Preferrential Treatment to Southwest

There's some special treatment there, but I think it's mostly because it goes both ways...SWA helps them out when needed as well.

As the Airways crew told us a few months when Airways/Cactus was being decided upon, someone asked him what they thought their new would be and he responded with "Behind Southwest".

I love the orange team and hope to fly for them someday...

I can't talk about your specific instance, but I can tell you that I have never given preferential treatment to a specific airline. I do have issues with some legacy airlines, specifically ones that say, ummm may be hubbed out of DFW, because they NEVER see the traffic that they are following, but i do not penalize them for this. They just get extra spacing on the final so I don't have a deal or go-around. Maybe it is because ATL is just too damn busy to play favorites. But i digress.

Oh and as far as pizzas given to the workforce. We have had instances where the airlines have tried to send pizzas, Thanksgiving dinners, etc. and have had them turned away by manglement because it breaks the $50.00 conduct and discipline gift rule. Total BS.

I've spoken to a controller at one particular facility about SWA and she told me that if able, they will work with SWA pilots to give them what they request for two reasons in particular (not necessarily at the expense of other traffic, but just in general). In no order, she said SWA pilots are the nicest pilots they speak with (that same airline hubbed out of DFW was apparently the most rude) and they're generally willing to work with whatever request you make of them.

Remember the mission of ATC is the safe, expeditious and orderly flow of traffic. SWA gets it done. I don't see it as preferential treatment for a particular airline, but rather a mutually beneficial arrangement. Controllers don't want to deal with airplanes any longer than they have to. The sooner you get out of their airspace and onto wherever you need to be, the better off they'll be. It's too bad a few other airlines couldn't adopt this mentality.

True story. I was plane watching one time and watched an AA MD82 land and roll out about 2/3 of the way down the runway. About 2-3 minutes later, a SWA 737 landed, threw on full reversers and brakes and was able to turn off about midway down the field. The 737 made it to the gate before the MD82 even made it to the terminal apron. I think I could have jogged alongside at the speed the MD82 was taxiing. I can't imagine the cluster that DFW must be with that policy...or the fuel that is wasted for that matter.

True story. I was plane watching one time and watched an AA MD82 land and roll out about 2/3 of the way down the runway. About 2-3 minutes later, a SWA 737 landed, threw on full reversers and brakes and was able to turn off about midway down the field. The 737 made it to the gate before the MD82 even made it to the terminal apron. I think I could have jogged alongside at the speed the MD82 was taxiing. I can't imagine the cluster that DFW must be with that policy...or the fuel that is wasted for that matter.

Keep in mind AA or as they say Mercan has a F-ed upped checklist and a lot is going on in the cockpit of that MD. :crazy:

Whaaaaa. Southwest is a better airline than mine and their pilots do it better than we do. Whaaaaaa...
I smell conspiracy against us all!

Happens in Vegas a lot. I really don't care, more $ for my flight crew and I'd be sitting reserve anyways. Might as well enjoy the view a bit longer.

If I missed my commute I'd be pissed, though. The flip side is SWA is pretty good about getting pilots on, at least that's what I hear (not a commuter).

Freight wise, when I worked at ace, as long as we moved fast and could handle the sequence, they'd keep us in really really tight, let us turn inside, give us a circle to runway 32 off ILS for runway 7 if we'd keep our speed at 185kts till the inner marker. As far as I'm concerned, the faster I can get on the ground, the better, because at ACE, you'll time out for the year anyway, so if I can complete more flights quicker, I'll get more time off in december. Plus, it helps the company, everyone goes home happy.

In no order, she said SWA pilots are the nicest pilots they speak with (that same airline hubbed out of DFW was apparently the most rude) and they're generally willing to work with whatever request you make of them.

I have to agree that their pilot group is full of a bunch of nice guys and gals. All of their flight crews are really nice and friendly (flight attendants included.) I've rarely ever had a problem getting on a flight. One time, on a full flight, a captain even called up the flight attendants and told them to get my bags out of the overhead and have it ready for me so that I could get out a little faster to catch a tight connection.

They are truly the greatest when it comes to jumpseating.

That full reverse effort probably just wasted whatever fuel conservation effort was in effect for the flight...and I flat out refuse to throw everyone out of their seats to make a midfield turnoff. And the braking characteristics of the MD80 are such that it's lucky they ever stop on the runway in the first place! :)

As far as I'm concerned, the faster I can get on the ground, the better, because at ACE, you'll time out for the year anyway, so if I can complete more flights quicker, I'll get more time off in december.

