PPL Written

mavsfan31

So I just found out that the club I'm a part of makes you take the written exam before any XC is allowed. Needless to say, I'm in a bit of a hurry to get studying.

What would be the best course of action to learn the materials for the PPL written exam?

Theres the DVD's from King Air Schools, Sportys, etc., but are kind of expensive. They are cheesey and im sure a lot of people would say its a waste of money but it helped me pass the test :rawk:

talk to me :D

nah, just do your thing that you got from sporty's I think it was and you'll do fine.

hope you solo tomorrow!!

Wow. Your club is more lax than its sister club that I was in. I had to have the written done before I could solo.

I spent time LEARNING (not just reading, but learning the REASON for the correct answers) the Gleim manual, and taking practice tests on the Sporty's website twice a day. When I was consistently scoring over 90, I took the test at American Flyers over at ADS.

Which club are you in, and will they hire me as an instructor? ;)

I used to just go through the Gleim books a few times. I'd mark the ones I got wrong or had some doubt about and spend some time studying those. Then I'd retest on just those I missed. I'd do this until I knew every question (I left out the work intensive questions like XC planning, just made sure I knew how to do NDB stuff, etc), and then would go through the whole book one more time. If you can go through the book and answer them all correctly, you can do it on the test! I don't think I ever studied more than a few days for the writtens and ended up with: 97, 99, 100, 100, 100, 100 (PPL, IR, CFII, Commercial, CFI, FOI). I really really enjoyed studying for the last three at the UT outdoor pool with the sorostitutes out in full force over the summer.

I hear people complain about the information on the test, but I tend to disagree. As Bill mentioned, try to actually learn as much as you can as opposed to, "Oh yeah this is the xc question with that speed and this distance...I think I memorized the answer to be 25nm!" If for no other reason, learn it now to make studying for your CFI easier down the road.

I know xc is exciting, but don't be in a rush to get things done. I fell into that trap a few times during my training and had to relearn things later that I decided at the time were not that important.

I always use the ASA test prep books...questions answers and explanations . Go through the first time and mark the ones I missed and go through a few more times.

Read and understand the gleim book, then take practice test after practice test on sportys till you can score around a 90 percent each time. Ask a cfi or anyone around here if you have any questions.

I scored a 98 using this method so i guess it can work.

Theres the DVD's from King Air Schools, Sportys, etc., but are kind of expensive. They are cheesey and im sure a lot of people would say its a waste of money but it helped me pass the test :rawk:
Not to mention how easy it is to watch a King video and get distracted by Martha's goddess like demeanor.

i used the gleim book and took several practice tests on sporty's website. it worked well i got a 85 on my written. i had studied so much that i finished my test in 30 minutes.

One thing my CFI told me to do was go to exams4pilots.org and set it up for 100 questions and do all those. It helped me but I can see someone getting burned out pretty quickly doing that.

Which club are you in, and will they hire me as an instructor? ;)

I used to just go through the Gleim books a few times. I'd mark the ones I got wrong or had some doubt about and spend some time studying those. Then I'd retest on just those I missed. I'd do this until I knew every question (I left out the work intensive questions like XC planning, just made sure I knew how to do NDB stuff, etc), and then would go through the whole book one more time. If you can go through the book and answer them all correctly, you can do it on the test! I don't think I ever studied more than a few days for the writtens and ended up with: 97, 99, 100, 100, 100, 100 (PPL, IR, CFII, Commercial, CFI, FOI). I really really enjoyed studying for the last three at the UT outdoor pool with the sorostitutes out in full force over the summer.

I hear people complain about the information on the test, but I tend to disagree. As Bill mentioned, try to actually learn as much as you can as opposed to, "Oh yeah this is the xc question with that speed and this distance...I think I memorized the answer to be 25nm!" If for no other reason, learn it now to make studying for your CFI easier down the road.

I know xc is exciting, but don't be in a rush to get things done. I fell into that trap a few times during my training and had to relearn things later that I decided at the time were not that important.
I think you were being sarcastic, but texins.org/flyingclub is the website. I don't know if we are hiring. If we are, I wouldn't imagine you would have too many students.

Yeah, it just hit me yesterday that I really should start cracking down and studying. I don't want to be caught in the position of waiting for my xc simply because I haven't taken the written.

Wow. Your club is more lax than its sister club that I was in. I had to have the written done before I could solo.

I spent time LEARNING (not just reading, but learning the REASON for the correct answers) the Gleim manual, and taking practice tests on the Sporty's website twice a day. When I was consistently scoring over 90, I took the test at American Flyers over at ADS.
I was looking through the regs tonight, and it turns out I need to have my written done only before I solo xc.

I had to take a presolo test, 42 questions long. Went over basic club rules, and a few other simple things. It wasn't a pass/fail, I just went over it with my instructor. Hopefully I'll solo on Sunday, it was a no go today.

I was looking through the regs tonight, and it turns out I need to have my written done only before I solo xc.

I had to take a presolo test, 42 questions long. Went over basic club rules, and a few other simple things. It wasn't a pass/fail, I just went over it with my instructor. Hopefully I'll solo on Sunday, it was a no go today.

Yeah, kinda windy out there. Good luck.

Make sure you tell the TKI controllers "student pilot" - they're really good about being patient with you and helping you out if you goof up or get nervous.

Who's your instructor?

Not to mention how easy it is to watch a King video and get distracted by Martha's goddess like demeanor.

My Friend, I do believe you need mental help:crazy: Actually, I think they charge TOO MUCH...but they do have a good product. You will pass your written quickly with the king stuff!

Back