pride in his work. You have to do what you love and what makes you happy, otherwise you're just another unfeeling cog in the great capitalist machine. You have to make the most of life.

I fly 135 freight. I started because I loved to fly. Now, I only love to fly on those crappy weather nights (contrary to what most pilots want, I love the weather). I love to take a beat up ol' freighter through the weather.

Day to day what keeps me going is spending every day at home and every night with my girlfriend (outstation based... sleep with the girl and restore a car during the day). Also, I get every weekend off to watch football and Nascar (not a bad schedule for being a pilot) and can get drunk every Saturday night (and Sunday watching football too).

What keeps me going long term? I guess it's all I really know how to do. My Poli Sci degree won't get me a job at the moment (highly unlikely anyway). Hell, I don't even have a desire to move beyond 135 freight. Freight fits my personality... give me an airplane and let me do my job alone.

That's where I want to be! I got the "drunk on Saturday's and Football on Sunday's" part. I am working on "Learn to love the soup, get a woman and get a freight job (in any order)" part.

:bandit:

b

I HATED the morning shift. Be at work by 4, no way. LOVED the night shift. Plus I think a lot of it had to do with who else was on the shift. The AMs were a bunch of whiney jack-tards, while PMs was a bunch of younger people that "worked hard and played hard".

Back