I'm not following the math on that one. Wouldn't you time out sooner (calendar wise) if each flight of the day took longer?

:confused:

And thanks to that little extended downwind we were given that day I was forced to run from one end of the terminal to the other because I couldn't leave the airplane until about 10 min prior to push... and my fat buttocks do not like run across the terminal

Did you make that 4:00 flight home? I thought the flight left out of the gate next to ours?

Appreciate all the responses. Flying a T-Prop in and out of LGA and BOS for a few years I can understand about how ATC works all traffic in and out efficiently. I have been worked efficiently in and out of these airports.

There is a difference between working efficiently in and out of airports and being given preferential treatment. SWA is given preferential treatment in my mind.

Did you make that 4:00 flight home? I thought the flight left out of the gate next to ours?

Apparently the person in ops was incompetent as usual and gave me the gate for a flight number i did not ask for. The flight of the gate next to us was going to vegas i think, my flight was out of 87, go figure. I hustled over and ran over only a few old women and small children but i made it.

I'm not following the math on that one. Wouldn't you time out sooner (calendar wise) if each flight of the day took longer?

:confused:

sorry I should have explained, a lot of times, if you get back a little early you'll get an extra trip

Also, on charters, if you opt to help unload (which sucks, but ehh) you can get a "load slip" which counts as $25 on the next pay check, hell, one pay period, loadslips added an extra $400 bucks to my check, <borat voice>Very Nice</borat voice>. So, there's a big incentive to do as many flights as you can, more flights = more money, and timed out quicker.

Appreciate all the responses. Flying a T-Prop in and out of LGA and BOS for a few years I can understand about how ATC works all traffic in and out efficiently. I have been worked efficiently in and out of these airports.

There is a difference between working efficiently in and out of airports and being given preferential treatment. SWA is given preferential treatment in my mind.
So, what do you want us to do about it? What do you want Southwest to do about it, turn down the clearance? Life is not fair and complaining is natural, but what is your proposed solution?

Seggy, SWA definitely gets preferential treatment. I don't know how many times I've seen this over the years.

I'll spare the details, but I remember one issue several years ago in PBI where it caused us to have to go back to the gate for more fuel after a ground delay. On that particular day, I asked the ground controller to give me his number so that I could call him to discuss. He denied any preferential treatment but the whole deal was complete bull$&^@! I am still PO'd about that situation.

Their, "get it done" attitude many times crosses the line, is unprofessional and is dangerous, IMO (ie Burbank, Midway, etc).

The pilot that pulled the Burbank stunt landed PAST the intersecting runway, and there's gotta be less than 2,000' of runway left at that point. Pilots from lots of companies have pulled that stunt. How about American landing during a thunderstorm in Little Rock?

BTW The numbers for the Midway accident worked out, and they ran the numbers past their dispatcher. Everything said they were going to stop on the remaining runway.

So, what do you want us to do about it? What do you want Southwest to do about it, turn down the clearance? Life is not fair and complaining is natural, but what is your proposed solution?

Don't blame Southwest for accepting the clearance, really I have no beef with ATC or the Southwest folk. It is what it is.

However, maybe next time I think Southwest gets preferential treatment, I'll make sure I note the time, place, flight number, a little more closely, and ask for a number to call the ATC Facility to clarify why I slowed down.

I really don't want to get anyone in trouble or make a mountain out of an ant hill, BUT if enough guys and gals out there call it like they see it, maybe things will change.

The pilot that pulled the Burbank stunt landed PAST the intersecting runway, and there's gotta be less than 2,000' of runway left at that point. Pilots from lots of companies have pulled that stunt. How about American landing during a thunderstorm in Little Rock?

BTW The numbers for the Midway accident worked out, and they ran the numbers past their dispatcher. Everything said they were going to stop on the remaining runway.

What! You mean to tell me that even though the book said it was ok it wasn't? :panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Do you not trust your V speeds either?

When the engineering data, which has a margin of error built into it, says you're ok, you're supposed to be ok.

Do you not trust your V speeds either?

When the engineering data, which has a margin of error built into it, says you're ok, you're supposed to be ok.

I'm pretty sure the pilots would still get canned even if the numbers indicated everything was supposed to work.

Back