PROBLEM:Piper Twin Comanche door handle

Keefe Overby

Does anyone have any experience with the door handle on the Twin Comanche?my problem is the handle will Grind the gear flat inside the handle,BUT the most inner part will remain intact thus allowing the user to actuate the gears if the user firmly applies pressure onto the handle while turning the handle.I would appreciate any help thank you.(i have went through 3 handles so far:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Does anyone have any experience with the door handle on the Twin Comanche?my problem is the handle will Grind the gear flat inside the handle,BUT the most inner part will remain intact thus allowing the user to actuate the gears if the user firmly applies pressure onto the handle while turning the handle.I would appreciate any help thank you.(i have went through 3 handles so far:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Didn't you ask your A&P mechanic about it after the third handle replacement?

Just buy a box of new door handles. We have gone through 5 in 1.5 years.

im just going to have to improvise a washer that will make the thing work.:rolleyes:

I'm not a mechanic yet, so I'm not talking from experience, but for what I learned in class and the FAR's

Anyhow, I think you're not authorized to do that kind of work in an airplane, at least that you have an Airframe mechanic rating, you are working under the supervision of a mechanic, or you are working in an approved service station.

Also (again I'm not talking from experience) I don't think is a good idea to improvise with hardware, You should always use approved materials and processes when working in type certificated aircraft.

We have a few experienced A&P's in the house, maybe they could chime in.

I'm not a mechanic yet, so I'm not talking from experience, but for what I learned in class and the FAR's

Anyhow, I think you're not authorized to do that kind of work in an airplane, at least that you have an Airframe mechanic rating, you are working under the supervision of a mechanic, or you are working in an approved service station.

Also (again I'm not talking from experience) I don't think is a good idea to improvise with hardware, You should always use approved materials and processes when working in type certificated aircraft.

I've seen all sorts of interesting and strange and interesting improvisations in the bush, not legal, but typically works most of the time. :rolleyes:

Weel, you can take a new handk and install it and drill a small hole thru the handle and spindle then push a Roll-pin through them both. Those plastic handles wear out all the time, that is about the most effective fix I have sen short of finding someone that works in a machine shop and machining you one out of aluminum....

as a quick fix a basicly added some safety wire to the door post to hold the car door handle on that we got from autozone,it looks good,but it will jump out of position and the user has to firmly press the handle back over the improvised washer(safety wire and friction tape!mcgyver!!),it should work until the REAL airplane parts arrive!:rolleyes:

Its called undocumented maintenance. Happens all the time in the real world. P.B.A. (Probably Be Alright) baby! :)

yes vice grips will work, but it was my LAST,LAST,LAST option,it might destroy the recieving post's gears THEN it gets really frustrating:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:its better to strip out a 5 dollar handle than the innards of the door itself!

yup,its all about keeping them going here in the REAL WORLD!

yup,its all about keeping them going here in the REAL WORLD!

The "REAL WORLD" is full of smoking holes, and believe me, the NTSB will come out of that smoking hole with that quick unapproved fix in their hands.

AS one of my teachers says: "we are not in the business of fixing aircraft, we are in the business of AIRWORTHINESS"

I'm not saying that the fix that you are talking about is going to effect the airworthiness of the aircraft, but the attitude of "yup,its all about keeping them going here in the REAL WORLD!" is not quite right, especially when you don't have a mechanic rating.

Also, I think it is interesting that you deleted the post where you wrote basically that you were the aircraft cleaner and that you were doing this fixes by yourself.:rolleyes:

um basic mechanic work IS approved if it is not a complicated process,(owner operator CAN do work to his aircraft just as long as it is not a complex assembly)a door handle is NOT part of the airframe and it only requires a speed clip to hold it on,(its not a complex assembly!!!)

Back